Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ: Installation Guides

Car PC Hacks (O'Reilly)

Most of it you can find here on the forums, but it consolidates a lot of information in one place and so I think it's pretty useful. Here is my Amazon review:

"This book is a very good introduction to installing your own multi-function vehicle PC. Using this guide anyone with reasonable computer and car audio skills should be able to install a working system. It is written at the basic to intermediate level; I have just finished installing my second system and although much of the information was known to me, I still picked up some new and useful tips. People looking for more advanced information and ideas should spend some time at the MP3Car forums. Many of the contributors to this book are prominent members of the carputer community and know their stuff."

Geek My Ride

Haven't read it yet, but it has good reviews at Amazon.

Feel free to share your own reviews of either one!
    IEI PSB-4710, 1.5Ghz P4, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, Lilliput 8" TS, M2-ATX, BU-353,
    Ikey SL75 keyboard, BT Mini Keyboard, WLAN, EVDO, IC-PCR100 (AM/FM/VHF), HQCT, Centrafuse 1.6...

Thanks! Added to the FAQ to the FAQ's.

Anybody read either of these books?
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Any one who has read either of these please PM Bugbyte or I so we can update the FAQ
      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

IMO, CarPC Hacks is nothing more than THIS forum in text form

Motherboard: Epox MATX
        Power: M2-ATX
        Storage: 120gb 3.5"
        Optical: Slim Slot cdrw/dvd
        Audio: SB Audigy 2
        GPS: BU-353 & iGuidance 4
        Frontend: Roadrunner (DFX 3 & 4)

Comment

I've got Car PC Hacks right here. It's a great resource. Although I agree that there's nothing in there that's not on these forums. And there's no SEARCH function in the book.
          But if you're oging to link to it, should we not be kissing some *** and linking it to the MP3car.com store, rather than Amazon?
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I suppose it's the least we can do! Link changed.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Anyone read Geek my ride?

PROGRESS 95%[//////////]Complete - Software configurations
              Current Task: Just adding on...
              Needed:wireless keyboard/mouse
              My Carputer Blog
              Car System Site

Comment

I read Geek My Ride and Car PC Hacks over Christmas. I felt there was much more to be gained from Car PC Hacks.

Comment

I just got it couple of days ago and haven't had the time to read it yet but one think I don't like already is the black and white pictures. I want to see things with their real colors not black and white.

PROGRESS 95%[//////////]Complete - Software configurations
                  Current Task: Just adding on...
                  Needed:wireless keyboard/mouse
                  My Carputer Blog
                  Car System Site

Comment

Geek My Ride

I read Geek My Ride a few months ago. Then one day I started looking back through it to start some research on what equipment to buy and found references to MP3Car.com and some of the vendor sites. I signed up on this forum and now my ride is geeked.

I still refer back to the book occasionally, it does have some good photos throughout and a lot of good information. I will keep it around as a reference, but there is way more information available in this forum and you can for it. I would recommend the book to any newbies, but if you have been around here for a good while, it won't tell you much that you don't already know.

Just my two cents.
                    ~Jimmy

Comment

PC Car Hacks

I was like Jimmy except I got PC car hack saw a refrence to mp3car and off I went should be done with my project soon. It did have some nice refrense material.
                      -=VWDASH=-

Slowly Getting there
                      [++++++++++] 100% Planning
                      [+++++++++-] 90% Purchasing
                      [++++++----] 60% Building

Comment

I read Car PC Hacks just a few days ago, I was at the library and i saw it sitting there in the shelving pile so i borrowed it. Like everyone said everything is pretty much on the forums already... The problem with books (especially books in tech fields) is they get outdated VERY quickly. People come up with new and simpler ways to do things and new hardware is always coming out.

It is pretty much the forums in simple book form. Still a good read.
                        1999 Lexus GS300- (going VIP)
                        1993 Lexus SC300-Turbo (Totaled by idiot driver)
                        1996 Lexus SC400- (Totaled by brother)
                        1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)
                        1994 Toyota Camry- (sold)

Comment

Car PC Hacks

For those who are interested in this book, you can read a few pages at http://books.google.com/books?ie=UTF...Utkj58c8-56mfA

Comment

Working...
                          X