Transformer windings..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformer windings..

I would like to wind a custon transformer.. It will operate at about 50-60Hz, and I will be using the coil former and core from an old mains transformer. Now, my question is, how many windings to I need. I want to switch the car voltage, (so it is AC) them step it up by about 20%. so, teh transformer will be 1-1.2..... the question is how many windinds do I need on teh primary/secondary... I know HOW to work it out, but want to know how many windings or turns I need, so it will work, and be safe/efficent... would say 50turns on the primary be alright?? AARON!!! HELP ME!!!!!
    2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
    register another account and you're gone for good.

At 50-60 Hz, the transformer will be unnecessarily large...Best bet is to use a higher frequency....I don't know these things off hand as I am rather out of practice with electronics. Have you tried a electronics text book?
    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

there are several electronics "how-to" books that i know are sold at radio shack (probably not available in AUS), on amazon.com, online book stores, local book stores (im sure you have those).

please, for the love of god, go to the library, check out an electronics how-to book and do some reading. i know everyone wants someone else to do the "dirty-work" for them, but with all these hair-brained ideas you come up with i would think you could motivate yourself to pick up a book and do some research. most, if not all, how-to books have explanations and, **GASP**, EQUATIONS!!!!

~Mike

and why do you want AC in the car??? is this to run your 1000 watt amplifiers that you were going to make??? or for some other "idea" you have?
      Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
      PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
      2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Or try this link.

http://members.tripod.com/~schematic...m/xformer1.htm

Best of luck

Walter Farmer
        Walts DC DC ATX Power Supply

Comment

sounds like he wants to up the 12 dc to15v so he can use simple linear regulators......... but still a higher frequency will make the transformer smaller .. current draw will also affect the number of windings and gauge of wire used.....
          Volvo V40 Phase 2 2002. T4 turbo upgrade.... currently no mp3 or carputer..... researching options

Comment

Originally posted by spud42
            sounds like he wants to up the 12 dc to15v so he can use simple linear regulators......... but still a higher frequency will make the transformer smaller .. current draw will also affect the number of windings and gauge of wire used.....
            Yeah, true... okay, we will go with the switchmode idea... does someone have a small, simple circuit, similar to the low frequency inverter schematic on aaroncakes website?? could I modify this circuit to opperate at a higher frequency... I am sick off all these switchmode supplies that need special ICs and regulators... I just want a powersupply that will run my P200 and a few extras!!! :P
            2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
            register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

The reason switchmode power supplies are used is because they work. I'm thinking that for all the money you spent experimenting, you probably could have bought an Arise supply by now.
              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

The inverter circuit on Aarons site has some problems. I had trouble with the caps blowing. I did not use the caps called out in the parts list as they are as expensive and hard to find as switch mode power supply parts. After making some measurements, it became apparent why. When the when the primary field collapses, the back EMF puts the caps in the circuit in reverse polarity. I was able to put 22 ohm 5 watt current limiting resistors in the circuit to limit the current flowing backward through the caps and prevent them from exploding. I rewound a 4 amp 24 volt CT transformer with 75 + 75 turns on the primary, and 100 turns on the secondary, and was able to get 14 volts AC out of the secondary, but I could not get enough energy even to spin up a hard drive. I'm thinking you need at least one amp to get one going. I probably made some bad assumptions when I calculated my windings and wire guages. That's when I came up with the idea of recycling the back EMF from the primary to run the hard drive and use the secondary for the negative voltages. This setup works fine, but generates tons of heat, and has the noise problems that all inverters seem to suffer from. I'm getting a handle on that by grounding everything together. Nothing you can do about the heat but live with it. The latest schematic is on my web site.

Hope that helps
                Walter Farmer

Comment

If you're not using the exact correct diodes as specified on the page, you will blow caps like crazy.

Comment

My initial intent was to build a circuit from mostly throwaway parts. I built it with what I had laying around, and blew up a few parts before I found a circuit that works. Before anyone else try's to build it they may want to consider that the efficiency of this circuit is somewhere around 35 to 40 percent. A standard inverter would be better and more efficient. The only thing that makes this circuit appealing is that the parts are fairly common, and if you save a lot of junk like I do, you may have everything you need. I have been running the circuit for a month or so now and have had no spin downs, something I was never able to get with strait linear regulators.

Walter Farmer

Comment

Working...
                    X