Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAQ POLL: What is the best GPS Receiver?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ POLL: What is the best GPS Receiver?

This thread is similar xBrady's 'best Front-end' thread. It is only going to show the popularity of the various GPS units available. This could be helpful for new members, since a make/model of GPS is popular for a reason....

If there are other GPS units you feel should be added to the list, I can't. The poll is limited to ten entries. However, please choose OTHER and post your setup so newbies can see what options are available!
    BU-303
    8.04%
    BU-353/355
    48.60%
    Holux GR-213
    12.94%
    Holux GR-212
    2.80%
    Royaltek Sapphire
    0.35%
    Garmin unit (post your model!)
    6.29%
    Ublox unit (post your setup!)
    0.70%
    Bluetooth unit (post your model!)
    3.15%
    OEM unit (post your setup!)
    4.20%
    Other (post your setup!)
    12.94%
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

I have a bu-303 that i am quite hapy with, but if I had my time again i would definately get a bluetooth GPS receiver
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

I have a BU-353 and am very happy with it. It's small, accurate, and quick to get a lock.
      How about the Wiki?

Comment

Ditto with Darque

It's water proof too!

or so they say, I haven't tried it out yet.
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I say anything SIRFStar III
          HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

I have the Royaltek Sapphire. I didn't vote for it, because it's not the BEST. But it does work pretty much as advertised although it is prone to electromagnetic interference from the screen or computer itself. You have to place it strategically. When you do, it works just fine.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I vote for the AyAy, as far as price/performance goes.

Comment

1 more for SIRFStar III

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                  I have the Royaltek Sapphire. I didn't vote for it, because it's not the BEST. But it does work pretty much as advertised although it is prove to electromagnetic interference from the screen or computer itself. You have to place it strategically. When you do, it works just fine.
                  Yah. I debated the thread title for this.
                  These polls really don't tell anyone what the best anything is. It's just a popularity contest.
                  However, considering that we all want a quality GPS unit, if a lot of people are using that unit, it certainly can't suck that bad...
                  How about the Wiki?

Comment

I have a deluo in the car and it's decent like many others. I only regret buying it after buying a rikaline for my PocketPC.. If anything I would have bought TWO rikalines (1 for car & 1 for PocketPC as I travel a lot). This is the one I'm talking about (Rikaline 6033):
                    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Don't think there is a best one, but I use the Holux 213 and I'm happy with it. SiRF III, so it locks onto a bazillion satellites (when driving on an open highway it was locked on 10/10, max that the application could tell me).

Comment

While I did not have any experience with any other GPS devices, the one that come in bundle with the Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 software works quite well for me. I've put it in the back of the car under the window (not in the trunk) and so far I've had no problem with it.

Can't really say if it has a name other than "Microsoft" since I'm not next to it, but I'll take a look once I get a chance.
                        How I've put a mini-itx computer with a 7" Xenarc touchscreen without making any holes in my new car!

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79831

Comment

I have one of those yellow earthmate things and its been a lot of trouble. Doesn't lock very well any more. I have just ordered a couple of BU353-s (one for each car) and a CF unit for my girlfriends pocketPC. All from globalsat.

I've head great things here about the BU-353 so I should have better results when they arrive.
                          EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                          Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                          XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Rikaline 6010.
                            Old Systems retired due to new car
                            New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by pip
                              I have one of those yellow earthmate things and its been a lot of trouble. Doesn't lock very well any more. I have just ordered a couple of BU353-s (one for each car) and a CF unit for my girlfriends pocketPC. All from globalsat.

I've head great things here about the BU-353 so I should have better results when they arrive.
                              It is WAY better....testing it in the house with it sitting on the window ledge I get 10 out of a possible 12 satellites locked. Locks 10x faster that the earthmate too, incredible! The cable could be a bit longer though....
                              EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                              Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                              XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Working...
                              X