Best FM radio hardware results?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best FM radio hardware results?

Can anyone give testimonials on what radio hardware gives the best results? Of course my main concern in reception quality. I saw in another sub-forum where someone was using the ADS Instant FM stick and soldered their car's antenna connection into the ADS connection and they claimed great results with it. I'm wondering if anyone has achieved good results without having to do any mods like that.
    My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Mine is still on the floor of my office, but I have the Directed HD radio controlled by the serial cable and it gets very good reception.

If you can justify the cost, I think an external box like this is going to give you the best reception and quality. Mine cost about $75 combined ($50 for tuner and $25 for cable).

Comment

$75 would definitely be worth it to me for good reception and HD radio.

Can you give me a link to the box and cable? A quick google search only turned up full $200 systems from retailers like Crutchfield and the like.

Thanks!

Comment

Here is a link to the cable

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/user...les-ready.html

The cable will work with 2 units. I got the Directed DMHD1000 off ebay for $50 shipped. I have seen them go cheaper, but it wasn't bad.

EDIT: I didn't realize I was posting in the Centrafuse section. The cable Mitch offers has native support for RR, but not sure about Centrafuse. You might contact Centrafuse and/or Mitch to see if they work together.

Comment

Thanks stroths. So my other question then is what do you select in Centrafuse's settings for the radio hardware device? The Directed unit is not in the list as a choice.

Comment

hey stroths it's cool to see you posting here, just wanted to say welcome from another ppcgeeks member!

Comment

Originally posted by daclothe View Post
              hey stroths it's cool to see you posting here, just wanted to say welcome from another ppcgeeks member!
              Strangely enough, a ppcgeeks posting got my interest peaked in building a carpc. I was researching a bluetooth question someone asked and decided to build my own. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Originally posted by stroths View Post
                Here is a link to the cable

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/user...les-ready.html

The cable will work with 2 units. I got the Directed DMHD1000 off ebay for $50 shipped. I have seen them go cheaper, but it wasn't bad.

EDIT: I didn't realize I was posting in the Centrafuse section. The cable Mitch offers has native support for RR, but not sure about Centrafuse. You might contact Centrafuse and/or Mitch to see if they work together.
                This sounds nice if it works natively with Centrafuse.
                02' JETTA 1.8T | WORKLOG ALBUM

Comment

There's no choice for it in CF's settings, so I can't see how it would. Since Stroths has it sitting on the floor in his office, it looks like he hasn't gotten that far yet.

Comment

I took a look at the manufacturer's site, and I think I know what the answer is, but can these HD radios also pick up the analog FM signal? If so, perhaps there is RDS support?

Comment

Originally posted by opticalc View Post
                      I took a look at the manufacturer's site, and I think I know what the answer is, but can these HD radios also pick up the analog FM signal? If so, perhaps there is RDS support?
                      They pick up HD and standard AM/FM. It also has RDS support (or at least my unit does).

I have mine hooked up with RoadRunner and it works fine. I don't have it in my car, but I have power and a makeshift antenna working in my office until I transfer it over.

If Centrafuse wanted to, I don't see why they couldn't get Mitch's cable working. If you look at the desciption of the cable it lists, "FREE Developer .NET/Com Object Control Class. (Available in the Developer forum.)".

Comment

Originally posted by stroths View Post
                        Mine is still on the floor of my office, but I have the Directed HD radio controlled by the serial cable and it gets very good reception.

If you can justify the cost, I think an external box like this is going to give you the best reception and quality. Mine cost about $75 combined ($50 for tuner and $25 for cable).
                        That cost doesnt seem too bad considering the HQCT is $150, and it doesnt support HDRdaio. Why is the HQCT so expensive compared to the Directed DMHD1000? Is it just because the HQCT is so much more compact?

Comment

Nope, supply and demand.

Right now there is a very large supply of HD tuners available. The HQCT is somewhat scarce. I own the Visteon unit and Its by far the best AM/FM tuner available for PC's. (I've also owned a HQCT) Its actually a stand alone tuner with its own faceplate, mitch's cable lets you ditch the faceplate for PC control. Anyway the sound quality blows my OEM headunit away.

I was curious myself if Centrafuse supported HD radio yet, hence stumbling on this thread, but it looks nill at the moment.

It should be possible though since mitch's DLL is available. I know RR uses a high level DLL written by Guino to talk to Mitch's Low level DLL which in turn talks to the tuner. Centrafuse would need its own high level DLL to bridge the gap between the program and mitch's DLL.
                          Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

Is anyone working on the HD Radio support in Centrafuse? Getting my hardware this week.
                            2003 Black Impala

Comment

That would be awesome to see HD radio with CF. Especially since the cable/Directed Tuner are a cost effective solution.

edit: Just found this: http://76.27.122.50/index.htm HD RadioPC, could this be integrated with CF? Or pop up as an external plugin maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X