Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M2-ATX J9 - External Power Switch - Busted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX J9 - External Power Switch - Busted?

I have my M2-ATX all wired up and everything is working except the J9 power switch.

I have J9 connected with a two wire plug to a simple push button. With the M2 getting power (LED is lit) I try and push the button and the PC doesn't turn on..

Thinking it may be the switch I removed the wires from the switch and just touched them together, still nothing.

I then tried grounding the pins together on the M2 itself, still nothing.

Is that something that can happen? J8 powers on the motherboard fine..

Thanks
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Try this

Sounds like this problem I had:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...iscovered.html
    ~Jimmy

Comment

No, it's not the same. I know you have to first give the M2 an IGN on signal before you can use the J9 power button.

That's what I meant by saying the M2 had power with the LED. The jumper you have with the 2 hours hard off means that the M2 will stay powered for 2 hours. In those two hours if you PC is off I should be able to use the J9 power button to power my PC on.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

J8 and J9 are hard wired together.

What do you mean J8 powers the motherboard fine?

You should have (Mobo power header) -> J8, then shorting J9 will start the motherboard.

Comment

J8 is connected directly to the motherboard.

J9 is connected to a momentary push button switch.

When I turn my truck on the IGN signal is sent and the motherboard powers up and works fine.

When I turn my truck off, the motherboard shuts down correctly. I should now have 2 hours to be able to power up the motherboard by using the J9 switch.

When I press the J9 switch nothing happens.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Yes it makes sense.

Option 1) - connection between J8 and J9 is broken. Easy to test, try to power on mobo by shorting pins on mobo, try swaping mobo power from j8 to j9, check continuity between j8 and j9. Very unlikely.

Option 2) - the mobo may only be powering on due to the m2 atx kicking in, not from the IGN signal (is your BIOS set up to resume on power on?). Double check cable runs to right pins on mobo

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd2 View Post
              Option 2) - the mobo may only be powering on due to the m2 atx kicking in, not from the IGN signal (is your BIOS set up to resume on power on?). Double check cable runs to right pins on mobo
              The M2 doesn't come on until it gets the IGN signal which in turn sends the signal to J8/J9 to power on the motherboard, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340 View Post
                The M2 doesn't come on until it gets the IGN signal which in turn sends the signal to J8/J9 to power on the motherboard, right?
                Yep - what may be happening is the M2 is sending the signal to J8/J9 but that is getting ignored by the motherboard for some reason (explaining the failure of J9 to work). The motherboard may STILL turn on, just from noticing that power has arrived. Some BIOS's do this. Think of some PCs turning on automatically just from having the power cord plugged in.

There are loads of simple tests you can do to rule this out though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd2 View Post
                  There are loads of simple tests you can do to rule this out though.
                  The first being simply take the cable going from the motherboard header which I *assume* is working and move it to J9 instead of J8?

Comment

The first being simply take the cable going from the motherboard header which I *assume* is working and move it to J9 instead of J8?
                    Yes.

Second, remove it completely.

Comment

Ok. Will try that tonight.

Thanks for the help Nerd.

Comment

Well it appears after some tests that J9 is no longer parallel with J8. I put the motherboard cable on J9 and manually ground out J8 and nothing happens.

If I manually ground out J9 with the cable attached it powers up. I also tried with no cables attached to the M2 and the board doesn't power up (as it shouldn't).

I guess the easiest fix for this is to just run my switch cable parallel with the motherboard header cable instead of on the M2.. Right?

Comment

That sounds about right, but by experience, when my vehicle is off, and turn on the PC using the secondary P/switch, the PC stays on for about 3 minutes and comes off hard (the M2-ATX powers all the rails down.) I have a gel battery that had powered my pc for about 5 continuous hours with the ignition lead getting power from a non switched wire and the vehicle not running. Try to hold that secondary switch for 4 seconds and see what happens (you have to wait for the M2-ATX to competely shut the pc down and then try it. Or, connect the ignition lead to a non-switched 12V and try. If J9 is not working, then J8 should not work either.

Comment

Well it appears after some tests that J9 is no longer parallel with J8. I put the motherboard cable on J9 and manually ground out J8 and nothing happens.
                            Very strange - if the mobo cable is on J9, does it power up with Truck IGN? Can you see any PCB damage on the M2?

Yes, anyway simplest solution is just to solder your switch parallel into the cable itself.

Comment

J9 Cable loose

Hi nerd

One day my pc simply didn't turn on. I opened the case and found that the Black/red cable from the J9 of the M2 ATX regulator had come off. Probm is, adunno where it connected to, or if its the cause for the pc not turning on. Pliz help.

Comment

Working...
                              X