X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX problem...again

right, got everything in my car today.

Turned on the ignition and nothing happened

looked in the boot at the pc, can't se anything wrong, so I pulled off the wires (red and black) that go between the M2-atx and the pins on the motherboard where the power switch normally goes........and the pc booted!
    messed around for a bit then though I would try power down....ignition off.....pc still on.....remembered red and black wires still off. So to the boot plugged it on and pc powered down 4 seconds later.

For some reason the pc will only power on if I pull the red and black wire off the motherboard.....4 seconds after I put it back on it cuts the power.....and I have tried the wire both ways round and it makes no difference.

Help please. at the moment its useless as I have to go to the boot to turn it on and off!

I have seared by the way...for the last 3 hours, no answer.

Comment

First, check your ABCD jumper settings onthe M2.

Try connecting another switch to the MB header.

Disconnect ALL power to the M2.

Reconnect power, and turn the key. Wait a couple fo seconds. Press your new button, and see if it turns on and off.

If so, again, disconnect the power to the M2 (of course, with the carputer shutdown) and reconnect the wires from the M2 to the MB switch header.

Try again, and report back.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

am I right in thinking that if the switch works then I need a new acc line with a bigger amp wire? to try and sort out constant voltage?

one other thing...there is interferance on my screen of some sort, but only when windows is booted and not there is no vgs. would this be a bad earth on the pc?

Comment

right.

with another switch connected to the mobo header, works fine.
          reconnected the m2 to the header...stil not working. It turns on when I pull the connection to the header off, then when I put it back on it kills the power after 4 seconds.

I tested the acc and red power lines with multi meter, 12v on the red, 11.9v on the acc.

I also changed the earth to a more heafty wire, no difference, still got interferance on the screen....which gets worse if I rev the engine? souns like an earth problem still right? shall I change points and see if that will help?

Comment

The accessory wire draws VERY little current. No need to upgrade it. You should, however, confirm that you get 12 volts when you turn the key on, and nothing when you turn the key off.

As for the screen interference, are you pulling power from the M2 for the screen. If not, you should, assuming that you are not overtaxing the PS already.

Have you run a power calculator on your system??

Also, what was the result of doing what I suggested.

Michael
            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

First, have you pulled the power to the M2 completely before trying again?? Do that first.

It sounds like the switch header is grounding. So, when you pull the wire, to the MB, it is like a momentary button push, so it boots. When you reconnect, since it is grounded/as if the button is being help pushed, the MB goes into hard off, instead of gracefully shutting down.

Check to make sure the M2 is not mistakenly touching any metal underneath. It, especially near the J8 header of the M2.

Next, J8 and I think J6 are in paralel. (I would check but www searches are difficult on a Blackberry) but you should look at the manual to confirm. Make sure that there is no jumper on J6 or J8 with the other one connected to the MB.

Barring that, it would appear to be deffective. Have you tried it with a different MB??

Michael

Comment

What mobo do you have?
                Probably, your mobo is one of a very few that use possitive pull to turn on/off on the power button. Most mobo use ground pull.
                Jeff has a post regarding to this problem. He has a cable make specific to these type of mobo. There is a DIY on his page at mpegbox.com for more detail on how to determine what type it is and info on how to make one yourself or buy from him.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

There is 12v on the acc line with ignition on and 0v with it off. no jumper on j6 or j9.

Made no difference when i did what you said before.
                  This sucks.

Don't have another motherboard to try it on.

My motherboard is : Jetway J7F2 1.5GHz C7 Mainboard

Comment

Originally posted by jackso11 View Post
                    There is 12v on the acc line with ignition on and 0v with it off. no jumper on j6 or j9.

Made no difference when i did what you said before.
                    This sucks.

Don't have another motherboard to try it on.

My motherboard is : Jetway J7F2 1.5GHz C7 Mainboard
                    Do you have a multimeter.

Can you check to see if one of the pins of the switch header has positive on it?

At this point, my three ideas are, Positive button, though I doubt that, or broken M2-ATX. Do you have a Multimeter. Can you check to see if, after giving it accessory power/simulating ignition on, J8 has continuity briefly, as if it is pressing a button/making the connection?

Michael

Michael

Comment

ok, just to clarify, you want me to turn the igniton and see if the jumper that I connect to the motherboard power switch head has 12v briefly. right?

Comment

ok, just to clarify, you want me to turn the igniton and see if the jumper that I connect to the motherboard power switch head has 12v briefly. right?
                        Nope, sorry if I was confusing.

First, check the switch header on your board. That is two pins. with your multimeter, set it to 12 volts DC range. Take one probe and connect it to ground somehow. Take the other probe, and touch it to the first pin, and then the second pin. See if it shows 12 volts?

ALSO, with the cable disconnect between J8 and the MB, put your multimeter into "continuity" mode, and connect one probe to the red wire, and the other probe to the black wire. Then, simulate the ignition wire (you can turn the key if you want, whatever you can to simulate the ignition) and then see if there is continuity all the time, never, or briefly.

Then, report back.

Michael

Comment

check the 2 pins on the motherboard? witht the ignition on and the pc not booting you mean? how will that test the psu if its not connected?

I tested the jumper on the m2 that I connect the red and black wires to that go th the motherboard, but I tested them with 12v range....nothing at all before or after the ignition turned.

Comment

check the 2 pins on the motherboard? witht the ignition on and the pc not booting you mean? how will that test the psu if its not connected?

I tested the jumper on the m2 that I connect the red and black wires to that go th the motherboard, but I tested them with 12v range....nothing at all before or after the ignition turned.
                            K, the first part is to test whether your particular MB is positive trigger instead of negative. Most MB's are negative, and that is what the M2 ios designed for.

The second part is to test to see if the J8 (which is basically a switch to ground) is actually closing (meaning, connecting or being joined) There will not be any voltage on the J8 wires even if it is working 100 percent. I am just trying to figure out if J8 is working correctly.

Michael

Comment

test the pins on the motherboard to see if either pin is pushing 12v (cause it will cause the m2-atx not to work)

ALSO
                              test the m2-atx to see if it shorts the 2 pins on the m2-atx when the igintion is turned on. use contiuity or the ohm setting to find out, not the 12v setting.

Comment

Working...
                              X