Convert your sproggy 2.6/2.7 to full ATX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert your sproggy 2.6/2.7 to full ATX

Hiya friends i have seen a lot of questions for this topic so here it is the easy way to convert you sproggy to full ATX ..
    (using the soft start feature of the MOBO) as it uses 78L05 for the standby volt it wont drain you battery.

If you have any problem understanding the design feel free to ask me and if you want me to make this for you its for 13$ USD with shipping ..

Cheers

Mastero

Thanks a bunch Mastero.....

You are the man. I am going to sit with this for a while a see if I can figure everything out first before I start asking the stupid question.

But allow me just one, the relay shown in the atx circuit is not the one on the Sproggy right?

Again thanks a bunch.

Comment

Like I said it was a stupid question. Of course it is not the same one (5VDC vs. 12VDC)...

Anyway would you mind looking over the attached schematic and letting me know if it is correct. I assume where you have Sproggy +12 marked on your ATX schematic would hook up to the Remote line of the Sproggy.

Let us know.

And again thanks.....

Comment

I don't want to come across as a jerk... But I am amazed at how few reads this post has got....

This is a major idea. Mastero is really doing us all a favor, with this and ALL he does....

The idea and schematic he posted is the completing factor for the Sproggy PSU.

We all need to say a BIG thanks to Mastero.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by THEMP3KID

the subject of this post clearly mentioned that its for converting your sproggy 2.6/2.7 to full ATX so the 3.3 v rail is already existing.... as per the price is concern i am in no mood of building this cuircut but if some one really really wants it then thats why the price is 13$USD

DUG1967

The schematic is right ... with that you can make your existing sproggy to full ATX .. like the soft start feature..

cheers

Mastero

Comment

Thanks for checking out the schematic Mastero...

Looking through Digi-Key

5 VDC Relay - $4.83
            78L05 - $0.56
            1N4007 - $0.26

Handling Fee - $5.00
            Shipping - $4.00 (Guess)

Total $14.65

Now add in making a PCB and the time to drill and solder....

Sounds pretty damn cheap to me......

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by dug1967
              I don't want to come across as a jerk... But I am amazed at how few reads this post has got....

This is a major idea. Mastero is really doing us all a favor, with this and ALL he does....

The idea and schematic he posted is the completing factor for the Sproggy PSU.

We all need to say a BIG thanks to Mastero.
              Dug - it's probably cause we don't understand! I mean, I recently bought an AT PS for an ATX board (well duh!).

I really need someone to hand me a box and I'll hand them some cash and then they say "Here you go - this does all you need".

I didn't know that the Sproggy wasn't a complete ATX supply!

Thanks to the thinkers that know what they are doing - I don't know the difference between a resistor and a transistor!
              http://carpc.riposte.net
              I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Cheers Mastero, I`m gonna do this upgrade when i get time. I`m gonna do it on a mk 2.5 sproggy, but it should work, as it`s ATX. The only difference between a 2.5 and 2.6 it the power good circuit anyway.
                Would it be possible to use a 12v relay for this circuit?, as I have a few lying around. I was thinking that I could put the 78L05 after the relay, but i`m not sure that it would work. If not i`ll go out and get a relay.
                My Setup

Comment

Something I recommend be added to this circuit. You should have a filter cap on both sides (in and out) of the 78L05. You should also have a diode across the relay coil to shunt the de-energize spike from the coil to prevent is from destroying circuitry on the ATX board. Could also add a buffer between the atx power on signal and thre relay by using another invertor left from the power good circuit, then use a small transistor to drive the relay coil off of that and you can use a 12v or 5v relay, and only have one relay instead of two like in the second schematic in this thread.

Comment

Interesting concept Eugenen,

How about thowing up a schematic for us, electronics impaired folks.

Comment

If you "waste your money" on an inverter, there are problems that come with it: Buzzing sound, reduced efficiency, and increased size, to name a few. Building you own sproggy is fine if you have a small setup, but what about those people with massive setups? Webcam, more than one HD, DVD drive, TFT.... A sproggy wouldn`t run that? What should this person do then? Also, and inverter is a good test tool. It allows someone to try everything out in the car, see if there are any problems, and see what parts of thier setup they use the most. I admit though, for a more permanent setup, DC-DC is much better (i`m using two sproggies in parallel), but inverters still have thier uses. I could go on, but there is nothing wrong with spending loads on a setup. Say someone who earns $20+ per hour, it makes more sense to buy a pre made vga tft, instead of buying a controller, screen and inverter seperately, and then trying to get it all connected and working. Then a housing needs to be made, etc. Homebrew is still cheaper, and being a full time student, I have very little money, so I build most of the stuff in my myself. But there is nothing wrong in buying premade, especially if they have to learn to solder, and make PCB's, just to get a PSU going.
                      My Setup

Comment

Does anybody have any ideas about implementing Eugenen's idea "You should have a filter cap on both sides (in and out) of the 78L05. You should also have a diode across the relay coil to shunt the de-energize spike from the coil to prevent is from destroying circuitry on the ATX board"

It sounds pretty appropiate to me, safety is always best. I will try to pick some brains here at work today and see if I can draw up a schematic to include this, but I will just be guessing.

Comment

LOL @ ^.... Anyway, dug 1967 does have a good point, let`s get this one back on topic, as i`d also like to see a schematic of eugenen's idea.
                          My Setup

Comment

Okay, I got my best guess together for implementing Eugenen ideas into the 2nd schematic on this post.

Take a look at the file and let me know what you think.

I am totally guessing on the 220 uF caps and the type and direction on the diode (1N4007).

Did I guess right?

Comment

Crap, it didn't include the attachment.

Try again.

Comment

Working...
                              X