m4-atx quick question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m4-atx quick question

ive posted this question twice already. and its not showing up in the forums.

im new to mp3car and i dont know if there is a waiting period before what you post is shown but wow its been hours and id really like to get this started and hopefully get some answers/help

so anyways i have a m4-atx power supply.

does it get wired directly to the battery? 12v and ground

do i put an inline fuse on the 12v wire and ignition or just 12v? and what size fuse/value.

can my 1986 trans am v8 stock car battery handle powering the pc? i dont want to instal a separate battery

please help these r simple questions. im new to car pc's

thanks

Originally posted by Bobby_80s View Post
    That's because your first few posts are moderated. It's a spam prevention method. Please don't take it personally.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

thanks

ok thanks for the heads up.

now does anyone have any quick answers to my questions about the m4-atx power supply?

Comment

come on anyone?

come on mp3car.com guys, guru's

this should be easy answers. i jsut want to double check here before i might ruin something in my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby_80s View Post

im new to mp3car and i dont know if there is a waiting period before what you post is shown but wow its been hours and id really like to get this started and hopefully get some answers/help

so anyways i have a m4-atx power supply.

does it get wired directly to the battery? 12v and ground

do i put an inline fuse on the 12v wire and ignition or just 12v? and what size fuse/value.

can my 1986 trans am v8 stock car battery handle powering the pc? i dont want to instal a separate battery

please help these r simple questions. im new to car pc's

thanks
          Just put a fuse on the 12v wire. No need for the ignition. Use 6 gauge or less with 15 amp fuse and you will be fine. That will fuse you up to 12 volts X 15 amps = 180 watts. If you need larger, use 4 gauge wire and a 20 amp fuse for 240 watts.

It's not a question of your battery, it is a question of your alternator. If you aren't running anything completely outrageous and you don't have a trillion watts of amp power in the car, you'll be fine. What is your audio setup?
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

thank you

its stock alternator

i have a basic audio system i upgraded all four speakers but cheap replacements from walmart

same with a cheap 50 dollar cd player to replace the cassette player.

no amp or subwoofer dont want one

im putting in a regular desktop computer in the car, the smaller car made ones i purchased were too slow and coudlnt be upgraded

i need around 250-280 watts according to the indoors powersupply specs

thats why i bought the m4 atx cuz it can handle up to 280 watts(300peak)

so still think i'll be ok?

and directly off the battery is safe correct?

and how do i know if im sucking too much power and need a better alternator?

Comment

any thoughts

any thoughts?

Comment

Parts Store...

Call or go to a parts store and they'll tell you how many amps your alt. is rated for. MY rule is take no more than 20% of that # for ACC. Also know that MY M4 draws power even when off and will kill my battery after 4 or 5 days of not driving.
                Mine is wired direct to the pos term. and grd to frame. 25 amp fuse at the batt.
                If you're wondering about enough power turn on all your gadgets and see if you headlights are dim. That is the easiest way.
                For those who fought FREEDOM has a flavor the PROTECTED will never know. Support our troops.

Comment

kill switch

yea ive heard the stupid thing stll draws power even when off.

i'm going to put a kill switch to ground for teh computer

and flip the switch once the computer and car are off

i don't need to have a dead battery just cuz i dont drive that much for a few days

and i'll ask the parts store thanks

Comment

During my exam period I didn't drive my car for 2 weeks and the car started fine. The M4 is supposed to draw around 0.5mA when in the "Hardoff" state. I.e. All the power rails are off. But putting in a decent inline switch cant hurt! Although I would probably use a relay on the power line to the M4 and a switch to control that relay.
                    Fox Mulder
                    2004 Toyota MR2
                    Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

thanks

ok mulder thank you

i wish i already had this done but i its too cold in connecticut for me to do this now. im hoping i can warm up my garage enough to get it over with and find out that everything works properly

i'll keep you guys posted

i still need to find out if i need to upgrade my alternator or not

Comment

I had and 82 T/A, if you have power windows then you have the largest alternator they put in the 3rd gen F-bodies. I do believe it's rated 85 amp. (I'll be honest, I haven't had the car for 10 years and these numbers are coming from memory.)

Comment

i have a 1986

i have a 1986 trans am v8 tpi with power mirrors and windows.

i one day want to install power driver seat

i also have fog lights

and with my fog lights on i cant remember but i tihnk my headlights dimmed slightly with them on

do alternators just die or slowly go bad?

i think either way i need to replace it/upgrade it(aftermarket???)

but would a 85 amp alt be enough to run a pc computer that needs 280watts

and the rest of my accessories which include:

stock power windows/mirrors
                          fog lights
                          small digital air/ fuel ratio gauge by cyberdyne
                          small digital fuel pressure gauge by cyberdyne
                          not installed yet but will be integrating a digital compass/temp display in upper console

audio setup:
                          pioneer 4x4 front speakers cheap upgrade from walmart
                          rear 6x9 speakers not sure what brand cheap from walmart
                          50 dollar cd player that replaced cassette player

im not big with the numbers but sounds like id be running into power issues with the new pc installed.

i dont have any subwoofers or audio amps in my car and never will

do they make alternators to compensate for extra accessories? they must or this site wouldnt be around for long haha

im a newbie but i know somehow people get huge!!! audio systems in their cars so im thinking theres gota be a relativley easy way to power a pc

any comments?

Comment

do i need ignition wire connected?

jsut curious but can i run the m4-atx without ignition wire connected

just because of so many problems ive read because the firmware is older and im jsut not up to going throguht trouble to buy or make a usb cable which it should come with from the company but whatever

im willing to live with just turning it on myself ill put a power button in my dash for it along with the ground kill switch

its my burden but let me worry about it

i just need a yes or no if i can run my computer with 12v and ground only with a power button

i believe yes i cant see why not but just double checking

Comment

Yup. You will need to set a jumper to put it in "dumb power supply" mode, but ya, you can manualy turn it on and off, no problems.

BTW, just so you know, the power going through the ACC wire just triggers the PSU to power up the PC. It doesnt draw anything. Its not so much power being used in the PC, its your ACC circut (whereever you tap into it) that energizes the ACC lead to the PSU, when that happens the PSU starts to draw on the 12V line. When the ACC circut goes dead (when you shut the car) the PSU sees this and initiates the shutdown procedure. So Im not sure you draw any more power with or without the ACC line connected.

But no problems running the 12V through a switch and shutting that.

The one thing you may find is that when the system hangs, if it hangs for some obscure reason and is still accessing the HD, you might be tempted to just hit the switch on the 12V line to restart. Probably not a major issue but not the best way to reset it. There will very likely be a jumper on the MB labled Reset Swtch or some such. While you are running that wire from the switch on the dash to the computer, you may want to also put a small momentary contact switch (basicaly like a doorbell) connected to the Reset swtch jumpers just to reset the system if you have to.
                              PDP1170/TRS80/Atari800XL/Amiga500/286/486/P2/P4/C2D/i7 still a newb (but an old newb, been doing this a while) working my way up to "Complete Newb"

Comment

Working...
                              X