Targus Universal DC-DC supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targus Universal DC-DC supply

Well I hve been looking for a 12v 4.5a supply for some time..

Targus has a universal power adapter that +CAN+ do 12v 5a ... if only they had a tip that'll put that out...

The catch is the tips have a chip that tells the supply how much power to put to the lines.. very tricky.. so it's only really universal if you have a tip that'll work with your equipment.

The bloke at the shop told me it would work.. I guess I should know better than to believe retail shop guys..

I fired an email off to targus to find out if they have such a tip, or if I can get one made for me since I can't return this thing and it cost me $70

At least they have a tip that will power my laptop x.x
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

buy **** from frys you can return it any time

Comment

Unfortunately there aren't any frys near me at all
      aka Kumaneko
      mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

buy the same thing from another store that stocks it. return the open one there and return the unopened one to the original store

Comment

Ok, I just thought of something... one of the tips for this thing outputs 19v 6a (or something around there the current doesn't really matter i think)

I'm really stupid with circuit type stuff so I need help with this..

Can't I regulate 19v down to 12v 5a(or more?) with a simple regulator? This would be the optimal solution for me I think (since I already have this stupid targus thing at least)

Thanks!
          aka Kumaneko

Comment

19-12 = 7

7 x 5 A = 35 watts of heat produced.

That's more than my processor!
            www.arbybean.com

Comment

I've been looking at that Targus PSU too.

Did you have any joy looking for the right tip?

One thing I considered was getting the PSU, with a decent ampage 12v tip, and making a distribution board.

Then plug the board into the PSU, and the screen/PC/etc into the board?

What would that take to do?

As your using a Cubid case, it would help too, because you can then use the correct tip to fit the PSU, and also the correct tip for the Cunid case, and also add the needed tip for the any other bits you need?

As I understand the targus stuff, if you change the tip, you change the output.

Silly question, but could you split the output into multiple lines, then use different tips for what you need, so a 5v 500mA line for an external USB hub, and 12v 5A for the Cubid case, and 12v Whatever Amp for the screen, or would that be asking for trouble?
              4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Did you have any joy looking for the right tip?
                I emailed back and forth with them, they don't have one at present and don't forsee there being one that can be used for this psu.. I think the highest 12v was 3.6a although I don't have the stuff in front of me right now

One thing I considered was getting the PSU, with a decent ampage 12v tip, and making a distribution board.

Then plug the board into the PSU, and the screen/PC/etc into the board?

What would that take to do?
                Sounds like a good idea, unfortunately the only tip that gives decent power is the 19v[/quote]

Silly question, but could you split the output into multiple lines, then use different tips for what you need, so a 5v 500mA line for an external USB hub, and 12v 5A for the Cubid case, and 12v Whatever Amp for the screen, or would that be asking for trouble?
                I'm pretty sure you can't.. and the tips aren't going to be extremely useful anyway.

I'm thinking on making a linear supply, although I don't really know how.. I'm trying to learn though.. for now I'm stuck using my inverter untill I can figure something out.
                aka Kumaneko

Comment

Working...
                X