Hippo HiFi Bloat USB DAC Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hippo HiFi Bloat USB DAC Review

I've tried numerous different sound card solutions throughout my two carPC's now, including a SB Audigy 2 NX, a SB X-Fi PCI, an M-Audio Firewire, the on board sound (two different motherboards), and one other I can't think of right now. So, I have some broad experience on what different sound solutions sound like.

Based on some threads here, I ordered a Bloat, from Hippo HiFi, with all the options, including the upgraded DAC, caps, etc..., as well as RCA outs. I got it yesterday, and while I was going to wait until I had some time, I decided to install it last night, since it is so easy.

Design: It has one USB in on one side, and two RCA outs (left and right) on the other side, so the install is very easy. It requires no drivers, (if you are using Win XP), as Windows automatically detects it as a USB DAC speaker. It is up and running in less than 5 minutes. The whole thing is slightly smaller than a deck of cards.

Sound Quality: Out of all the DACs I have used, this is the best. It is even better than the M-Audio Firewire, which is relatively high quality DAC. I'm sure some of the $1000+ DAC's are better, but for the price, this is great. The sound is fuller, more speration between the channels, overall just better quality. My MP3's, while not FLAC quality, are encoded at 320 kbps CBR, so they are about the best quality MP3's. They sound much, much better with the Bloat than anything else I have heard.

All in all, I would highly recommend this. The website is www.hippohifi.com which seems to be down right now as I type this, but it should be back up at some point.

Dave
    2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
    Core Duo CarPC
    CarDomain page

Thanks for the review!
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Cool thanks! If I wasn't trying to do software processing I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat over a soundcard. Maybe this should go in the review section?
      System always under construction

Comment

are you running this bitperfect or is this still running through the windows k-mixer? if not, are you planning on playing with bit perfect?
        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

I assume it is running thorgh Windows K-Mixer, not sure, though. I don't plan on worrying about bit-perfect, since the MP3s I play are already compressed and not bit perfect (although they are 320 kbps CBR)
          Core Duo CarPC
          CarDomain page

Comment

As a note, I wasn't even thinking about the review section, but maybe it would go better over there. Red, if you want to move it, fine by me, if not, fine as well. Either way it works.
            Core Duo CarPC
            CarDomain page

Comment

this is now in the reviews section
              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Ok, thanks!
                Core Duo CarPC
                CarDomain page

Comment

Design: It has one USB in on one side, and two RCA outs (left and right) on the other side, so the install is very easy.
                  I looked at their site, and nowhere do I see a mention of two RCA outs. Did you have to ask for this specifically? How did you order?

Comment

Yes, you just email via the contact page, and ask for the RCA's on the recent order (reference your order number) $10 extra charge, which he'll send you a bill for.

Dave
                    Core Duo CarPC
                    CarDomain page

Comment

hippo hifi

I also just purchased one myself so here is my 2 cents worth, i also went for the upgrades including the RCA outputs. As mentioned its small and easy to set up.

First thing i noticed is the power output: my last deck was an alpine with (claimed) 4v output i used to run my DLS 1000 RMS watt sub amp at full gain i now have my gain on 50% with the same power of bass being produced.

The output from the bloat is very powerful and the quality is amazing, the sound stage it produces is amazing the stage is very wide and clear with definition and depth at all levels. With the volume anywhere from low to loud the definition of sound quality is truly amazing.

There is absolutely no interference or unwanted sound, only what should be there is present.

Being just a DAC only there is no noticeable resource drain what so ever on the CPU.

I live in Australia myself so the item took less than 1 week from my transfer to receiving it in the post. There was a slight delay due to a manufacturing delay, but i was kept up to date a compensated in price for this.

From day 1 of even considering having a carPC with no head unit i was concerned about sound quality and the bloat has truly exceeded my expectations. The sound quality is FAR better than any CD head deck i have ever owned. The asking price is extremely good value for such a high quality item.

I would recommend this item to anyone, any questions what so ever PM me if you like

Comment

That'd be even cooler if it were firewire.

Comment

I asked. The answer was that firewire is not possible with this design. USB works great, though.
                          Core Duo CarPC
                          CarDomain page

Comment

user HippoHiFi posted in the thread about USB DACs or Audio over Firewire v. USB thread and explained why Firewire wasn't used iirc.
                            Jan Bennett
                            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                            X