X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this USB Radio Work?

David, I want to know if this

http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00136

usb radio will work with Centrafuse. Thanks..

Regards,
    AG

okay, THAT's interesting!

I wish they'd publish sensitivity numbers for the tuner... Considering what the known-good alternatives cost, I dunno how much I trust this.

I've bought a couple of things from Brando and haven't been impressed with the quality. I know they're just distributors so I don't hold them "responsible" but I think it's an indicator of the types of things they carry.

"Buyer beware" and all that.
    :: Mark

Comment

but I just wanted to know if this will work with Centrafuse. Can anybody confirm this? I think its worth buying if this thing is compatible.

Comment

by the way, what's the requirement of Centrafuse to work with a FM tuner? FM specifications, SDK or what?

Comment

fwiw, I found more info on the manufacturer's site:

http://www.datacoach.com.cn/product_...84&genre_id=24

I'll take a somewhat educated guess and say that it is _NOT_ directly compatible with CF's radio module. That module is pretty tight with the protocol on the HQCT radio module and there'll be little hope that this module would choose to emulate that protocol.

Technically you "should" be able to get the radio's software to sit within CF, but from the pic, those buttons look pretty small. I'm sure that app isn't meant to be full-screen, so by the time you get it skinned into CF it's gonna be tiny.

Now, as a fun aside, it looks like the config UI will let you set up for Japanese freqs even if you're not in Japan. That's fun 'cause in the US, there's stuff down below the bottom of the FM radio band.

ref: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=663714

Comment

any radio with an SDK can have a Centrafuse radio module created...

david

Comment

The software for this tuner looks identical to the Silabs module software. Even the settings looks exactly the same. Perhaps this radio is built on the silabs receiver?

$10 says that this is just the silabs module with a pretty new case and a proper aerial...

P.S. If someone does buy this Brando receiver, try using the software from the silabs website, not the brando software and see if it works.
              I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

Okay... I bit.

I'm having it delivered to work... I'll let you know when I get it. Past history with Brando is about 10-14 days.

For reference, NiSlo is referring to:

http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/publ...USBFMRadio.htm

Comment

I have also ordered it. Will get it within 2 weeks. I will update once I get the unit. I hope its compatible with Centrafuse.

Comment

Ordered here...
                    DigitalFX4.0 Skin by JohnWPB

Road Runner RR's Myspace

My Ride - Car Domain Page -JWLionKing's MySpace Page

Project 98% Complete -FREE DOMAIN & WEBSPACE / FILE HOST FOR DEVELOPERS - PM ME

Comment

Got mine! 9 days from the UK to the west coast of the US.

Plugged it in, did NOT load the driver/app disc that came with it, and instead loaded the Silabs app (ref: http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/publ...USBFMRadio.htm).

It fired right up and I'm listening to FM on my work PC.

I loaded up CF, set the Radio plugin for Silabs, and... it works. Scan, tune, etc. all fine. Control is more sluggish than the Silabs app, but it _does_ work.

I'm VERY surprised. I take back my doubting statements.

NICE find Aghazi!

Comment

Originally posted by midiwall View Post
                        Got mine! 9 days from the UK to the west coast of the US.

Plugged it in, did NOT load the driver/app disc that came with it, and instead loaded the Silabs app (ref: http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/publ...USBFMRadio.htm).

It fired right up and I'm listening to FM on my work PC.

I loaded up CF, set the Radio plugin for Silabs, and... it works. Scan, tune, etc. All fine. Control is more sluggish than the Silabs app, but it _does_ work.

I'm VERY surprised. I take back my doubting statements.

NICE find Aghazi!
                        G.R.E.A.T !!!!
                        where is mine? Looks like I have to wait few more days.

midiwall, how's the reception? I am planning to rig its built-in antenna with car's external one.

Comment

Originally posted by aghazi View Post
                          G.R.E.A.T !!!!
                          where is mine? Looks like I have to wait few more days.

midiwall, how's the reception? I am planning to rig its built-in antenna with car's external one.
                          I'm still at my desk, on my work PC, which is in a cubical about 20 feet from the nearest window. That said, I can pick up the local FM stations that I'd care about with the antenna set 90* from the case, but fully retracted. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

I'm expecting that the car will be "fine" with the attached antenna, but my mounting point will be pretty close to the outside world:
                          I may hack it into the main antenna, it would certainly help of course. I'll have to see how it goes!

Comment

So far it looks like a perfect FM unit for carpc. Can't wait to get hold on mine!

Did you order it from Brando?

Comment

Originally posted by aghazi View Post
                              Did you order it from Brando?
                              Yeah I did. From the messages above it looks like we ordered on the same day. You should be getting yours soon - Pakistan is closer to the UK than the western US, but you may have some additional import issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X