Shut down when opt drive used

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shut down when opt drive used

I have a new system using a Asus ionatx-i, m2-atx ps, lightscribe 5.25 dvd drive. Everytime I try to load my OS in my dvd drive everything shuts down. can anyone help?

I purchased a LG external drive that runs on usb and the system stays up and running. I do have an idea though- can I run unregulated 12v to the 5.25 drive bypassing the m2atx? I realize a diode would be necesary so not to feedback current into the m2atx. I would like to know if the light-on desktop drive would handle the current because I really like the beefier tray on it and the W/RW speed. Also sorry for the double post there was a delay on posting the first one. Thanks

Comment

The diode won't do anything unless you are paralleling the two power feeds.

You problem may be the unregulated supply, and signal voltages exceeding the +12V supply voltages (AFAIK that's doubtful - usually open collector or 5V signaling is used).

Comment

Thanks for reply

So there is no way to bypass the m2atx to power the dvd drive? I understand that power regulation is a must with the MB but I would think a dvd drive would not be as finicky about pwr regulation

Comment

i couldn't find the motherboard on google, but can't you use a desktop psu and install everything?
          good luck

Comment

You can use a separate supply - that shouldn't be a problem.
            But I wouldn't recommend a "raw" car supply in case of spikes etc.

I'd try it but I would accept the risk. I'd do it for HDDs as well, but I always buy pairs of HDDs in case one control board blows (no - not for RAID). But DVD's aren't as risky - it's not like you gonna wreck your data.

Comment

Working...
            X