Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startup / Shutdown Controller w/ LCD Char Screen

Inverter Based Startup/Shutdown Controller

This SSC is features a Microchip PIC16F877A microcontroller for system control.

Features:

- Startup/Shutdown on key or bypass button
    - Inverter power only option
    - Subwoofer amplifier power toggle
    - Outside/inside temperature digital readings (F or C)
    - Pushbutton menus for timing delay selection
    - 16 x 2 Character LCD screen visual interface

I am working on a PC Board for this controller since you can see the mess of soldering and wires I made of this thing. But it works. Currently I do not have the DS18B20 digital temp sensors installed or coded properly. I will shortly and will update accordingly.

Here are some pictures:
    Attached Files
    May all your dreams come true.....unless your dreams are nightmares ~ L.S.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67759

Video

Here is a video showing a brief overview of the operation.
    Check it out. Let me know whacha think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCdxgZeacPY

Comment

Wow, that is some very nice work. Aside from the power controller, all your fabrication looks really nice! Do you have a larger image for your schematic drawing? This looks like something I might try to put together, even though I don't have any experience working with a PIC or anything. I have a LCD screen already in my setup with a serial control board, it would be neat to see if I could integrate a controller like yours into that.

Comment

nice work!

Comment

Board looks good but if you decide to build another one, you might want to take a good look at these. The price can't be beat.
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82800

This is what I used. the I/O cards come with cables and connectors for daisy chaining to 4 channel cards together. The Controller comes with a builtin programmer.

Comment

That is a sweet little dev. board. The price is pretty unbeatable too. I built mine and programmed the logic, for utility yes, but almost purely for the challange of it. I have been in the process of learning microcontrollers and circuiting for the last several months because of this little thing, (since I knew nothing of either 6 months ago). I love the possibilities of programming and conjurring logic for microcontrollers and electronics. I have a LONG way to go too. I spent a lot of time figuring all of this out, but it was totally worth it. I would have felt cheated had I bought something. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it and that would have been the smart thing to do. Thank you for the suggestion, it's a good one.

Happy building fellas!!!

Comment

I am in total aggrement with you. I brought this up mainly for those who might want to do something similar but lack the time or experince to tackle someting like this. I also had no experience with the PIC 6 months ago. I was also going to build my own as you have done, but my main interest was getting my carPC up and running reliably since the OPUS 120 PSU built in controller was not reliable. I also thought about problems later and having to troubleshhot and repair the parts I built. I now have spare parts for everything, even a OPUS PSU that I thought was bad, but ending up being a short on the motherboard.

I have added inputs for the ACC/RUN switch, remote door unlock, remote door lock, door open, OPUS/CPU reset and Valet switch

My outputs control the OPUS idle/power mode, CPU power on/off, CPU reset, XM Radio Module power, Xenarc TS Power

With this I/O I have complete control over my PC. for example:

Normally either the remote unlocking the door or the door being opened will start the PC, but If I don't want my PC to start from pressing the remote open or door being open I press the remote lock and then within 1.5 sec I press the unlock, the PC will not start until the ACC/RUN switch is turned on.
              This was added when I found that while cleaning the car I was constantly opening and closing the doors.

Comment

Sweet!! That sounds very nice and sophisticated. I love it. You should post your controller data for all of us folks so that we can take advantage of your hard work. It's fun to realize how simple this stuff really is when you take the time to learn it. Then possibilities seem endless.

Comment

holy crap!!
                  that is definitely the nicest install i've ever seen. love it so much

is there any chance you will sell the startup/shutdown controller with lcd??
                  i'll be very interested
                  dsatx in voompc 2 case <HERE>

Comment

Me too!!

Comment

New Schematic And Parts List

Hey, You guys are very supportive thanx. I have recieved a lot of questions recently. I hope I can answer all of them for you guys.

A fellow member, Opticzero, offered to work up a schem and I think he did a great job. It has a unique look, but most importantly it gets the point across. I'm sorry you guys haven't been able to read my hand written one very well. Also, he worked up a parts list as well. I hope these help.

As for building them for sale. I was recently working on a PCB for this thing, but it's been put on the back burner for a bit. I'm moving to Omaha next week and as a single father with a 4 yr old 100% of the time, I have been busy. I will get the thing finished and I'll let you know if I'll be able to make some for you guys who aren't able to build one. It's really not that hard though. I'll let you all know soon.

Thanks again for all of your support.

Luwe
                      Attached Files

Comment

For those of you who are having a hard time compiling the progam, this is the compiler IDE i used.
                        http://www.microengineeringlabs.com/...es/win_ide.htm
                        I will try to post a HEX file for you guys. I do find it much more adventageous for you so that you can use any PIC chip you want and can personalize the code for yourselves. I'll have to round up the HEX file.

Comment

I have tried to compile your code and noticed that there were some errors that showed. The following lines during the compile process were displayed. You have stated that you had some errors in your code and I just want to make sure that the ones listed below are them or did I do something wrong. Also posting the HEX file would be GREAT..

The following lines can up as (BAD EXPRESSION)

lcdout $FE, $C0+4, DEC2 SHTDWN_TIME, " Sec."
                          lcdout $FE, $C0+4, DEC2 LOAD_TIME, " Sec."
                          lcdout $FE, $C0+4, DEC2 IGNDLY_TIME, " Sec."
                          Lcdout $fe, 1, Dec (temperature / 100), ".", DEC2 temperature, " C"
                          Lcdout $fe, $C0, Dec (temperature / 100), ".", DEC2 temperature, " ", 223, "F"
                          LCDOUT $FE, $C0, "-", DEC TEMPERATURE, ".", DEC2 TEMPERATURE, " ", 223, "F"

The following lines can up as (SYNTAX ERROR)

OWOut DQ, 1, [$55, $28,$B1,$FE,$22,$00,$00,$00,$5D,$44] ' Start temperature conversion
                          OWIn DQ, 4, [count_remain] ' Check for still busy converting
                          OWOut DQ, 1, [$55, $28,$B1,$FE,$22,$00,$00,$00,$5D,$44] ' Read the temperature
                          OWIn DQ, 0, [temperature.LowByte, temperature.HighByte, count_remain, count_per_c]

Comment

Forgot to add in the technical information.
                            The compiler, which I am using, is PicBasic Pro with MicroCode Studio as the editor. The chip, which Iím trying to compile for is the PIC16F877A.

Comment

Thanks for your Hex file. I'm downloading it right now. Your code will allow me to test the circuit, which I built from the drawings. Once I have everything working, Iíll let you know.

Comment

Working...
                              X