No announcement yet.

Address Plugin

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Address Plugin

Does anyone know how a plugin could be developed that would pass either address, or lat / long to the nav component of this frontend. The plugin would be part winsock based, in that i have a server like software running which monitors the fire brigade pager system, which i am a part of. And when it detects the prefix for my brigade, and that it is a call, it will geocode the address, and pass it all through in xml format to any connected clients.

What i would like to do, is have it so that when my carputer (laptop) is connected to the network, and gets the broadcast message, i would like the plugin to either take the address, or geocoded lat / long passed from the server, and put it into nav and start nav. So when i get into the car its ready to go, with the route planned, etc...

This is specific to centrifuse this post, nor RR. In addition this is a concept system and secondary, so i am aware that the frontends are not always stable, and this would not be used as a primary system. I have my own pager and melways for that, but it would be great to get it working so the address could be passed through to nav, and nav started. And for others this might be useful in passing across addresses for peoples appointment in outlook calander etc.

CF plugins are written in .net.

You would need to get the SDK then adapt one of the examples (hello world probably).

the commands to send a destination to the nav engine are

1. if you have GPS coords

Me.CF_setGPSRoute(Lat, Lon)

2. if you have an address

Me.CF_setGPSRoute(County, HouseNumber, Street, ZipCode)

NB this will only work if you are using the Destinator navigation engine.

do you have a free geocoding source that is reliable enough to do this? I tried doing reverse geocoding with my movietimes plugin and the free data sources werent accurate enough to find a movie theater, let alone an emergency situation. Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

It's for pager messages that he receives from volunteer fire department broadcasts. Presumably, they put an accurate lat/lon in there.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

The dont actually. The messages normally include addresses, and nearest cross street. So i may look at geocoding both, to get one that works. Most of the time google geocoding seams to do the trick, so i will have a play.

It more for concept and experiment, so whilst it would be great to work all the time, i still have my own melways and maps i can revert to .

Most of the time, at least in the areas i would respond to, it seams to be able to get lat / long from address quite well, and i reverse geocode and it confirms the initial address