Power this build!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power this build!

So how the hell do I power this with a DC-DC PSU?

MB850F Pentium 4 Mini ITX
    Pentium 4 2.6ghz 533mhz FSB
    1GB PC2700 RAM
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Music
    400GB Western Digital 7200RPM
    USB GPS Receiver
    Front and Rear Cameras (curb view and rear-view)
    DVD+RW/CDRW

I figure a normal PSU for a PC like this would be around 200W minimum with everything on, and I'd rather not use an inverter. Would the Opus 150W power it? I want this system to have all of the above.

Originally posted by Slimline View Post
    So how the hell do I power this with a DC-DC PSU?

MB850F Pentium 4 Mini ITX
    Pentium 4 2.6ghz 533mhz FSB
    1GB PC2700 RAM
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Music
    400GB Western Digital 7200RPM
    USB GPS Receiver
    Front and Rear Cameras (curb view and rear-view)
    DVD+RW/CDRW

I figure a normal PSU for a PC like this would be around 200W minimum with everything on, and I'd rather not use an inverter. Would the Opus 150W power it? I want this system to have all of the above.

HOLY COW, 6 posts today all asking the same question about different setups.

This information is covered in the FAQ section.

Just read the FAQ, run the calculator, and then YOU will have the answer.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

I'll be even more specific....

Read this: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

The FAQ link to Processor Electrical Specs doesn't list the maximum dissipation for the P4 3.0ghz Northwood - I'm going to estimate it at 100W since the average increase over the "thermal design" power is around 20W.

Basically, I need to use a less powerful proc/mobo setup. The Keypower looks like the only solution, and even then it's only 220W.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimline View Post
          The FAQ link to Processor Electrical Specs doesn't list the maximum dissipation for the P4 3.0ghz Northwood - I'm going to estimate it at 100W since the average increase over the "thermal design" power is around 20W.
          I don't know what you're reading, but the one that I'm reading shows that CPU at just under 82W dpending on which version of the CPU you've got. Whatever, 82w is a safe figure to use as a ballpark for calculations.

Basically, I need to use a less powerful proc/mobo setup. The Keypower looks like the only solution, and even then it's only 220W.
          There are PSU options that would probably power that setup such as the DSATX or the Opus 250w, but there are also CPUs that are comparable in processing power, but draw far less electrical power.
          How about the Wiki?

Comment

why not build your own SSC and use an inverter that gets you the wattage you need?
            Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
            Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
            Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
              why not build your own SSC and use an inverter that gets you the wattage you need?
              Why use an inverter when a DC-DC will work?
              http://www.jeepmp3.com/
              CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
              Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

can get more power from an inverter?
                Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
                  can get more power from an inverter?
                  If you plan your setup properly, you shouldn't need the additional power from an inverter. There are quality, speedy CPUs that draw very little power that would be more than perfect for a vehicle installation, yet fit well within the power envelope of the common DC-DC PSUs.
                  How about the Wiki?

Comment

Ok, I re-examined it and I was a little optimistic about the build. I wanted a badass setup so that I would be able to run anything without issue. Turns out, I really don't need it, so I'm going back to basics. Here's my setup, I'm looking at using the PSU in the OPUS case to power this:

VIA Epia M10000; 512mb PC2100; SB X-fi Music; 400gb WD 7200RPM; Panasonic DVD/CDRW; and Lilliput 7"

Does anyone have an X-fi in their setup? I was looking for opinions on the output and quality experienced in a car environment. In my house it's fkn clean, but we all know the differences.

Comment

Working...
                    X