Combo inductors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo inductors

All comercial power supplies I know used some kind of torroid core that has 4 different inductor on it. It allows a great physical space saving. I have opened about 6 different power supply from different manufacturers, they all use it.
    The values of the inductors are quite similar to the one needed for sproggy. If I use one of those "combo-iunductor" I would gain about 3 square inches of space, thus reducing the size of sproggy down.
    Are you guys aware of any limitations / problems / watch outs for such design?

Thanks

abbas

"Combo-inductors" are more commonly known as transformers. The sproggy design is constructed from separate regulator circuits. The transformer design you see most manufacturers using is similar to the +12/-12 section of the sproggy.

It is non trivial to combine all of the inductors of the sproggy into a single transformer, since the regulators will all have different switching frequencies and will interfere with each other.

Rob
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Withey
      "Combo-inductors" are more commonly known as transformers. The sproggy design is constructed from separate regulator circuits. The transformer design you see most manufacturers using is similar to the +12/-12 section of the sproggy.

It is non trivial to combine all of the inductors of the sproggy into a single transformer, since the regulators will all have different switching frequencies and will interfere with each other.

Rob

Thanks for the answer. I am very sure it is not a transformer. Take a normal choke and add another layer of wire that give you 2 chokes on one torroid.

Comment

I believe they are inductors, as transformers have a primary and secondary side, but in these, each winding connects the two sides instead of returning to the same side.

Comment

this is what I am talking about. Any Ideas?

Comment

I do think they are a common choke or inductor, the difference however between the sproggy and the computer power supply is that with the computer ps, all the outputs are driven by a single PWM chip and all operate at the same frequency, but with the sproggy, they are controlled by multiple chips which operate at different frequencies, as Rob said.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
              I was hopping to use /reuse them but I guess if the frequense is different between the maxim chips used in sproggy it may be a problem.

Comment

Working...
              X