Powering the Lilliput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering the Lilliput

i was wondering if anyone could help me on this one ...

I wonder what the best way is to provide the Lilliput with its 12v.

1) Directly from the car's battery or its power net.
    Advantage : Less cabling to do in the car (computer will be in the trunk,
    Lilliput obviously not.
    Disadvantage : Power fluctuations on the power net?

2) Spliced into the 12v wire of a Molex connector of a M2-ATX.
    Advantage : Power supply should be stabilized by the M2-ATX.
    Need to cut a Molex anyway, need 5v line for the hub.
    Disadvantage : Extra drain on the M2-ATX, isn't running the hub and
    the lilliput on one and the same molex not to much drain?

Your advice ?

Sincerely,
    Jurgen

Mine's hooked straight to the +12v on the car...it handles the ~+14.5v just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JonDubya View Post
      Mine's hooked straight to the +12v on the car...it handles the ~+14.5v just fine.
      when you say "straight" to the 12, you mean a straight wire and nothing else, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreyd_tx View Post
        when you say "straight" to the 12, you mean a straight wire and nothing else, right?
        It's fused, but yes...actually it's connected to the IGN +12v (switched power).

Comment

i did the molex thing, IMO you should do this way(the molex). this way you dont need relays
          screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

Comment

I don't use relays.

Comment

wait.. so you can connect that yellow wire with the fuse (+12v) with a 4g power wire straight to the battery and it'll work?

hmm.. i should try that too. right now, there's power coming thru but my monitor just beeps and doesn't open. seems like a ground/power problem to me.

Comment

Bear in mind that the Lilliput is designed to accept regulated 12v power.
                While it may work just fine running off the unregulated power from your battery, it may also damage/destroy your Lilliput. If it does, I'm certain that warranty would not cover the damage.

Food for thought.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                  While it may work just fine running off the unregulated power from your battery, it may also damage/destroy your Lilliput. If it does, I'm certain that warranty would not cover the damage.

Food for thought.
                  yea!
                  The molex conectors are regulated so you'll be safe there. otherwise use a relay. i do have a relay but its for a different reason...

if you decide to run straight from battery use *****in FUSE!
                  screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

Comment

not sure if mine's a lilliput but the 12v power line is yellow and it does have a fuse holder with a fuse in it. would it be wise to have another fuse coming from the bigger gauge power wire or is that just dumb? (ie.. 2 fuses.. one i put on and one that came with it.)

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post

Food for thought.
                      How would they know? Exactly, they wouldn't.

Comment

just use a voltage regulator chip if u want to be on the safe side(not really neccecary).... doesnt cost much, and doesnt use of the psu's wattage

Comment

Originally posted by JonDubya View Post
                          How would they know? Exactly, they wouldn't.
                          They'd know that it received too much voltage once they examined the one you returned.
                          Granted, you could likely get away with cheating them in that way, but you're still in teh same boat if you received a new one.

Why not save yourself the potential hassle and do it right the first time?
                          How about the Wiki?

Comment

I just tried the molex method, and it powers the Lilliput fine.
                            Here's an issue though. I have an Epia MII12000 and a 90w Opus. HOWEVER, when I turn on the LCD, it reboots the computer. it then operates just fine, and I can power it off okay. When I turn it back on again, it AGAIN will reboot the PC. WTF? Something wrong?

Comment

You're powering the Lilliput fromt he Opus 90w PSU. When you turn on the Lilliput, it's drawing too much power and causing the PC to reboot.
                              How about the Wiki?

Comment

Working...
                              X