Just a small question!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a small question!

Well I'm new to carputers(been planning on putting one in for over a year, finaly going to do it!) and I just have 2 questions on powering the carputer.

1. Will the M1-ATX be enough to power a VIA EPIA board, 3.5" harddrive and USB Wi-Fi card? I want to go with the M1 over the M2 just because of those price. If I don't need the extra juice the M2 provides I don't see a reason to spend the money, unless one of you fine folks can convince me otherwise.

2. I know it would be easy, but would it be wise to get a Y-splitter for my cigarette lighter outlet in my car and plug the monitor(7" lilliput) and my computer(mentioned above) into? Would it provide enough power for both of them?

3. Ok, I lied, theres 3 questions, not 2. I've just been nervous about his, but does having the carputer on all the time that my engine is on drain the batter a significant amount? I don't want to be left unable to start my car in a freezing cold blizzard(winters commin' up!). What about having the carputer on while the engine is not running?(though I'm sure that draines the battery fast)

Thanks for your help. Sorry if these questions have been answered. I did a search but couldn't really find any specific answeres to these questions.

1. Read this

2. No, it's not wise to do so. You're going to overload the circuit and blow the fuse. There's also a chance of overheating the wire that goes to the cig. lighter, thus burning things (like relays, wires, and circuits) behind the dash.

3. Use the keywords drain, power, battery, hours, engine, alternator, etc. in your search. Most CarPCs don't take more power than the stock alternator produces, so you shouldn't worry much about the first part of your question.

Please consult the FAQ section of the forums for future reference.
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

Originally posted by DJiK View Post
      1. Read this

2. No, it's not wise to do so. You're going to overload the circuit and blow the fuse. There's also a chance of overheating the wire that goes to the cig. lighter, thus burning things (like relays, wires, and circuits) behind the dash.

3. Use the keywords drain, power, battery, hours, engine, alternator, etc. in your search. Most CarPCs don't take more power than the stock alternator produces, so you shouldn't worry much about the first part of your question.

Please consult the FAQ section of the forums for future reference.
      Thanks for your help. I actaully found the answer to my first question shortly after I make this thread. The second on eis where I am having a problem. I'm not all that great with electronics, and I don't trust myself wiring my own stuff in my car. I saw a thread where someone just used a 12v rail from thier PSU to power thier lilliput. Should I just invest in the M2-ATX(instead of the M1) and see what I can do with that? Can you point to a thread that describes this method a little more clearly? I couldn't find one.

Thanks again guys, I'm really excited to get this hooked up!

Comment

Though it's up to you and your calculations decide between the M1-ATX and the M2-ATX, to wire either one up to the LCD all you need to do is to run a wire from the 4-pin molex connector of either PSU. You should hook up to the yellow wire because that's the one with the regulated 12 volts.
        For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
        Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
        Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

Originally posted by DJiK View Post
          Though it's up to you and your calculations decide between the M1-ATX and the M2-ATX, to wire either one up to the LCD all you need to do is to run a wire from the 4-pin molex connector of either PSU. You should hook up to the yellow wire because that's the one with the regulated 12 volts.
          Thanks a lot for the help. You pretty much just saved my cigarette lighter(and possibly more) from being fried. I was pretty convinced that I could just get teh Y-splitter thing and it would be fine .

I'll be ordering the monitor in a few days. I'll let you know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
          X