Cheap 5v power regulator for my usb hub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap 5v power regulator for my usb hub

I have a laptop so tapping into the 5v coming off one of the molex connectors isn't possible .

The next best thing I found was this . With shipping and handling it's going to cost as much as the USB Hub! An adjustible regulator isn't needed, a constant 5v output would be fine.

I need 5v at 2.6 amps.

If anyone can think of a simplier, easier, better idea to get a regulated 5v source to my usb hub please let me know.

Fixing one problem just always seems to create another.
    2001 SS Camaro carputer | My solar dish project/

Hi guys, I'm new here but I have fixed the same problem as you like show below:

All the stuff costed me about 5€.
    Hoop this is usefull for you.

Comment

I must admit I have no idea what anything on that digram is . Could you explain what those parts are and how I take them from the individual parts to a completed working unit?

Comment

I'm must also admit I'm not that a technician, and in Englisch it's even harder for me.

But if you go to your local dealer he will know what he has to give you and the only thing you have is solder them together.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. One more question, will this provide a constant 5v or will it still go up and down with the cars volts?

Comment

dc-dc converters take a voltage range and output a steady voltage. (ie. 9-18vdc input to 5vdc output)
            But all the ones ove seen are $15-25.

Comment

Originally posted by Imhotep View Post
              Hi guys, I'm new here but I have fixed the same problem as you like show below:

All the stuff costed me about 5.
              Hoop this is usefull for you.
              c1/c2/c3 are capacitors..
              r is a resistor
              ic1 is a voltage regulator
              and t1 is a diode

the numbers are just the ratings for each.. the diodes number is its model number, same with the voltage regulator

Comment

Originally posted by FC3S View Post
                c1/c2/c3 are capacitors..
                r is a resistor
                ic1 is a voltage regulator
                and t1 is a diode

the numbers are just the ratings for each.. the diodes number is its model number, same with the voltage regulator
                you mean T1 is a transistor.
                plus, the IC1 "78xx" means the family of 78xx regulators. For a 5v regulator, you want the 7805.

Scotty, the schematic that Imhotep posted is a simple voltage regulator circuit. Please don't take offense at this, but if you don't even recognize what it is, then maybe just buying the $15 regulator is worth your money. I usually try to encourage people to learn electronics, but stuff like the materials plus the stuff like a soldering gun plus the time you will invest on this makes it cost more than the off-the-shelf one. You might be better off just buying it and chalk it up as an investment to protect all the electronics plugged into the usb hub.
                Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
                Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
                Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
                Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
                ...it never ends

Comment

I have all the soldering equipment and I'm fairly decent at it. Modding an xbox was my first time . If it is as simple as finding the parts and soldering them together I can handle that. On the other hand, I havn't been able to find a regulator that meets my 5v 2.6A requirements. That's the only reason I'm even considering this, it's literally the last hardware component I need for my install.

Comment

Well, from the schematic, the 7805 just sets the voltage, the 2n2955 is the power transistor that actually supplies the power. It handles 16A, so it'll be fine.
                    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
                    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
                    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
                    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
                    ...it never ends

Comment

Sorry for the ignorance but I'be been around electronics for some time and never seen a resistor value written like it is in the schematic. So question is what is the actual value of the resistor in Ohm's?

Comment

Still looking for the Resistor value in Ohms... but I did find this concerning the R3R value...

http://www.lalena.com/Audio/Electronics/Color/

Comment

Originally posted by rayrayleonard View Post
                          Sorry for the ignorance but I'be been around electronics for some time and never seen a resistor value written like it is in the schematic. So question is what is the actual value of the resistor in Ohm's?
                          3R3 means 3ohm3 so the resistor has to be 3.3 Ohm.

Hope this is helpfull for you?

I bought all the parts at a local distributor of electronic parts over here in Belgium.

Comment

I figured it was an EU (European Union) thing. Never heard anyone refer to resistors like that hear in the States. So I had to ask. Learnin' something new everyday!!

Comment

Originally posted by psyrex View Post
                              you mean T1 is a transistor.
                              plus, the IC1 "78xx" means the family of 78xx regulators. For a 5v regulator, you want the 7805.
                              yes, that is actually what i meant, oh well, posting at 6am after not sleeping has its disadvantages..

Comment

Working...
                              X