shutdown solution needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shutdown solution needed

my problem is different from any problem than i have read in other posts.

asus at3gci, lilliput 629, started on xp now on 7. 629 is powered from the m2
    problem: startup on pc works fine, use no issues. when i turn off my car the lilliput turns off (i assume the pc turns off) a second passes and the lilliput turns back on and displays the mobo screen and windows starts to boot then after the 30 second is up the pc shuts off.

never does the computer hibernate. all settings lend towards hibernation. anything in windows that says activate hibernate, change what the power buttons do is set. i can manually make the pc hibernate. it seems like either the pc is losing power then getting it back and rebooting or the m2 hard off then reboots to do another hard off

i hope i am describing it correctly or at least well enough for you guys to help. hibernate is key to this install. also if this has actually been asked an answered before and i just missed it please point me in that direction
    CarPc Progress
    Planning 100%
    Assembly & Fabwork 80%
    Installation 95%
    Bugs worked out 45%

1. Check the power button setting in the BIOS. It should be set to shutdown or soft off. There are other names for it. Just make sure it's not instant-off type words.

2. Use a DMM to watch PSU output power. If it goes to 0V, that's the problem. The ACPI output could be shorting something, but it's not likely.

Comment

so after playing in the car today ive discovered 2 things.

1. my bios does not have a power button option or anything that seems related to the power button. it has suspend mode (s1 s3 and auto). tried all three of those and still no solution.

2. where i thought i was a hard off then restart before i dont think its that anymore. i think the pc is resetting instead of hibernating. i thought i was doing a hard off reboot before since the lilliput cuts off then back on. when the monitor turned back on after 1 1.5 seconds the pc was at post.

so this is where I am in my thinking. the pc hibernates fine when done manually. the m2 starts the pc as advertised. when i go from key on position to acc no change. from acc to off pc hard restarts, starts to boot, 30seconds pass the offdelay on the m2 shuts the pc down. it has to be something between the powerbuttion switch on teh m2 and the board. but why would it start like normal no issues but act stupid on shutdown?

i have the at3gci motherboard. if there is a power button setting that i am continually overlooking please point it out lol.

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
      2. Use a DMM to watch PSU output power. If it goes to 0V, that's the problem. The ACPI output could be shorting something, but it's not likely.
      how to you watch the output power? i have the 20pin and the 4pin connected. where do I need to look?
      CarPc Progress
      Planning 100%
      Assembly & Fabwork 80%
      Installation 95%
      Bugs worked out 45%

Comment

When hibernate causes a reset it's usually bad ram, but you're getting a successful hibernate manually, so that's out.

You could simulate the ACPI pulse by disconnecting the power button wires and shorting them (wires going to the PC) for a half second with a paperclip or anything you have handy. Do it a couple seconds after turning the key on, then let it boot up and turn the key off and short it again. If it resets it's the BIOS (or the reset button?). Otherwise you're going to need to isolate the output somehow.

To watch power set the DMM to 20VDC, touch the black probe to ground (7 black wires) and red to 12V (yellow wire). Usually you can shove the probe into the back of the molex connector to make contact. The 4 or so red wires are all 5V.

Comment

ok so i tested all the wires at computer crank, idle, off...there were no voltage fluctuations and all read out the voltages they were supposed to. nothing spiked nor diped at the m2 or at the 20/4pin on the m2 or the 20 pin and 4pin on the motherboard.

i can send the pc into hibernation manually by shorting the pins.

at this point i have at one pointed wired the constant directly to battery and manually triggered ignition from the battery...even then once i took ignition away the lilliput flickered no signal then back on to show the asus screen...computer posted and showed the improper shutdown screen/countdown

any other ideas?
          CarPc Progress
          Planning 100%
          Assembly & Fabwork 80%
          Installation 95%
          Bugs worked out 45%

Comment

Wow, that's a tough one. So with the M2 wired directly to the battery, when you remove the IGN wire it hard resets? Is that even with the ACPI wires disconnected? I don't think that's an easy fix if so. I'd say there's something seriously wrong with it. Have you tried disconnecting everything else like the amp? Anything else that's not powered by the M2 and connected to the PC?

Being the 20 pin has all the right values and no drops (well a DMM won't show noise or very quick drops) it seems like it would be fine. There's also 3.3V, PWR_OK, and PSU_ON that could be bad, but if the 12V is good the rest should be.

Comment

Hi shortydoo,
              What mode have you got the M2 operating in ?
              VIA Pico ITX, M2-ATX clone, 7" Seform 800x480 LCD Touchscreen, Dual 2x75WRMS Mini Amps, IDE-CF & SATA-CF adapters, 8GB (Sys) & 32GB (MP3s) CF, ELMscan5USB, Slot-load DVD, Craig Brass DAB+/FM USB module, Odyssey Navigator
              Build 90% Apps 50% Install 10%

Comment

yeah even with the pin disconnected it will do that. the really weird thing is the computer fans never react period. my fans have a white led on them (dont ask why they put those on there) and that doesnt even flicker when i kill ignition.

i have a directed hd radio hooked up via mitchjs cable to the pc
                a usb port, line in from the hdradio, 2 outs from motherboard to a line driver, and the Lilliput powered off a molex.

should the green light on the board always be lit?

im trying to think of what is involved in shutdown that is not involved in startup since the pc starts up and runs fine.

maybe i need to get another m2...
                CarPc Progress
                Planning 100%
                Assembly & Fabwork 80%
                Installation 95%
                Bugs worked out 45%

Comment

i haven't used that specific board, but am familiar with a bunch of asus boards-- on most of them, the green light is powered by the 5v trigger line(the line that the motherboard usually connects to ground to tell the power supply to turn on)-- to indicate that the power supply is on. so it shouldn't have too much effect for this problem.

it really is starting to sound like a power supply problem, like it drops voltage real quick and then goes back to normal.

how is your power wire connected? is it running straight off the battery, or connected to a cigarette lighter adapter? what about the ground wire off the power supply?

otherwise, i am also in the southern chicagoland area, and am running a dsatx--if it could help eliminate some problems, or at least narrow it down your trouble shooting before running out and getting another dc-dc, let me know.
                  My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                  "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

i have a 4ga power wire run back to the trunk that splits to 2 8ga. the constant for the pc taps off that. the ignition wire is coming off the ignition fuse back through a relay with turns on the hd radio and signals the pc to come on shut off. the ground has its own ground point not far from the pc.

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                    otherwise, i am also in the southern chicagoland area, and am running a dsatx--if it could help eliminate some problems, or at least narrow it down your trouble shooting before running out and getting another dc-dc, let me know.
                    thanks i appreciate it.
                    CarPc Progress
                    Planning 100%
                    Assembly & Fabwork 80%
                    Installation 95%
                    Bugs worked out 45%

Comment

i assume that the 4 ga is for some amps in the trunk?

did you sand off the paint in the area that you attached the ground wire to?

if you have enough wire, maybe try grounding the pc to the same location as the amps-- it might be a faulty ground point.

and just to make sure that i understand the relay correctly-- you have a switched lead from the front of the car, going to the coil input on the relay, which is then grounded.
                      you have a constant 12v power wire going to one switched lead on the relay, and the hd radio, and the m2's acc/ign lines are connected to the other side of the switch.

is that about right?
                      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

You might want to follow this thread too. Sounds the same but slower.
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...-problems.html
                        Your issue is happening too fast to see on a DMM. I think only a scope would show anything. Maybe a PSU tester would show something, maybe not. Is there any way to send it back for repair?

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
                          You might want to follow this thread too. Sounds the same but slower.
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...-problems.html
                          Your issue is happening too fast to see on a DMM. I think only a scope would show anything. Maybe a PSU tester would show something, maybe not. Is there any way to send it back for repair?
                          my friend has a scope. he said he needs to know what wires to scope. I emailed mini box and they said they had no idea what could be causing the problem and offered the latest firmware. hes standing next to me now and says he needs to know what wires and what is he looking for.

im going to take a look at the other thread when i get home. im at work right now
                          CarPc Progress
                          Planning 100%
                          Assembly & Fabwork 80%
                          Installation 95%
                          Bugs worked out 45%

Comment

I just looked up "atx 20 pin pinout" and found quite a few. Here's one: http://www.powerstream.com/itx-atx-pinout.htm

Start with the +12V then 5V and 3.3V, and maybe PWR_OK. Something has to change right when the PC hard resets and it should look like a hard drop on the scope at maybe 100Hz or above.

Comment

Was there ever a fix for this? I am having the same issue with my M2-ATX.

Turn Key>Start Delay>Computer Boots Like It Should
                              Turn Off>Hard Computer Off>Starts to Boot Computer From Scratch>Gets Hard Off by 30sec delay

What was the fix for this?
                              Carputer Progress
                              [||||||||||] 100%
                              Finally Installed!!
                              Everything is in the car and working.
                              I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
                              Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
                              View My Progress Here

Comment

Working...
                              X