M2-ATX not shutting down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX not shutting down

Someone please help me with this, my car is in pieces right now. My M2-ATX will not power down my pc, it powers it up fine but no matter what arrangement of jumpers I use it does not shut it down. I am not even getting the 45 second hardoff like others have gotten. If I manually use a switch for my motherboard it shuts down as it should. Also if I have the jumpers in the recommended spots (just having the B one off) the psu does not power up the computer. Is this defective? Anything I can do besides hooking up an external switch (which would defeat the whole reason I have this)?
    my setup - finally
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50494

Hmmmmm...that's odd. Why it's not even cutting power completely off after 45 seconds I can't explain. But, did you set your power settings through Windows yet? If you go to your power settings by:

1. Right-clicking on the desktop
    2. Go to Properties
    3. Click on the Power button
    4. Click on the Advanced Tab
    5. Under the drop down menu labeled "When I press the power button......", you beed to set what the computer should do when the power button is pressed. Either Hibernate, which is what I use, or Shut Down.

How this works is when you turn your ignition off, the m2-atx sends a signal to your motherboard as if you pressed your power button on your carpc. If Windows isn't configured to do anything when the power button is pressed, it won't shut down.

As for the hardoff, I really can't explain that one, but maybe the jumpers are touching the jumper pins fully. Check to make sure its a snug fit when you slide it on.

Hope this helps you.

Comment

windows is set up properly, i had to put an inline button on the wire so i can manually shut it down. i think there must be something wrong with the psu. it turns the computer on everytime with no fail, just doesnt do anything in the way of shutting it down. when i press the button i put in, it shuts windows down smoothly (not a hardoff).
      my setup - finally

Comment

that really sucks. It does sound like a defective M2. I would RMA it and get rid of your headache!
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I am curious to see how do you wire the PSU's power button wire and the manual button to hook up to the mobo? I know there is only 1 header on the mobo for the power button and you connecting 2 headers into it (the manual button and the PSU)

I have that setup too but I just tap into the wires from the PSU power header like a Y cable.
          Also, make sure the orientation of the power header from the PSU to the mobo is correct (+ to + and - to -). I am not sure if the M2 has this problem. So just try to flip the header aroud to see if that fix the shutdown problem.
          As far as it turn on correctly everytime, well maybe not if your mobo is setup to be ON when power resume in BIOS (Resume on power failure.....) Double check that setting in BIOS too.
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

are you using a full version of windows?? The way to check if its the M2 is to boot the PC up with a windows installation CD in (or a bootable dos disk) and turn of the ignition source (switch or whatever you have). The PC should shut down if you motherboard is fully ACPI compliant (anything built int he last 6-7years will be). I have seen nlited installs (there is a small ISO installation floating around called XP Jacked lite) which will only go into standby and not shut down, it may not be the M2

Comment

its a full version of windows and the computer is plenty up to date. i used to have the m1-atx powering it, but i somehow killed three of them (not sure how) so i went with the m2, with the m1 everything worked like it should which leaves me to believe that there is a problem with the shutdown controller.

as for the flipping of the connector, that doesnt do anything, ive tried it but logically it wouldnt change because all it is doing is producing continuity or a loop.
              my setup - finally

Comment

Have you checked the accessory/ignition wire from your car to the M2.

Sounds like the 12 volts might remain on for a period of time after you remove the key keeping it from shutting down.

Michael
                ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

its not that, ive had everything set up the exact same in the same car and with the m1-atx it worked properly
                  my setup - finally

Comment

just to make wired happy, can you multimeter it easily?
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

shouldnt be too hard, but i cant until the weekend. what would you like me to test?
                      my setup - finally

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
                        Have you checked the accessory/ignition wire from your car to the M2.

Sounds like the 12 volts might remain on for a period of time after you remove the key keeping it from shutting down.

Michael
                        to add, i have had it staying on for over five minutes after the ignition has been off and ive opened and closed the doors
                        my setup - finally

Comment

I am having the same problem, I actually came on the forum to post this same thing. I have an M2-ATX as well.

Here's some history of my problem. When I first installed my carpc, I could also turn on automatically with the M2-ATX but only one out of 10-15 tries, would it successfully auto turn off. This was before I had my computer mounted in a case.

I mounted it in a case. This was the only change I had done. Suddenly my problems went away and it turned on and off properly.

About a month later I changed the motherboard from a CL-10000 to an M10000 and the problems came back. I eventually swapped the motherboard back to the CL-10000 and I still have shutdown problems. I thought somehow I might have a short so I put electrical tape on any areas where the motherboard might touch the case. Still problems... I haven't really had time to work on it either lately.

Any suggestions? Shutting down doesn't work in/out of windows (the month when it was working shutting down at anytime was no problem)

Comment

Over the weekend can you check to see if the PC will shutdown with the ignition in DOS (also for testing purposes put the jumper on A). If the unit DOESNT shut down in dos then the startup/shutdown controller is stuffed. If it shuts down in DOS but not in windows its the windows installation that is causing it. Also are you using minlogon on your windows installation, if you are that could be the problem however there is a fix for this. Check out this thread

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...=minlogon+acpi

Comment

are you wanting me to put a jumper on just the A spot, or all 4 of them? and ill try it again but it hasn't shut down in DOS previously because i have tried.
                              my setup - finally

Comment

Working...
                              X