Wiring Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Questions

given the spare 14-19 guage wire I have laying around supplies the amount of power needed for my devices, is it possible to just wrap it around the 8 guage wire?

Skip to the Post 25
    "The text that you have entered is too long (12638 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

Dam it!

"The text that you have entered is too long (10418 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

wtf are you talking about?
    95 Mazda Protege LX
    Worklog
    Overall [Project Dead] 0%

2003 Nissan Altima
    [XXXXXXXX--] 80% Planning
    [XX--------] 20% FABRICATION/INSTALLATION

Worklog

Comment

'wrap it around the 8 gauge wire'?

are you saying to literally wrap it around 8 gauge? why?
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

solder it sorry, but if it provides enough power can i wrap it around the 8 guage? i ask because i have a spare 8 guage wire from a old sub and i hav some wire laying around that i wanted to use for my carpc
        "The text that you have entered is too long (12638 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

Dam it!

"The text that you have entered is too long (10418 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

Comment

OMFG. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

Is English your first language? Your language skills suck if this is how you communicate normally.

Michael
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

hahaha, what both of them said.

Personally I have a little brother, and communicate with many others that have trouble communicating normally. Hopefully this will aid me in deciphering your message.

That said. LOL!

If you have a 8 gauge wire from your battery to a distrobution block, and then to an amp, and are intending on adding power from the distrobution block to your car pc, what you are saying would almost make sense.

Are you talking about "beefing" up the current the 8 gauge wire can carry, by adding the 16 gauge (or whatever gauge you said) wire to the 8 gauge, from the battery to the distrobution block?

Or if you are just plain confused, you can run multiple power wires from your battery to your trunk, they don't need to touch, or be wrapped around each other. They can be run parallel and next to each and/or down opposite sides of the car.

good luck, no offense, it sounds like you need it
            REBUILDING!!

Comment

I think I'm confused and entertained by what ViViper1 is talking about, but then again I have been drinking again and just about everything is funny and entertaining right now. I think what he means is to simply "add" some wire to another wire by wrapping them around eachother. I honestly wouldn't reccommend this because there is no assurance that the smaller gauge wire alone would be able to handle amperage past what it is rated at regardless of what gauge wire is being ran parallel. In short, its just not worth risking a possible meltdown of the plastic and cause a fire. Just to be on the safe side, go out and buy the rated wire capable of handling the load you intend to apply.
              Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

IS JACK BAUER GONNA HAVE TO SMACK A *****?

Comment

I think you're talking about tapping the power source from your existing 8 guage power wire that's going into your ICE now?

Comment

Originally posted by Eternalodyssey View Post
                  I think I'm confused and entertained by what ViViper1 is talking about, but then again I have been drinking again and just about everything is funny and entertaining right now. I think what he means is to simply "add" some wire to another wire by wrapping them around eachother. I honestly wouldn't reccommend this because there is no assurance that the smaller gauge wire alone would be able to handle amperage past what it is rated at regardless of what gauge wire is being ran parallel. In short, its just not worth risking a possible meltdown of the plastic and cause a fire. Just to be on the safe side, go out and buy the rated wire capable of handling the load you intend to apply.
                  Thanks thats what I was wondering about. Thanks for all the criticism fellas, shows how much of an ******* you are instead of the help btw. This is a place for help.... But I understand that once I hit the post button I'm subject to criticism from people that are just assholes

Dam it!

Comment

alright guys, calm down (you too wired). There's no need to fly off the wall immediately. If you don't know this stuff you won't know how to describe it.

From the previous posts, it sounds like the OP is trying to beef up the size of the wire by just wrapping other wire around it. This isn't advisable. While I understand that the OP might be trying to save some money, there are just some areas where you shouldn't cut corners, power wires are one of those areas. Just buy the proper gauge power & GROUND wire and be done with it.
                    Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Heh, whats the worst that could happen?

I mean its not like it would be that big of a deal if the wire was suddenly forced to carry more current than it can handle. It would just melt the shielding, fuse to the car, (clearly there is no inline fuse if hes worrying about the wire price to this extreme), cause the battery to explode, which causes the power steering and braking to fail, while you are trying to come to a stop at a large intersection, at which point you can't, and slide into the intersection and get t-boned by an oil tanker, and then by a trash truck

Like she said, buy thicker wire.
                      REBUILDING!!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                        alright guys, calm down (you too wired). There's no need to fly off the wall immediately. If you don't know this stuff you won't know how to describe it.

From the previous posts, it sounds like the OP is trying to beef up the size of the wire by just wrapping other wire around it. This isn't advisable. While I understand that the OP might be trying to save some money, there are just some areas where you shouldn't cut corners, power wires are one of those areas. Just buy the proper gauge power & GROUND wire and be done with it.

I am calm, very calm.

Wehter the OP is a noob or not, plain coherent English can, and should, be used, to describe what is going on. Mind you, it wasn't his technical description that was problematic. It was his sentance structure.

Let's see, in "un technical" speak. I have an 8 gauge wire, and I need something bigger. Can I just run another, smaller wire, that I happen to have lying around, from the battery to the same place the bigger wire goes? Do I need to wrap the wires together for some reason.

Wow, that really was technical I guess you are right, I really should be nicer about it cause that really is too tough for someone to explain with out a real technical background. I like how you seem to think you now what he is talking about. It would be a shame for someone to try and interperate what the OP means, give an answer, and send the OP down the wrong path to destruction.

Assuming they are right, it is better to use the proper wire, but that will work.

I also think that calling people names is a violation of the forum rules, and deseres a vacation, but of course, that is a mod decision.

Michael
                        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by ViViper1 View Post
                          Thanks thats what I was wondering about. Thanks for all the criticism fellas, shows how much of an ******* you are instead of the help btw. This is a place for help.... But I understand that once I hit the post button I'm subject to criticism from people that are just assholes
                          ******* x 2. Tisk tisk, naughty naughty.

Michael

Comment

Yea I'm sorry I didn't get technical. I don't know much about it and I figured this would be the best place to ask questions regardless of my skill level in order to get answers. I understand by hitting the submit buttom I'm susceptible to some criticism. But like many of the othe people here without knowledge come here for info from other people who are much more knowledgeable in the subject.

If you don't have anything to say that will help me or anyone else with the same question, then don't say it at all. My questions was pretty straightforward for someone if they had read it and thought about it.

I was just wondering if I had some spare 14-19 guage wiring laying around and if they provided the power I needed for my devices, is it possible to wrap it around the 8 guage wire I have.

Sorry I didn't include any more details about my setup, if someone would've asked I would've. Its Battery - 4g - fuse- 4g - distribution block, 1 8g wire to a sub, and the other one for my car pc. I was asking if i can wrap it around (cut the plastic off the tips and wrap it around the 8g or solder it together, sorry not good with the technical terms when it comes to wiring hence the reason why I said what I said.)

I was a little tired when I made the post, but even after looking at it. Its self explanitory if you give it some thought instead of jumping on me. Ask me questions next time and I'll gladly supply you with more details.

But I got my answer from Eternalodyssey. Someone else might've also, but his was the only one I understood. You know, due to lack of technical know-how.

I honestly wouldn't reccommend this because there is no assurance that the smaller gauge wire alone would be able to handle amperage past what it is rated at regardless of what gauge wire is being ran parallel. In short, its just not worth risking a possible meltdown of the plastic and cause a fire. Just to be on the safe side, go out and buy the rated wire capable of handling the load you intend to apply.
                            So I'm safe to say if I don't go over the amount of amperage I'm ok, but it would be easier/safer to just run a seperate wire for it?

Like telling me my language sucks instead and criticizing my vocabulary is helping me or anyone else in this matter. Next time ask me questions regarding my post and I'll be happy to answer them. If you don't have anything to say that will help me or anyone else with the same question, then don't say it at all. I came here for help not criticism.\

-Tony

BTW, I'm sorry if I offended anyone I was slightly mad for the fact I came here to get help, not get my *** torn apart by my english or lack of technical know-how.

Dam it!

Comment

Tony - I would officially like to welcome you to this forum and would encourage you to stick around for a while and develop some of those technical skills.

From behind a keyboard it's easy to assume that everyone on the other side is the same. The same age, the same education, the same culture, etc.

For all we know, English might not be your first language, which is why it might be difficult to phrase something technical in a coherent sense.

With just a bit of time on here you will learn who the people are that are willing to help at all costs and you will find the people that are quick to judge, quick to react, and quick to call foul.

This place is full of great info, I sincerely hope that you decide to stick around and check it out!
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X