M2 ATX Amp turn on not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2 ATX Amp turn on not working

Ok.. as far as I understand the left hand pin on the jumper for the amp turn on should turn on my amp and stop the pop noise that I get at the moment. I connected it up and its not turning my amp on. I got the multimeter out and i'm only reading 5v a cross that jumper is this right ? If not can I do something to fix it other than installing a seperate 5v relay to then send the 12v needed to my amp.. which sort of defeats the object here.

cheers

CdRsKuLL
    Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Hello

I just checked the voltage on J6 on my M2-ATX and i get 11.6 volts. If you only have 5 volts then it does sound like a fault.
    Regards

Dingo

http://interesting-devices.com
    http://caravan-smart.co.uk

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder

Comment

One of those pins is 12v and the other ground. Did you try measuring from only one jumper and put the other probe on the ground input wire. If your amps only use a 12v signal to turn on, you will only need to use one pin on that J6 jumper.
      1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
      CarPC's in F-bodies
      How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
      (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
      Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

Im having the same problem, i measured the voltage across both pins on the J6 jumper and its reading about 5.11 volts... in the mean time iv hooked my amps up to the ignition power wire... im going to try and measure the voltage from on of the pins and the cars ground and see if i get anything different... amps require a constant 12volts to the remote turnon... if its a fault on the board, just connect your remote turnon wire to your ignition wire and u should be fine, but ull still get the pop at startup...
        1997 30th Anniversary Z28 Camaro M6 w/ T-Tops
        www.cardomain.com/id/squigley - i should prob update this...
        "Gettin Sideways"
        ~Ryan Quigley

Comment

I have two amps- one is turning on, the other is is not with the m2. Had exactly the same setup with the m1 with no problems.

I dont have a multimeter but I suspect the problem may be that one of the amps is less sensitive than the other to getting the corrct voltage.

Comment

It might not give off enough current to work for both. Install a relay inline.
            Setup:
            Dynaudio 240GT
            PPI PC4100, PPI PC2350
            Zapco DSP6
            ADS DAC
            Testing new board (Albatron KI690-AM2)

"I dont know if complaints were filed, or mistakes were made, but feelings were hurt." -Krystal Washington

Comment

The frustrating thing is that the m1 worked fine.

Could you explain the relay thing?

Comment

This might help:
                http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/relay.htm

Also Google it. A relay can take a tiny amount of electricity to activate it's internal coil and throw the switch on a much stronger set of contacts. You can get Bosch 12v relays at the auto parts store. If you see only 5 volts from your M2, then you might check Radioshack and see if they have a 5 volt relay.
                CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

So if I get a 5v relay, would it be a problem if it were actually putting out around 8v for example?

Comment

I'm not sure. Can you find out the voltage for sure?
                    If it were 8v then I might try a 12v relay and see if it has enough power to turn it on. Or you could use the 5v relay and get a resistor of the right size and run it in series to drop the 8 volts down.
                    CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

mine does read 12(ish) volts when not underload, but as soon as the amp is connected it drops down to 5, which isnt enough. I will be looking into building a little relay as mentioned in my first post 5v thing. .but I still thinkits a fault with the design on the M2, so thats two things wrong with it now.. now P4 power lead and crappie rem amp pin..

On the other hand it had no problem powering my sempron 3000+ and three screens and all the rest of the crap in my car.

such a shame it doesnt work as well as the M1 on the rem

CdR
                      Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by CdRsKuLL View Post
                        mine does read 12(ish) volts when not underload, but as soon as the amp is connected it drops down to 5, which isnt enough. I will be looking into building a little relay as mentioned in my first post 5v thing.
                        Has anyone gotten around fixing this problem without going the relay route?

I have an M2-ATX as well. Much like CdR's problem, the remote power on lead has slightly above 12V when not under load. However, when it's connected to the two amps I'm using in parallel, one amp is seeing 6.5V (works) and the other one gets only 4.5V (doesn't work -- stays in protection).
                        When I wire the amps to either the ignition circuit or the PSU's 12V rail, everything works fine.

So, any takers?
                        For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
                        Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
                        Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

Are you sure you've identified the right jumper? The only jumper that should have 5V across it is the power LED jumper. The power switch jumper should have no voltage across it, and the anti-thump jumper should have 12V (or so) across it about 5 seconds after the PC powers up.

If it's the correct jumper, make sure you've got it hooked up to the RMT pin on the amp. If you've accidentally wired it up incorrectly, you could end up trying to power the amp off the anti-thump line and the M2-ATX would likely struggle to do this.
                          System:
                          Jetway J7F2 2GHz C7 Mainboard
                          1GB DDR2-533 RAM
                          120GB Hitachi 2.5" 5400
                          VoomPC case with M2-ATX PSU
                          Buffalo Airstation 54G wireless with ext. antenna
                          CompactFlash Bluetooth.

Comment

So if i understand correctly the amp needs a constant 12v to into RMT to turn on and stay on, i was readin on ATX psu stuff for my carpc and thought about your problem, if you arent using a P4 mobo then you could run use the P4 connector to power your amp its just 2 grounds and 2 +12v lines heres a graphic.

Comment

Originally posted by MaXimaN View Post
                              Are you sure you've identified the right jumper? The only jumper that should have 5V across it is the power LED jumper. The power switch jumper should have no voltage across it, and the anti-thump jumper should have 12V (or so) across it about 5 seconds after the PC powers up.

If it's the correct jumper, make sure you've got it hooked up to the RMT pin on the amp. If you've accidentally wired it up incorrectly, you could end up trying to power the amp off the anti-thump line and the M2-ATX would likely struggle to do this.
                              this is the DC-DC power supply on my new unit. pic

its power switch jumper has voltage (i first misconnect it to mobo and it doesn't work) so need to connect it to "+" to "+" and "-" to "-".
                              My postinghttp://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90051

Comment

Working...
                              X