Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M4-ATX Remote LED?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • M4-ATX Remote LED?

    Guys,

    In the process of upgrading my carputer, new motherboard, cpu, ram using a M4-ATX. I have been reading about the onboard status LED, so my question....

    Is there an option or a way to get the status LED to a remote location? I have my computer power and hard drive LEDs moved to the dash but would like to have the power supply status there also.

    thanks
    wd

  • #2
    This is honestly one thing i think that's missing from ALL automotive power supplies. I never quite understood why you create a diagnostic LED for an item that's 99% of the time buried in a dash or in a case in the trunk.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

    Comment


    • #3
      I know the Opus supplies have a remote LED header, it comes as a jumper switch, you leave pin 1 and 2 jumpered to use the onboard LED, or run a cable from pins 2 and 3 to a remote located LED.

      But yeh, I lost the same thing when I moved from the Opus to my M4.

      Depending on your soldering skills, and whether or not you want to keep the warranty intact, you could snip off the SMD LED on the board, and solder on a header or wires to lead off to an LED mounted elsewhere though.

      Comment


      • #4
        That's was what I was thinking I would have to do if there wasn't one built into the unit.
        And I agree, it sure doesn't make any sense not to have a "remote" LED output, sure would help to know what is going on with the power supply in case of trouble after the install.

        thanks for the input guys !

        wd

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
          This is honestly one thing i think that's missing from ALL automotive power supplies. I never quite understood why you create a diagnostic LED for an item that's 99% of the time buried in a dash or in a case in the trunk.
          As Chester states, the Opus ones do, at least the 250/360 watters. Although they donīt provide the molex connector. And as an almost trade-off they donīt give an extra power on/off header for a momentary switch like the M4 does. Always seemed Ļwtf?Ļ to me.

          Just got done buying/re-wiring a wrecked 05 mustangīs console for the mycolor recessed buttons for the status LED on the opus, and using one of the momentary switches in it for the on/off power-button.


          Originally posted by wrenchdad
          Is there an option or a way to get the status LED to a remote location?
          As Chester again states, no real plug-in method for your M4, but easy enough to run a wired LED elsewhere. Verify with an multimeter on the cathode and anode, but Iīm nearly certain all of these just use the standard 1.8v LEDīs for the status indicators, so the local radio shack will have whatever color and size you want really.
          2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
          Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm thinking about going cheap and building a photosensor that i'll install right over the led, it'll trigger a relay which will trip an external LED. Or hell i could just make connect it to a chime emitter.
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Wayne613 View Post
              Verify with an multimeter on the cathode and anode, but Iīm nearly certain all of these just use the standard 1.8v LEDīs for the status indicators, so the local radio shack will have whatever color and size you want really.
              Quick question, shouldn't I be able to leave the on board LED in place and just parallel the second remote LED ? Just thinking that might be a little easier to solder plus would leave the on board LED for bench testing indication.

              thoughts?

              thanks wd

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wrenchdad View Post
                Quick question, shouldn't I be able to leave the on board LED in place and just parallel the second remote LED ? Just thinking that might be a little easier to solder plus would leave the on board LED for bench testing indication.

                thoughts?

                thanks wd
                Should be fine wiring it in parallel for temporary testing. That extra 20mA flashing with whatever one you go with will add up over time though, so Iīd remove it for the long-haul once your good.
                2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
                Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks !
                  wd

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X