No announcement yet.

Want to regulate power to my screen...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to regulate power to my screen...

Hi everyone.

I tried running my screen off the auxillary output on my M1-ATX.

It didn't power on and then a few second later I started to smell burning! So I've decided not to use that method to power the screen. I'm just going to tap into the cigar lighter but I'm aware I need to regulate it.

I'm not too sure what it is I need so if anyone knows about them can yu check out the links below:

Its the QL32K regulator on this page with this heatsink (its the reccomended heat sink).

Thanks,

Andy
    -------------------------
    What's that burning smell?

Originally posted by a-ten View Post
    Hi everyone.

I tried running my screen off the auxillary output on my M1-ATX.

It didn't power on and then a few second later I started to smell burning! So I've decided not to use that method to power the screen. I'm just going to tap into the cigar lighter but I'm aware I need to regulate it.

I'm not too sure what it is I need so if anyone knows about them can yu check out the links below:

Its the QL32K regulator on this page with this heatsink (its the reccomended heat sink).

Thanks,

Andy
    Are you sure that the screen will still work. Usually, once there is the release of the Magic Electornic Genie Smoke, it doesn't work anymore.

And what is the "auxillary output on my M1-ATX" I have never seen reference to it in the M2 manual (http://www.short-circuit.com/manuals/M2-ATX-manual.pdf)

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Chop off the end of the cig lighter plug (the plug that goes into the car) and use those wires directly to the cig lighter wires, or any other good 12v supply. If the cig lighter has an "egg" or "brick" on it then leave that part alone and make sure to chop the wires before that. If it doesn't then the regulator is in the monitor. Check the monitor's back and see if it says 11v-14v DC input or just 12vDC. That way you can also figure out if you need center pin positive or negative.

Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
        Are you sure that the screen will still work. Usually, once there is the release of the Magic Electornic Genie Smoke, it doesn't work anymore.

And what is the "auxillary output on my M1-ATX" I have never seen reference to it in the M2 manual (http://www.short-circuit.com/manuals/M2-ATX-manual.pdf)

Michael
        You beat me this time!

The "auxillary port" is a European term for the P4 connector. The 2x2 plug.

And yes magic genie smoke is a bad sign...

I had an electronics proffessor explain the first day that all electronic devices work because the chinese manufactures trap smoke genies inside to do the dirty work. Once they are let free, you have no hope on getting them back inside.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Luckily the screen still works. I think the smoke genies came from the psu but you could only smell them not see them

Regarding the voltage. I'm pretty sure the regulator was in the cigar lighter bit so I need to put a new one in. Is the one I've found not suitable?

Also, yeh the auxillary thing I was on about is used for the remote turn on signal to sound system amps etc.

Andy

Comment

Well, that explains a lot.

The "aux" you speak of can only "source" 100 miliamps. If it used to energize relays or a an audio amplifier. You blew your PS with plain stupidity.

Michael
            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You used the remote power wire to power your screen? The little itty bitty wire that only gives out mA of current, and you used it to power your 1-2 amp screen?

You need to use the connector from a molex. the yellow wire.

Comment

If you can get needed parts, build the circuit on this page http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82446
                I built the 5V and 12V to power the DVD-ROM and headrest monitors.
                Well, you only need to build the 12V portion.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Plain stupidity!? Thanks for the encouragement.

Anyway, I checked everywhere for the current rating on the aux supply and all I came up with was a max 2A on the 12v rail so I assumed that was inclusive of the 12v aux supply.

I guess now I can just tap a yellow 12v supply within the PC such as a spare power connector?

Andy

Comment

Anyway, I checked everywhere for the current rating on the aux supply and all I came up with was a max 2A on the 12v rail so I assumed that was inclusive of the 12v aux supply.

I guess now I can just tap a yellow 12v supply within the PC such as a spare power connector?

Andy
                    yup

Comment

The M2 provides 8A on the 12v rail and people are still cautious about power the screen off of it.

The M1 only provides 2A, and depending if you are running 3.5" HD too or something, that may be a big problem.

Comment

Andy
                        STOP CALLING IT AN AUX SUPPLY. It is a "remote turn on signal"

It is not a SUPPLY, AUX or otherwise. The manual never refers to it as such. WTH did you get the idea that it could source ANY amount of current? It sources minimal current (100 to 200 MILLIAMPS) to flip a relay, THAT IS ALL. The 2 amps of the M1 12volt output is available on the ATX connector, AND NO WHERE ELSE.

And, it is PLAIN STUPIDITY to connect the M1 to your system with out Encouragement, you want encouragement, READ EVERY FAQ, and EVERY MANUAL FOR YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE YOU EFF SOMETHING ELSE UP.

Michael

Comment

I think I'll be alright. The screen is fused at 1000mA so it won't draw more than 1A off the 12v rail.

According to this calculator I should have plenty more than that since I'm only running a 2.5" hard drive at the moment.

I may add a DVD player one day but I'll make sure that its only a 5v one.

Andy

PS: Why are people with M2-ATXs concerned? 8A is huge is it not?

PPS: Michael,

I HAVE read every F-ing manual and reckon I understand most of what I'm doing pretty well! Fair enough the manual does describe its as an amp turn-on and I know that relays/amp gates draw very little power!

However NOWHERE in the manual does it quote a maximum current draw for the amp turn-on supply. All it gives is a max draw for the psu's 12v supply. Since the amp turn-on channel runs off 12v I imagined it was inclusive of this.

I guess I've been lucky since my system and screen is still working.

On another point, everyone starts somewhere. Some time ago you probably didn't know that computers run off 12v, 5v and 3.3v supplies (as I didn't) and even when you had learnt this, you may not have seen any reason for an amp turn-on supply to have its current draw limited! Had you gone searching for advice, i doubt you would have found a response similar to yours very helpful.

You need to remember that this forum is not just here for advanced users to discuss their issues but also for people that are newer to the hobby. And before you post a 'use the F-ing search button' reply, I did but couldn't find anything relevant.

Chill out mate, its a hobby
                          !

Comment

PS: Why are people with M2-ATXs concerned? 8A is huge is it not?
                            [/B]!
                            If you click on to view some more page in the PS subforum, you will know why. Some people have luck with it other has the PSU die and took almost everything connect to it while it die.
                            People don't hook up the screen because it is the most expensive item to deal with.

One of the reason Michael giving you a hard time because more often people want to be spoon feed. I know info is there but hard to find especially when you suck at searching like me. Next time just make your question the right way that other people don't think you want to be spoon feed.
                            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Point taken Matrix. Still I feel it was a little unprovoked.

Toaster: Just seen your diagram. LOL, why is it called an egg? i was looking at the internal components looking for an oval bit!

Comment

Working...
                              X