Inverter Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Question

Can something like this or this be used to power up my external hard drive and DVD R/W ?

Are there any cons of using this ?
    04 Accord Coupe Carputer

what voltage(s) do your drives need?
    what psu are you using for your system?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity View Post
      what voltage(s) do your drives need?
      what psu are you using for your system?
      I'm running m2-ATX.......

Not sure about the hard drive (its a 400 GB desktop drive in external enclosure) but I believe DVD R/W require 5V.
      04 Accord Coupe Carputer

Comment

ok, so why do you want to use an ac-dc inverter? just make a power cable extension from the M2 and power the drives that way.

5v to the dvd drive, and 12v to the hdd. I am assuming of course that your hdd enclosure only needs 12v and has internal reduction for the 5v the drive needs.

Comment

ok, so why do you want to use an ac-dc inverter? just make a power cable extension from the M2 and power the drives that way.

5v to the dvd drive, and 12v to the hdd. I am assuming of course that your hdd enclosure only needs 12v and has internal reduction for the 5v the drive needs.
          Well the problem is that I'm using my 12v to power up my LCD screen and I'm not sure if I can connect the external hard drive to that too. Another thing is that.... I do not want to cut the power adaptors of the hard drive or external DVD R/W. THats why I think, going for an inverter is the only option I have.
          04 Accord Coupe Carputer

Comment

Try one of these: http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...Code=PWR%2D022
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i think i'm gonna go the inverter route.
              04 Accord Coupe Carputer

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                and if the hdd is 12, and the dvd drive 5v, he needs 2. 80+ seems an expensive route to go when a 2.00 molex splitter, a little solder and some heatshrink will do the same thing. Since he already has pwer cables for the 2 devices, a simple cut and splice, then plug into the M2. Problem solved for under 5.00 and half hour time.

OP, save your money on inverters or POL converters. Spend that money on other goodies for your rig (in the mp3car store of course )

Comment

and if the hdd is 12, and the dvd drive 5v, he needs 2. 80+ seems an expensive route to go when a 2.00 molex splitter, a little solder and some heatshrink will do the same thing. Since he already has pwer cables for the 2 devices, a simple cut and splice, then plug into the M2. Problem solved for under 5.00 and half hour time.
                  I agree with that logic. For simplicity's sake, tapping a molex would be the way to go. Hoever, the OP may have concern about too much power draw or some other reason that a POL unit would be a viable choice. That was the basis for my suggestion of the POL.

I think the OP's decision to use an inverter is adding complexity, bulk and inefficiency. But it's his project. Go at it, man!
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                  X