WPF (Avalon)....wow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WPF (Avalon)....wow

Well... I had always planned on coming up with my own skin for Centrafuse but until recently I hadn't bothered trying, but all I can say is wow. Wow, that's a lot of work to do. I understand that perhaps this is how most applications on skinned, but it's terribly a lot of work.

Maybe it's because I have recently done work with WPF (Windows Presentation Framework, Avalon), but I definitely think that is the way to do a UI. I had originally been working on a front end that allowed full extensibility of the UI (both in skinning, and programmatic functionality), and after seeing what skinning is currently available I think I might have to consider going back to it. I love the functionality of Centrafuse but it seems to be fairly limited in extensibility; not only in the skinning, but I've found (written on other threads) that some aspects of the plugin model are lacking.

I understand that a lot of people don't want to use something like WPF for a frontend due to the CPU usage required (although it does have a lot of hardware graphic acceleration), but as for what the UI could provide I think it should be considered.

I'd strongly recommend considering a WPF styled frontend option in the future; allow a basic static skinning system (current system) for people that don't have the hardware, but provide a WPF (or something similar) option for those that want it. With that people could add their own modules ontop of centrafuse, allow a dynamic skin (where you only have to style a single button with colours, etc, and yet they all get automatically styled) that could smoothly integrate with their modules, and allow some really cool graphics (smooth menu transitions, commanding, etc).
Working...
X