X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabotaging Centrafuse Users!

Hi

I am deeply disappointed with Centrafuse for pairing up with PhoneControl.Net.
    I had centrafuse minimized while doing some of my own application development testing and had set the system date a year forward.

After setting the system date back to the current year, phone control.net invalidates itself!

Here's the error message
    A valid license could not be obtained for PhoneControl. Please contact Zoran Horvat for assistance.

DETAILS:

No licenses found in c:\program files\flux media\centrafuse\phonecontrol.net\.

No licenses found in c:\windows\assembly\gac\xheo.licensing\2.1.5000.0_ _798276055709c98a\.

Could not validate (or skipped) C:\Program Files\Flux Media\Centrafuse\PhoneControl.NET\PhoneCtl.NET.exe .licenses.9981B4D3 (#EECI6-AXSUZ-GORIY-BHUR4) - The clock has been rolled back.

I've already posted on PhoneControl's forum and the fix is to reformat/reinstall windows!!

So guys, if you do not have centrafuse and your friend is bragging how beautiful and wonderful it is, just set his carputer's date a year ahead. That will shut him up permanently!

Very disappointed in PhoneControl.Net and Centrafuse for pairing up with them

Fact of the matter is, the vast majority of users aren't going to need to set their dates ahead.

Just because PhoCo has piracy-prevention measures in place that bit you in the *** because you decide to do some testing does NOT make it a ****ty piece of software.

What on earth were you testing that you needed to have the date set a year forward anyway?
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

a very daft post, by any measure
      Current:
      [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
      [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Originally posted by sama View Post
        a very daft post, by any measure
        That's putting it mildly.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

So guys, if you do not have centrafuse and your friend is bragging how beautiful and wonderful it is, just set his carputer's date a year ahead. That will shut him up permanently!
          Any of my mates touch my carputer to do any date adjustments, they might find themselves without fingers

I am just wondering why you needed to set your date ahead by 1 year, something smells fishy here.

Very fishy.......
          F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

Fishy. Not really as i can think of many reasons as to why setting the date ahead can come about. One could be working on Application development, testing job scheduling, software expiration validation, the recent Day Light Savings change verification, etc, etc. In any event, Centrafuse/PhoneControl, should run on our machines without crippling our laptop/PC's functionality.

Not all of us have a dedicated car computers but supplement our regular laptops as car computers as well.

In any case, I am not saying that centrafuse is a lousy software but for any software that is not able to identify the date it was installed and do the maths from there and in this case, PhoneControl inability to have such checks but instead, cripples itself, in my opinion, it is a design flaw and not a "feature".
            Sorry for the rant but coming from the IT industry, I get annoyed when expensive softwares are poorly coded, resulting to one having to reinstall his windows.

My post was more of a sarcasm and a rant as I was hoping the developers would speed up coming up with a solution to this problem as it is in my opinion, this is a vulnerability and not a feature.

Comment

There are many programs out there which will invalidate the license when setting the date forward. Some programs even state that setting the date forward will void the license. This is done because many of the shady activities out there related to licensing use date manipulation. Moral of the story is, if you are a legitimate user you have no reason to set the date forward. If anything, a machine hard reset sets the date back, and the licensing is ok with that.
              Nick - 08 GG Element
              Custom 3D-CAD Design, Reverse Engineering and Fabrication

Comment

And for those of you who assumed that I was trying to circumvent the centrafuse registration, please, do try changing the the year on your fully bought and paid for Centrafuse software with phonecontrol running (as I have), it *will* invalidate itself.

Had I known in advance this would have happened, I would have shutdown centrafuse, done my application testing and then set the date back before starting it up again, instead of letting it play my tunes (minimized in the background), not thinking that it would have any impact

I guess a warning would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by ik632 View Post
                  If anything, a machine hard reset sets the date back, and the licensing is ok with that.
                  Not really, try that with your registered version

Comment

wow - I agree with sama and darque and a number of other posters on this one...
                    Jan Bennett
                    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Sorry guys I don't understand why is this a daft post. I was treating A(centrafuse) like an mp3 player, letting it run in the background, working on B (my own piece of software) when A came about and bit me up the ***.

Am I wrong to get upset?

Comment

Wrong to get upset?, No. However as a tech guy you shouldn't have been all that surprised that playing with dates might have adverse effects on time sensitive software.

The whole must reinstall the operating system to fix the problem part is a tad ridiculous though, and I'm sure there is another unsupported way to fix things.
                        98' Honda CR-V
                        http://www.superbluecrv.com

*OBDMPG, the RR OBD Plugin*

Comment

True, I would have shutdown centafuse had I know about such "features". So maybe a warning (in big bold letters) is not too much to ask for. Anyone care to point me in the direction of where I can find such a warning.

As to finding a workaround (if it does exist) would take even longer then a complete rebuild.

Now my machine's time gotta be set in the future, every time i launch centrafuse for it to work properly (until I find the time to rebuild)

Comment

well, you could ask david to show up a dialog that says "do not set the date forward when you're running CF in the background to avoid problems" everytime you run centrafuse, but i really don't think david is gonna do that just because one guy has a problem with it...

now you all be warned, playing with the date can result in problems...

ps: if it's phoco giving the prob, maybe go get mad on the phoco guys instead of CF

Greetz

Dj NRG

Comment

Originally posted by bullfrog View Post
                              Am I wrong to get upset?
                              Yes, you could have mentioned it as an issue or "feature request" like everyone else, instead of going off about how everything is crappy just because of this single one problem, which apparently never was a problem for anyone else :-)
                              /SOS/
                              XP Pro, CF 2.0-newest| Pioneer HU with 7" flip-out (EQ, Surround)
                              Epia V10000 + nVidia FX5200, Opus 150w, 7" Lilliput, DVD* SlotIn, Wavelan, Bluetooth, GPS, WebCams, DVB-T

Comment

Working...
                              X