Did I hook something up wrong? M2-ATX problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I hook something up wrong? M2-ATX problem

Well I can't seem to get any power whatsoever from my M2-ATX. I looked around a few of the M2 problem threads but nothing really stuck out to me.

I've got my mobo, M2, RAM, and HDD in the computer right now. I've got the leads for ground, power, and ignition directly wired to the battery, ground to negative, power and ignition to positive. The M2 has the power button from the case attached to the J9 jumper, and the M2 is wired to the power button jumpers on the mobo (pins 6 and 8 on my M10000) from the J8 jumper. I've tried switching the polarity of the J8 jumper since it's not labeled which pin is + and which is - on the M2 or in the manual. The 'function' jumper on the M2 is set to B which is 5 sec/2 hours as the M2 manual suggests.

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't I be getting SOMETHING atleast when I touch the power wires to the battery? As it is right now I'm not even getting spinning fans.

What happens when you short the mobo manually?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

how do I do that? You described it in another thread but it didn't make much sense to me

Comment

Ok well I tried this:

I took the jumper off of the power switch pins on the motherboard. The M2 is still plugged in to the motherboard and the hard drive power spots. I hooked power to the M2 from the battery, and then used a small screw driver to touch the two power switch pins on the mobo. Did I do that right? Because when I tried that, I again got nothing. No spinning fans, no beeps, nothing. The jumpers on the M2 are set to "dumb PSU" mode.

EDIT: I'm no pro with a multimeter, but I did test and the M2 is getting power through the ground, power, and ignition leads. It is NOT, however, making any sort of output through the ATX connector. Does this mean I've got a toasted power supply?

Comment

Yes you shorted it right assuming the jumpers you shorted were the on/off pins. If there is no power through the ATX connector, then something is wrong. Check pin 14. Greenish. That always has power. It is what is actually used to turn on the computer.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

No dice on pin 14. Went ahead and tried all 20 pins and all the molex connectors to the HDD and such. Completely dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead61 View Post
              No dice on pin 14. Went ahead and tried all 20 pins and all the molex connectors to the HDD and such. Completely dead.
              Does the MB work with a known good ATX supply?

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

The MB has worked fine for me using a standard home ATX power supply. I've been working on setting up my front end, GPS, music, and phone control in the house and I went to install the carputer in the truck once I'd finished and the M2 just decided it didn't want to work for me.

Comment

Damn triple post, lol. Sorry guys.

Comment

The MB has worked fine for me using a standard home ATX power supply. I've been working on setting up my front end, GPS, music, and phone control in the house and I went to install the carputer in the truck once I'd finished and the M2 just decided it didn't want to work for me.

Comment

Like Toaster said,

If the unit is actually connected the way you said it is, with the constant power and ingition power to the battery positive, and the ground to the negative, and in Dumb PSU mod, and you have no power on the ATX wires, then something is wrong.

Confirm you have installed the wires correctly. Confirm your jumper settings. Check your board for anything that looks borken or burnt up.

There is a known issue with the M2 and the Epia boards, you can look into that as well, but again, no power on the ATX wires means something is wrong. Have you check the on board fuse to see if it is good. You said you confirmed power to the M2 is good, how did you do that/where did you test?

Michael
                      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

The fuse on the M2 is not burnt or broken. Nothing I can see on the board looks damaged either. I didn't get any sparks, smoke, or burning smells when I hooked up the M2.

I've checked, double checked, triple checked my wires, my jumpers, and anything I could fathom related to how I hooked up the M2. Everything seems to be alright there too.

I used a multimeter to check that the M2 was getting power from the battery. It's getting 12.4 volts on both the power lead and the ignition lead.

I ordered an OPUS 120w today, it should be here on Monday. We'll see how the OPUS handles. I may send the M2 over to my electrical engineer buddy and see what he can figure out.

Comment

The fuse on the M2 is not burnt or broken. Nothing I can see on the board looks damaged either. I didn't get any sparks, smoke, or burning smells when I hooked up the M2.

I've checked, double checked, triple checked my wires, my jumpers, and anything I could fathom related to how I hooked up the M2. Everything seems to be alright there too.

I used a multimeter to check that the M2 was getting power from the battery. It's getting 12.4 volts on both the power lead and the ignition lead.

I ordered an OPUS 120w today, it should be here on Monday. We'll see how the OPUS handles. I may send the M2 over to my electrical engineer buddy and see what he can figure out.
                          WHERE did you check for voltage going to the M2?

Also, how/where did you test for voltage on the ATX connector?

Michael
                          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

I pulled the fasteners off that connect to the M2 (the spade connectors) and tested the voltage on each of those leads. Then I reconnected them and tested the power coming out of the ATX connector. I put the red probe from my multimeter into the connector and then put the black probe into a pin that was a known ground on the connector. Did I do that wrong?

Comment

Did you check the ignition and power leads against the same ground to which the M2 is wired, or another, seperate ground?

Is the M2 ground a known good ground (other installed equipment operating succesfully with the same ground, etc...).

Sorry if this seems simple, but I've had grounds test good with multimeter that fail to operate my equipment in the past....and you didn't specifically mention checking the ground.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Working...
                              X