Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition wire

Hi All,

I have tried looking around and really canít find advice on this question.

Basically i have an m2-atx that i am about to install. I understand the +ve wire goes to the car battery, grd wire to grounded part of the car. But what about the ignition wire... i have heard some people say +12v can that just be the battery too?

I want my car pc to start up on the car starting up, and shut down when the car is engine off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Neo

Ignition wire is as the description says a wire which has 12v when the ignition on and 0v when it isn't.

SO you need to find something that only has power when the ignition is on.

Normally your HU will have such a wire as well as a constant 12v and a -ve

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
      Normally your HU will have such a wire as well as a constant 12v and a -ve
      but i don't recommend tapping into the factory harness for constant power or ground!!!

and make sure to fuse the power wire within 18" of the battery..
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

^^^^ What he said. I run the ignition wire from my radio harness to my trunk, 4GA wire from the battery (fused very close to the battery) to a distribution block in the trunk, and 4GA wire from a good chassis ground to a distribution block. I have all of the power and grounds I need to power my computer, accessories, and amplifier.
        1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

What ALL said above - especially the pics!

But be careful with the HU switched power - often it is from ACC meaning it is OFF when cranking.
          IGN power remains on when cranking.

The Ignition Coil+ may be a source for IGN +12V (albeit inconvenient) if you can't access the IGN Key Switch, or dash meters or tacho. EFI vehicles always have an IGN relay (ie, a reverse-polarity protected "main" relay that switches power to the ECU & injectors).

Comment

HI all,

Thanks for the replies, so i am pretty sure I understand what you are saying, I just need to find somewhere on my 350z where i can tap into the ignition, i suspect my best bet is going to be the bose stereo.

The next question is i was planning to wire a 4pin molex to the end of my lilliput car cable, so i could then connect to the PC to have it on only when the pc was on. However my question is that half way along the lilliput cable is a small box that looks like it has some sort of transformer in it, do i remove this or leave it on? (if i leave it on the only pain is will it not get hot when hidden away under the carpet etc..

Let me know your thoughts!
            Thanks again for all the advice!

Comment

That box is a choke to reduce electrical noise and keep the picture clean. It should stay.
              My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

will it get hot and be a potential fire risk if hidden away?

Comment

no, at the most, it will be warm to the touch.

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG View Post
                    That box is a choke to reduce electrical noise and keep the picture clean. It should stay.
                    Should that choke stay if the OP wires it to a molex and powered the screen from the PSU?

That's what I did on my setup.

I recall some thread or someone saying to remove it if going this route. What say yaw?

Comment

good point. i thought about adding it, but kind of forgot..

overall, it is a very cheap filter circuit, so i am hesitant to even use it when getting power from the car...

after my recent/past experiences with the simplicity of using dc-dc psu's and 12v ldo voltage regulators, i ditch the filter circuit a heartbeat.

imo, powering a screen is very similar to audio systems-- bad connections can cause issues with the image quality(there are plenty of threads on lines in the screens from ground loops) and a cheap filter circuit is of no use if you take the time to connect it correctly to a decent power circuit.

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

^^ agreed, I missed that part on wiring to PSU. Don't throw it away though. Save it to re-attach later. Someday you may want to sell the monitor to upgrade and the next guy might need it.

Comment

so you would cut it out, then wire to molex

Comment

Yes.

Comment

okie dokie...

One more question then, is my m2-atx did not come with cables for the ground, +ve, ingnition. What Guage should these be? they are probably going to be around 0.5m to 1m long.

Let me know,
                              many thanks!
                              Neo

Comment

Working...
                              X