MPBS2 Power Supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPBS2 Power Supply

I'm thinking of designing a new power supply that has more current on the +5 and +12. This would allow the latest Celeron processors be used with it. The slower AMDs could also work. Basically, processors up to 50 watts or so.

I compiled a list of the latest processors and their cost/ power requirements. Excel didn't do a very good job. Netscape and IE load it completely different. Here is the link : http://skylab.org/~chugga/mpegbox/CPU_power.htm

The new power supply will have the following specs if/when I make it:
    +5 @ 10 amps
    +12 @ 4 amps
    +3.3 @ 5 amps
    +5 STDBY @1.5 amps
    -12 @ 100 mA

This totals about 120 watts.
    It will be of the same form factor (Actually 1.2" by 2.5" by 3.8" )and will only cost a little bit more.

Yes, I am still working on the new shutdown controller. My programmer can't program the latest chip that I am using so I have to wait arg..

Jeff
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

Do you have any idea what the via C3 processors pull? I was thinking of getting one of these because they claim to be low power and cool running
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

You make this thing, and I will buy it Simple as that

Comment

Cool, sounds good.
        MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
        www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ces///M3
          You make this thing, and I will buy it Simple as that
          Yeah, you really shouldn't make statements like that....
          2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
          register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

sold!

Comment

jeff.....
              okay, so i know people keep bugging you about this, but when do you forsee the new revision of the shutdown controller being completed...

~mike
              Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
              PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
              2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

whats wrong with the old shutdown controller? I think it's perfect solution with one little fault taht's negligible. i used it for a long time now and it has never failed.
                04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

i dont think there is anything wrong with the old version...

what is the one fault you are talking about??/

i dont care which one i get, but since i dont need it just yet, i figured i would wait for the new one that is programable. unless it is significantly more expensive, in which case i'll use the older version.

~Mike
                  Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                  PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                  2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Originally posted by ShinkunoNamida
                    Do you have any idea what the via C3 processors pull? I was thinking of getting one of these because they claim to be low power and cool running
                    negligable wattage. last time i looked into the matter, i seem to remember something like 5 watts or less. could be mistaken tho.
                    -Nick

Comment

What is the time frame?

Comment

I'm using jeff's old shutdown controller as well.. flawless, reliable performance, except for that one flaw which is easily worked around.

I believe it's the same flaw moahdib is talking about. If you turn off the computer and it shuts down before the second timer has gone off (second timer controls the time between ATX pulse and hard cutoff of power to the PS), and then want to turn the computer back on, you have to do some extra work.

You can't just flip power back on to the shutdown controller in that time period because the controller will just go to standard 'on' mode, without an atx pulse, but the computer will be shutting down or already turned off.

So in my situation, in order to reboot the computer (a very rare occurance..), I have to do to the following

1) Flip power to shutdown controller off (toggle switch)
                        2) Press immediate shutdown button (nice red pushbutton for me)
                        3) Wait till computer turns itself off.
                        4) Flip power to controller on.
                        5) Flip power to controller off.
                        6) Press immediate shutdown button. At this point, the controller sends another ATX pulse to the computer, trying to turn it off, but instead turns it ON (since it's already off).
                        7) Flip power to controller back on (so that the controller doesn't cut power in 2 minutes).

Sounds like a long deal, but the last 4 steps happen in < 2 seconds, and I've only needed to do this maybe 3 times in 10 months.
                        Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
                        Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

Working...
                        X