Inverter problems - Help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter problems - Help needed

Hey people i am at the final stages of putting all my mp3 pc into my car made a rack to hold it all togeter put all the wires in etc etc but i have one problem which is gonna stop me from putting the whole setup in my car.

I have a jaycar (aussie brand) inverter 140 watt model. I think magnetik has the same one. The problem is that the inverter works in 2 other cars that i have but when i try and put it in my vp calais it just switches into like a protection mode it just beeps and dont stop. In the book it say that when it beeps like the way it is it means output short. I dont know much about electronicas but i know my basics and i dont know how it can be a output short because there is nothing connected up to the 240 v ac output part. I have already changed my inverter over once cause the last one done the same and i thought it had a fault. The problem only happens on my vp calais when the inverter used to be pluged into the cigaret lighter then i cut the plug and tried it in the boot of my car with some wires i made up they are fused at the front and back and it still does the same but when i put the inverter straight of the battery it works perfect.

Does anybody know whats wrong or how i can fix it cause if i cant fix it, it will be the end of my mp3 car pc.

Thanks
    http://austmp3car.tk

Re: Inverter problems - Help needed

missed this post earlier today, our ISP at work had some router trubbles and mp3car.com was flakey - thats probably why...

I would be checking the gauge of the wires running to the back of your car...... but I am guessing you have at least matched the wiring used on the 12V side of the inverter itself?

also try putting a multimeter on the wires at the back of the car, see if u get a good 12Volts.... u have already rulled out the battery being crappy, since it works straight off the terminals.... and are u groudning the inverter to the car chassis? or are u running a negative back to the battery? if your trying the later, try the former (make sense?! - I confused myself!)

finally, what are the fuses like u are using.... I have had sooooo many trubbles with cheapo fuse holders, the **** one that came with my fog lights ended up getting sooo hot that the plastic melted into a pile of gooooo.... maybe they are loosing too much of the power in the form of heat, causing the inverter to go crazy?

some ideas anyway.....
    Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Thanks for the help man. I have 4 gauge wire for the positive and some smaller wire which is rated up to 30a for the negative. The car has a good fuse holder at the front and a gold distro block at the back plus gold fuses used. The negative i think maybe the problem because of the ground cause of were it grounds on the underneath of my parcel shelf. I cleaned of the paint before i bolted the negative starp on. Tomorow i am gonna try a difrent negative strap and see whats happens. Oh yeah i also get around 12.3 v i think at the back of the car measured off the 2 wires.
      Do you think it could be a fault in the inverter or something to do with say the factory wiring system on my car.

Comment

Inverters like to be grounded directly to the battery.
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Cake
          Inverters like to be grounded directly to the battery.
          why is that Aaron? not to have a go at ya (of course not!) but in my experence grounding to the chassis has worked perfect for me.... just wondering what the electrical reasoning behind that would be...

Comment

I have been a bit busy so il try a difrent ground strap either today or tomorow and see if that fixes the problem

Comment

I would guess that its some sort of ground/power fault somewhere along the lines. My inverters never worked all that well off my cigarette lighter, but once i ran dedicated lines to it, its working wonderfully.
              -Nick

Comment

Could it be possible that my postive wire running to the back of my car is shorting on the body somewere. I dont think it is cause it isnt blowing any fuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden__V8
                  Could it be possible that my postive wire running to the back of my car is shorting on the body somewere. I dont think it is cause it isnt blowing any fuses.
                  you would KNOW if that happened..... the positive wire would get VERY hot to the point the insulation would melt........

get a spare car battery and place a spanner across the terminals..... you end up welding the spanner to the battery!!!

so yeah, I dont THINK that would be the problem!!!!

Comment

Ahahahahahahah im not that stupid man.
                    Some good news tho i fixed the problem i tried the inverter of a diffrent earth strap and it worked perfect. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Depends on the inverter really...We all know the electrical system in most cars sucks, which usually means marginal grounds to the body...Normally, the ground connection to the body from the battery loosens up or corrodes. And let's face it, most people don't choose the best body ground for their inverter (I've heard people mention seatbelt bolts, etc.)...So, to eliminate most problems, a direct ground to the battery is recommended (by me at least).

I'm not saying that in all situations inverters prefer a battery ground, I'm just saying that a direct battery ground goes a long way towards eliminating possible problems.
                      Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                      Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                      "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

No worries thanks for the info guys. I am gonna make up another ground for now so it should be working all sweet.

Comment

Working...
                        X