• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to add SSD to M2-ATX PSU & VIA EPIA SP13000G Mini-ITX Motherboard

Hi guys, any help would be appreciated.

I have
    VIA EPIA SP13000G Mini-ITX Motherboard
    M2-ATX 160W Intelligent DC-DC PSU

My current old HD is a Highly reliable Seagate 40GB 2.5-inch ATA-100 EE25 Automotive Grade extreme Conditions and did not need power.

I have a 64GB SSD that I would like to swap my 40GB with, I have my case open but I am confused.

I see that my motherboard has SATA powers, but I don't see any type of power for SATA or even a Molex to get an adapter for. The only thing I see is the following
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130124_162320.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	2309699

Can I somehow convert this to power my SSD or am I missing something, any help would be appreciated!

You can get a adapter for your molex connector that was plugged into your old hard drive to convert it to SATA

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...FQSf4Aodxl8Alw

The connector you have there is for a floppy drive and wouldnt work.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, thats the issue, there is no molex connector, my previous hard drive did not require a seperate power cable

After doing some searching, I noticed the M2-ATX psu has a seperate P4 connector that is unused, maybe I can use a P4 to Sata Power cable?

Comment

If you email mini-box, you can get a replacement M2ATX harness, which has a hard drive connector, and I think the new ones even have a SATA power cable.
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

All the M2 ATX cables I have seen came with molex plugs so you must have something old then

Comment

Originally posted by bmw_car_pc View Post
            All the M2 ATX cables I have seen came with molex plugs so you must have something old then
            I purchased this psu 02/2009, there are no molex connectors on it.

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
              If you email mini-box, you can get a replacement M2ATX harness, which has a hard drive connector, and I think the new ones even have a SATA power cable.
              I just sent them an email, thanks for the advice guys, hopefully they can give me a hand.

Worst case scenario I guess I could go from the P4 connector to Sata Power and just buy a cable for it tomorrow.

Comment

Odd I received a reply back from mini-box and they replied with the molex to sata adapter. Am I missing something from my harness because my 20pin power goes to (2) 4pin mini molex connectors, I do not have a regular molex like most people seem to think I have lol

Comment

Yes you are missing something from your harness. You don't need an adapter, you need a REPLACEMENT m2atx 20pin-20pin harness, which comes with molex and sata connectors. Top cable here: http://resources.mini-box.com/online...s/M2-ATX-2.jpg
                  "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                  RevFE
                  My Shop

Comment

malcom2073, thanks so I am not going crazy

I checked on their site in psu's section and accessories, didn't find it. Does mini-box or someone else still sell these? Also do you know if any stores would sell that locally so I can upgrade my carpc this weekend while I am bored

Thanks again man, appreciate it!

Comment

Nope, I've yet to be able to find it anywhere else, and minibox doesn't sell it on their website, you have to specifically ask for it via email and they'll sell it to you.
                      RevFE
                      My Shop

Comment

Man you guys suck at google. http://www.mo-co-so.com/20-pin-ATX-P...s-atx-2020.htm

Give me a prize!
                        Last edited by Tidder; 01-25-2013, 04:29 PM.
                        Tidder

Try RevFE
                        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by meth68 View Post
                          Thanks for the reply, thats the issue, there is no molex connector, my previous hard drive did not require a seperate power cable

After doing some searching, I noticed the M2-ATX psu has a seperate P4 connector that is unused, maybe I can use a P4 to Sata Power cable?
                          Not sure why nobody commented on this. Most all laptop hdds and SSDs I've ran into use 5v only. P4 is only 12v and ground. And normal 3.5" sata drives require both 12v and 5v.
                          Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                            Not sure why nobody commented on this. Most all laptop hdds and SSDs I've ran into use 5v only. P4 is only 12v and ground. And normal 3.5" sata drives require both 12v and 5v.
                            Tidder, thanks for the reply I appreciate. I found a P4 to Sata power adapter, are you saying not to use it for my SSD? If not back to plan xxx lol

Comment

Do you have a link you can provide to the cable you found? I don't see how that could work. Laptop SATA hdds require 5v, desktop SATA hdds require 12v and 5v. P4 connector only provides 12v so either its providing only 12v to the SATA connector's 12v or it's supplying 12v to the SATA connector's 5v. Means it would either just not work, or worse, fry the drive.
                              Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Working...
                              X