Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16v power supply for laptops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16v power supply for laptops

    Greetings all and thanks for any input,

    I am planning on installing a laptop in a docking station that requires a 16v input. I assume that running a 19v Carnetix 1900 is risky due to the over-voltage. Is there a similar risk running a 12v Carnetix 1290 to the docking station?

    I understand that I can use a generic dc-dc adaptor for the laptop that provides the proper voltage, but would prefer to have the benefit of a startup/shutdown controller, as well as having a clean 12v line that can be used to feed my monitor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

    Cheers

  • #2
    You could still use the carnetix to power a 12 to 16 v dc to dc.

    I wonder if the laptop would run with only 12 volts.
    I suspect the 16 volts is need for charging it's battery.
    My old 386 laptop is this way.

    Comment


    • #3
      That's bad advice.

      What I would think is use a Carnetix P1290 to provide 12v power to a car adapter that powers the laptop. You could still use the startup/shutdown features of the carnetix that way.

      As far as the docking station, I'd check to see the required input voltage it requires. Frankly, I think a docking station is the ideal solution, although they're harder & harder to find these days.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?



      Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
        That's bad advice.
        What is?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by billmee View Post
          What is?


          Dont mind him.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            That's bad advice.

            What I would think is use a Carnetix P1290 to provide 12v power to a car adapter that powers the laptop. You could still use the startup/shutdown features of the carnetix that way.
            You could still use the carnetix to power a 12 to 16 v dc to dc.

            You called that bad advice but isnt that the same thing you said above?

            Why you want to use "car battery > carnetix > PSU > Laptop" ?
            It be far more efficient to go directly by using the car-laptop PSU alone.



            Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            As far as the docking station, I'd check to see the required input voltage it requires. Frankly, I think a docking station is the ideal solution, although they're harder & harder to find these days.
            He did say docking station needs 16V, docking station usually use the same voltage as the laptop, just requires higher current to cope with the other peripherals attached to it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Thefdog View Post
              Greetings all and thanks for any input,

              I am planning on installing a laptop in a docking station that requires a 16v input. I assume that running a 19v Carnetix 1900 is risky due to the over-voltage. Is there a similar risk running a 12v Carnetix 1290 to the docking station?

              I understand that I can use a generic dc-dc adaptor for the laptop that provides the proper voltage, but would prefer to have the benefit of a startup/shutdown controller, as well as having a clean 12v line that can be used to feed my monitor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

              Cheers
              If you want to use the carnetix, you may be able to modify it so that it spit out 16V instead. A typical PSU requires a feedback and usually is made out of 2 resistors thats connected directly to the PSU output and the voltage control. If you ask the carnetix guy they might be able to change these 2 resistor values such that it outputs 16V for your docking station. If thats how the carnetix work and you know which of these 2 resistors to change then its easy to do.

              As for the 12V for the monitor, dont know, maybe just get a 12V regs?

              Plenty of option out there, depends how you want it done, how much you want to spend.

              Comment


              • #8
                Please take a look at this thread...
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...75&postcount=3
                MikeH

                Comment

                Working...
                X