Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV has 4 Power States... How do I do this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV has 4 Power States... How do I do this?

Hello all,

This project is for a 1995 RV. A big 35 ft bus. It has 4 possible power states and I'm looking for an elegant solution to this. Outlined below are the states...

State 1: Driving
    Just like a regular car, most systems are offline, no tv, fridge runs off propane, no 110 sockets work. Just like a car in other words (a very big one)

State 2: Shore Power = "On The Grid"
    Two different states are possible here. 30 amp and 10 Amp. 30 Amp is just like a house, 2 ACs work all 110 work, everything works. 10 Amp restricts 1 AC, Fridge and all 110 sockets work

State 3: GenSet = 7000Kw Onan
    All 110 works, both AC's work just like "On the Grid" but running off gas

State 4: Battery bank
    I currently have 2 Optima Deep Cycle (Blue Tops) wired in parallel. 12v works 110 does not (every 110 has a 12v "cigarette lighter" style next to it)

Anyone have an elegant solution to this? Has anyone tried this before?

~E

when you're in 'state 1' do you still have 12v power?
    can you run state 4 while you are in the other states?
    how is state 4 recharged?

at this phase of my understanding i would probably suggest wiring the pc up to the battery bank. but that is all dependant on those batteries getting recharged while on the grid and while driving.
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by BigRigRV View Post
      Hello all,

This project is for a 1995 RV. A big 35 ft bus. It has 4 possible power states and I'm looking for an elegant solution to this. Outlined below are the states...

State 1: Driving
      Just like a regular car, most systems are offline, no tv, fridge runs off propane, no 110 sockets work. Just like a car in other words (a very big one)

State 2: Shore Power = "On The Grid"
      Two different states are possible here. 30 amp and 10 Amp. 30 Amp is just like a house, 2 ACs work all 110 work, everything works. 10 Amp restricts 1 AC, Fridge and all 110 sockets work

State 3: GenSet = 7000Kw Onan
      All 110 works, both AC's work just like "On the Grid" but running off gas

State 4: Battery bank
      I currently have 2 Optima Deep Cycle (Blue Tops) wired in parallel. 12v works 110 does not (every 110 has a 12v "cigarette lighter" style next to it)

Anyone have an elegant solution to this? Has anyone tried this before?

~E

Also, what are you trying to do. When do you want the computer to work?

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

RVPuter

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
        when you're in 'state 1' do you still have 12v power?
        can you run state 4 while you are in the other states?
        how is state 4 recharged?

at this phase of my understanding i would probably suggest wiring the pc up to the battery bank. but that is all dependant on those batteries getting recharged while on the grid and while driving.
        When I'm state 1, I do not have 12v power to the dash equipment, I do however have 12v power to the other 12v recepticles (I.E. the ones by the 110 outlets).

State 4 is recharged 1 of 2 ways
        1. While driving, the has a high output alternator and charge controller
        2. It charges while plugged in to the grid (trickle charge, VERY slow)

~E

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
          Also, what are you trying to do. When do you want the computer to work?

Michael
          I want the computer to work at all times. This is going to be the main "Brain" of the RV. I'd like to rework the dash as well and get rid of the analog speedo, tach, etc....

Comment

E,

I RV and have a CarPC setup. So some experience. But, I use a laptop in the RV (5th wheel trailer) and a dedicated CarPC in the truck.

I am not certain what PC you plan to use (laptop, desktop etc.). What I suggest you do is 12 VDC power your PC and related equipment (monitor, USB hub etc.). Your RV will have a converter in it. The converter converts 110 VAC when on shore power or generator power to 12 VDC to power many of the systems in your RV. Most converters also have battery charging circuits that keep your trailer battery bank topped off.

Several 12 VDC input power supplies to choose from that can power your PC.

I'll be following this thread. Best of luck.

Jim
            Link to: CarPC
            Link to: Avalon Project
            Link to: RAM Cam
            Link to: Ford F550
            Link coming: Prius

Comment

I started today on the dash. Holy cow, talk about Mickey Mouse wiring. The previous owner had about 40 grounds ad-hoc'd into a single ground. I went to work on the grounds with my wire snippers and have most of the "Mickey Mouse" gone in favor of a grounding bar. All of my instrumentation is up and running, but I've clipped the "Non Essential" stuff (Dock Lights, HWH Leveling Jacks, Dash Fans, Power Window, Power Mirrors, Awning, etc...) The RV starts and all the instrumentation works. My plan was to locate the OBD interface and mount a 19" lcd widescreen monitor in the dash where the instrumentation was to do something similar like this http://obddiagnostics.com/ScrnShot/Winscreen.html (Scroll to the bottom). I'm going to keep the analog instrumentation, but hide it behind the monitor. Does anyone have the wiring schematics for a 1995 E450 chassis? Mickey Mouse really screwed this up before I even started....

Comment

Working...
              X