Open Source Turn by Turn iPhone App using Open Street Maps - Navit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Source Turn by Turn iPhone App using Open Street Maps - Navit

Navit is an open source turn by turn directions app using the free Open Street Maps.

It is important to note that both the app and the routing engine, along with the map data are all Open Source!

The app is in beta still and can be downloaded using Cydia.
    Add this source http://szndvc.dyndns.org/cydia/
    and then search for "navit"

You need a planet.bin file of the Open street maps data. You can use this http://maps.navit-project.org/planet.bin but they have a tool that lets you select a portion of the map to download.
    http://maps.navit-project.org/download/
    That file will go on your iPhone at var/mobile/Media/Maps/planet.bin

I tried this but got a hash sum mismatch error on install. Any ideas?
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

at what point during the install did you get that error?

Comment

After completing the download, prior to beginning the install. Some googling indicates that it could just be that the server is very busy.

I tried ICY but after adding the repository couldn't find the navit program.

[Edit] Managed to download it! Working now.
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:

Comment

I just gave this app a try.... wow, it is definitely not user friendly! Give xGps a try... seems much better than this one. It does turn by turn with voice prompts as well.
          Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
            After completing the download, prior to beginning the install. Some googling indicates that it could just be that the server is very busy.

I tried ICY but after adding the repository couldn't find the navit program.

[Edit] Managed to download it! Working now.
            Glad its working!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
              I just gave this app a try.... wow, it is definitely not user friendly! Give xGps a try... seems much better than this one. It does turn by turn with voice prompts as well.
              you're right except this is legit and will show up on the app store at some point. xGPS will never be allowed because it uses google maps (which google frowns upon)

This has potential for greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
                Agreed, not as user friendly as xGPS, but it does do a nice 3D rendering of the map. Reminded me of the TomTom when I loaded it!

This whole 'pay for mapping' thing has got to get worked out. I understand that the mapping companies add value by improving the data and making it routable and so forth, but the technology and the user base is out there now to allow a free, open, and likely better solution to this problem.

At any rate, a viable open source map and data will force a reduction in price for maps by the likes of Telenav.
                Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                  This whole 'pay for mapping' thing has got to get worked out. I understand that the mapping companies add value by improving the data and making it routable and so forth, but the technology and the user base is out there now to allow a free, open, and likely better solution to this problem.
                  We're working on it! In some areas the OpenStreetMap data is good enough to do routing right now. In other areas it needs improvement, but we have tools to do the improving. You can look at the map at http://openstreetmap.org and there's tons of information about the project at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org.

We're going to have a combined mp3Car / OpenStreetMap gathering in Baltimore in late August. Date still TBD.

Comment

Cydia's source is now hosted on navit : http://download.navit-project.org/navit/iphone/cydia/ with better bandwidth and server.

About user's friendlyness, feel free to report your suggestions : http://trac.navit-project.org/

Navit is meant to be fully customizable, hence it's probably a bit less easy to learn.

XGPS has two drawbacks according to me :
                    - it needs data connection. Sometimes you are in a poorly covered area, or abroad and your data plan might not be available and you might not be able to compute a route
                    - maps aren't rotated, which isn't convenient.

NavIt. The Open Source vector based Navigation software with routing engine.

My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee carputer project.

Comment

I like idea Navit ported to iPhone, and want to try Navit using our Garmin customs maps as i used to be an active member map developers here http://navigasi.net/goptd.php.
                      I am waiting my wife coming home from Hongkong with iPhone 3G on hand few days more,meanwhile trying to use my daughter's iPod Touch.
                      So anyone could lead me how to install custom Garmin maps format on iPhone would be much appreciated beforehand? can we use libGarmin for it.

I found this alternative too that hopefully is a trully native iPhone App
                      http://sygic.com/press/press_12.3.09.html,as Teleatlas maps for Sygic is also available for our regions.

Next future plan trying to theter iPHone to my new CarpC that never get installed in car yet.

TIA

Steve

Comment

I wonder if you can use any maps with navit. As far as I know you can only use open street maps. If you get it working with garmin customs please post your findings as that would be awesome.

Comment

So we are on the same boat then

Comment

So....does someone want to let me in on the secret of how to actually use Navit on iPhone to generate a route?

I had a chance to play with it in the car today and could not for the life of me figure out how to actually use it to navigate to a location! I'd looked for documentation online, tried all of the buttons and settings, but to no avail.

I've managed to use it for simply tracking my position, but it isn't really working for anything beyond that.
                            Want to:

Comment

Working...
                            X