Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Red(Jan)............

Red,

Would you mind listing a few reasons why you switched form streetdeck to CF? Was it the growing concern about support for SD? Or does CF offer a beter media engine for you competion goals? Etc, etc.................

Also, Why CF as opposed to RR?

I'm not looking to get into a debate over why one is better than the other, but I've been considering purchasing CF lately and am looking for a littel comparo between the available front ends. Seeing how you have experience with all threse, I thought you could give an insightful reveiw of what you've seen so far.

I'm currently using RR myself........
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

I know one reason is that CF uses WinAmp as the media engine, which allows her to use her SQ plug-ins for competitions.
    SD is based on Windows Media Player, which doesn't have that ability.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I was under the impression CF used it's own proprietary media engine, but I've never looked too deeply into it...........
      For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
      Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

we use no 3rd party applications for playback, we use DirectX

david

Comment

well, without turning this into a thread that could go a million different ways...lol

the audio was probably 90% of it for me.

while working at mp3car, i was tasked with the job of comparing the two for the purpose of considering centrafuse for the store to carry. i tried to do this as objectively as possible...because let's face it...it would be kinda strange to go at something like that any other way.

i found that i personally just liked the way centrafuse worked...and worked all the time.

as for road runner...i haven't messed with it in a while. i was going to do a review/comparo of it as well, i just never got around to it.

i'm not going to say that one fe is better than the other...because let's face it...oponions are like....well, you know...

it's the same reason that we as consumers have choices...because if one item is simply the best for everyone, all of the other options wouldn't exist..right?

i switched about 8 months back because centrafuse just worked and it just fit my needs. simple as that!

hope that helps answer some questions!
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Greatwhite, let me be less diplomatic, less objective, and more of an immature, biased [email protected]: CF IS the best F/E, period, the end, and that's why Jan came to the "other side."

Ok I'm totally kidding, I'm not like that all... anyway, to keep it short and sweet for you, I have used SD, CF and RR. I will admit though that the time I've spent with RR is significantly less than the other two. I ran RR consistently for less than a month and certainly have not even scratched the surface of all the skins and plugs available for it, so I cannot fairly compare it to the other two.

But SD and CF... I think Jan nailed it when she said that CF just works. It just works. GOD that's all I ever wanted during my near year-of-hell as a Streetdeck user (it definitely wasn't all bad, but the fact that it used WMP never sat easy with me!) And then when I started to hear the rumors of what was going down in Streetdeck-land, I knew that support and updates (lack thereof) was going to get to where it is today, so I jumped ship fast and headed for the CF hills. I used CF way back in the day (meaning like 2006 ) in it's pre-1.0 days, and it was decent back then. But, I was really impressed by SD's gesturing and found it very useful for my purposes, so I went over there. Now CF has gesturing, and SO much more too. It has come a long way, and I really commend the Flux team for a near-stellar product. They have a phone solution too that hasn't been "coming soon" for 2 years, and HD Radio support that hasn't been caught up in "certification" limbo for months. You can download CF right now and have both! (assuming you have the hardware of course )

So of course I'm biased... but I have used all 3 of the main ones. CF is extremely stable and when 2.0 comes out of beta, I think there will be no question what the most popular commercial F/E will be.
            My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Comment

So I realize the name of the thread is "Question for Red"

Sorry about that.
              My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Nola111 View Post
                So I realize the name of the thread is "Question for Red"

Sorry about that.
                No worries, I just sair for Red because I knew she was using CF now.

All opinions welcome here!

Cheers
                Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Quick ot jump in (so slap my wrist later). Hey Nola, Im still using 1.46. Is RC 2 squared away enough that I shouldnt wait and just grab it now?

And btw, CF was the only one that worked the first time I just downloaded it and installed it back before I got my car pc (RR did work, but not all the features). I bought the cf xle version when I got the carpc and except for the phone it's working great from day one.
                  PDP1170/TRS80/Atari800XL/Amiga500/286/486/P2/P4/C2D/i7 still a newb (but an old newb, been doing this a while) working my way up to "Complete Newb"

Comment

Originally posted by Jistari View Post
                    Quick ot jump in (so slap my wrist later). Hey Nola, Im still using 1.46. Is RC 2 squared away enough that I shouldnt wait and just grab it now?

And btw, CF was the only one that worked the first time I just downloaded it and installed it back before I got my car pc (RR did work, but not all the features). I bought the cf xle version when I got the carpc and except for the phone it's working great from day one.
                    try RC3, we just posted it... about to update the thread here...

david

Comment

hey guys - this is still me - just with a different account just for support.

Figured it would help keep things sane around here...

Just an FYI!
                      Jan Bennett
                      Centrafuse Support

Comment

Working...
                      X