PC Power & Cooling 12v Power Supplies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Power & Cooling 12v Power Supplies

I'm thinking about buying one of these to power an 800Mhz VIA Eden mobo,some sort of radio card (either PCI or USB) and a 2.5" laptop hd:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...line_12Vps.htm

I might eventually add a slim DVD, but at this stage it's going to be a super thin build machine.

Does anyone already have one of these? I'm wondering whether I need be concerned about efficiency and noise.

I notice that they have a fan in them - are they noisy? I'm planning on installing under the drivers seat.

Although I'm using pretty low voltage hardware, have owners noticed these things turning into efficient little heaters? Do they generate too much heat to be in the same enclosure as the mobo/hd etc?

C!
    http://carpc.riposte.net
    I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

even though this is slim.. it's still a pretty large unit.

It looks like a great option though if it works.

I think I'm going to need a beefier powersupply.. this 60w just isn't cutting it.
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

I have this supply, and it works great! I'm using a Shuttle FV24 w/ a 1Ghz celeron, pci audio, cdrom, tons of fans (1U case) and it's no problem. Noise is comparable with the AC supply the case came with, but less than a 'regular' 250W ATX supply.

Comment

this thing is 250w?
        aka Kumaneko
        "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
        Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
        mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
        Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

No, it's either 100 or 150 -- I'll check when I get home. I was just comparing the noise generated to that of a 250. Sorry for the confusion. Still, not bad for $110 (although they were still $129 when I got mine -- )

Comment

Well I will throw in my two cents...

I have been through 3 of the PC Power PSU and each one has lasted about 1 day. Two of them ceased to work while the system was off, no power to anything, just sitting in the parking lot getting hot from the Houston TX sun. The other died while I was driving along, and when it went out nothing appeared to happen, everything else in the system is fine.

I personally think any heat above 115 F will kill these power supplies. That has been the only constant in the death of the three. I have checked for shorts, none apparent. They are fine until they get hot (from the heat in the car)...

I hope others have better luck then me, but I am just going to try and get my $149 dollars back...... I got mine when they were really high (3 months ago)...... It kinda ****es me off that they are $109 now.

Comment

Yeah... I ordered mine last Tuesday (6/11) and they were still $129. I have only had mine in the car for a short test last weekend. Hopefully it will last, as I haven't found any similar 1U supplies!

Comment

Originally posted by dug1967

I personally think any heat above 115 F will kill these power supplies. That has been the only constant in the death of the three. I have checked for shorts, none apparent. They are fine until they get hot (from the heat in the car)...
                Read your thread about this last night...

There are actually two constants - the other one is your car.

C!
                http://carpc.riposte.net
                I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Yeah kinda, but 3 fried with the car on and 1 with the car off. So the car is a constant, but not a consistent constant.....

I should have been a lawyer, I can speak jiberish with the best of them....

But for real do you have any idea what in the car could do this?

I mean logic just tells me it must be something other than the heat..... But I can't figure out what. I need to try and get PC Power to tell me what happened with the one they repaired.

Comment

I dunno if it is the heat or not.... mine's been working without a problem in my trunk for about two weeks now. We've had some pretty warm days over the past mcouple of weeks... highs in the low 90's here in Charleston, SC, and the PC Power and Cooling unit I have has been a real trooper... I'm impressed. No complaints here. Hope you can get the issue resolved!
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    The party of the first part will party with the party of the second part until the parties party to the part where the parties part.

Comment

maybe you should add a large 1F capacitor on the way from the battery to the Power Supply.
                      I have it set up like this, and had no problems for about a week
                      I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
                      NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
                      http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

sxpert...

Is that advice about the 1F cap. directed to me???? If so thanks, I appreciate it, just curious as to what that might gain me?

And 1.... (one)..... (3-2)..... (10/2 + -4)...... (the qube root of 1) farad?

That doesn't sound like an easy thing to find, any ideas where to get one.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

large caps

You can get large Caps at almost any car audio supply store, or online at places like:

www.sounddomain.com
                          or
                          www.partsexpress.com

They aren't cheap though ($75-$120)

I have a 1F cap for my Subwoofer Amp, and I split off of it to power my computer too. It makes a nice buffer for starting the engine or any time that the power supply might not get enough power.

Good Luck,
                          -Miles
                          Near Completion: Intel P166 MMX, 32MB ram, 13GB Hard Drive, Keypad, 4x40 LCD. Sproggy MK2.6 ATX PSU. Win98SE with Winamp and Mark Zehnder Plugin. (Web-site: very soon)

Comment

dug1967: in addition to what milesg said, the 1F capacitor also absorbs the spikes that are generated by the alternator to get to your power supply. The power supply is rated from 9 to 16 volts, and there can be spikes as much as 40-50 volts, which fries the power supply.
                            The capacitor will smoothe them by absorbing the energy (it will also act like a battery, so that if the car stalls, you still have music for a while. It will also act as a sort of "UPS" and allow time for the computer to shut down properly without draining the battery...
                            I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
                            NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
                            http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

sxpert.....so do u connect the 10amp fuse before or after the capacitor?

Paladin
                              Sproggy Mk2.8 & shutdown controller
                              Via C3 800 mini-Itx 256mb Ram, 15G notebook HDD

Life is like a Proton. You never know what you will get, but sooner or later, something will go wrong coz its a Proton!

Comment

Working...
                              X