Centrafuse on Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centrafuse on Linux

Centrafuse likes Ubuntu...who'd a thought!

WinCE 5.0 and 6.0 too, although I don't have a screen shot yet. Looking for a 2011 Q1 release to the public.

Who knows, maybe we're actually in the early days of carPCs "golden age". A nice variety of products that run on a broad range of platforms. Looks like fun to me!

VegasGuy

Linux? Okay. What about Android, would that be a completely different thing or it can be done (from the Linux version)?
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
      Linux? Okay. What about Android, would that be a completely different thing or it can be done (from the Linux version)?
      Completely different. Like OM, Centrafuse requires the Mono framework to run on Linux, something that Android doesn't support (Yet? Ever?). But I've seen some nice progress on the Android remote control for Centrafuse, so there is that.

VegasGuy

Comment

http://monodroid.net/
        openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
        - Always Recruiting Developers -
        Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

was just gonna say.. as far as i know, mono hit android a while back

that could be fun to play with just because! ha hah a
          ---------
          I'll do the bumbling, and i'll be the idiot.
          if you've got a "stupid" question, search for some of mine!

Comment

Yup:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.png
Views:	1
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	2279835
            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Heh. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                Yup:
                [ATTACH]60566[/ATTACH]
                Just as believable too

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                  Just as believable too
                  Thanks for the pointer to monodroid. I'm a little curious about your comment. What, precisely, are you trying to say?

VegasGuy

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
                    Thanks for the pointer to monodroid. I'm a little curious about your comment. What, precisely, are you trying to say?

VegasGuy
                    That a screenshot says nothing about the completeness, stability or functionality of an application. I wont even mention how often commercial applications run into problems moving to Linux because they fail to understand that open source software is still copyright.

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                      That a screenshot says nothing about the completeness, stability or functionality of an application. I wont even mention how often commercial applications run into problems moving to Linux because they fail to understand that open source software is still copyright.
                      Absolutely, and I certainly wouldn't want to imply that Centrafuse on Linux is ready for public release. It is, in fact, in an early Alpha stage (at best). But Centrafuse is hoping to add a full-time Linux developer to staff early in 2011 (part-time right now), so I suspect that their commitment to the project is fairly significant. The CE version will almost certainly be available for public release in Q1 as it has been around for more than a year and is significantly more mature in it's development.

As for the legal aspects of running on Linux, I don't suppose that CF would be any different than any other commercial product that runs on the Linux OS. I guess that's what CF pays its lawyers for....to sort out the gory details.

VegasGuy

Comment

I think Linux still is a driver nightmare...You'd have to buy the hardware first (after lots of research), stick to old but good, not the latest GPS 10Hz BT dongle, or multi array mic, or iP4 BT connection and what not...CF has a lot of problems with "BT phone compatibility" now, I wonder if that's not only going to be a support nightmare...

Or maybe Linux can use Win7 64 drivers now and I'm clueless (no surprise there).

But if I'm part right, I think CF team should erase that and start porting it to Android, to use on those huge 4.3" and the 7" and 10" tablets. THAT would be awesome.

Comment

I think Linux still is a driver nightmare...You'd have to buy the hardware first (after lots of research), stick to old but good, not the latest GPS 10Hz BT dongle, or multi array mic, or iP4 BT connection and what not...CF has a lot of problems with "BT phone compatibility" now, I wonder if that's not only going to be a support nightmare...

Or maybe Linux can use Win7 64 drivers now and I'm clueless (no surprise there).

But if I'm part right, I think CF team should erase that and start porting it to Android, to use on those huge 4.3" and the 7" and 10" tablets. THAT would be awesome.
                          Don't be a tool and spread 10 year old FUD.

Linux has an arguably better bluetooth stack. It's also been a long time that I had a piece of hardware that didn't "just work" in any of the popular Linux distros (ie, ubuntu). I have a 5Hz BT GPS receiver that just works. I've never had to "research" devices before I buy them.

CF support in Linux is actually really good news. Porting isn't going to be easy. Justchat_t, have you submitted your resume to flux for their Linux job? They need a .NET guy with Linux/cross-platform experience. Maybe you could make CF not the be The Slow anymore.
                          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                            Don't be a tool and spread 10 year old FUD.
                            No respect like true fanboy, . Last time I checked installing Linux only in a laptop can be to say the least difficult if you don't research (don't expect a smooth experience like just dropping a cd or something then downloading drivers), and on a tablet PC/convertible (with support for digitizers, buttons, fingerprint sensor and what not) is a nightmare. Hand writing recognition? Multitouch, pinch to zoom an all that? Humm. Okay, again, maybe it does all that too, I don't know. I'm skeptical. Tablet PC users everywhere don't know what they're missing...

Linux has an arguably better bluetooth stack.
                            Cf has lots of problems already getting rid of echo, sync contacts and what not, if Linux will help it make it better at that...I'll believe it when I see it, sorry.

Comment

I get the feeling that this is going down the wrong path with centrafuse.

Its already bloated enough on windows, why not take the extra position they want to fill, and add another windows developer, and work on both more regular releases, and more regular bugfixes.

Its like the old saying, Jack of all trades, master of none. By trying to spread their software across to linux via mono, they are having to spread their development focus.

Can anyone honestly say that Centrafuse will get more people to help field support for this extra area they are branching into? It's hard enough to get any kind of help from them currently, support is purely horrendous, its mostly thrown off to the user moderators (like Vegasguy or Mr Bean), or the third party plugin developers.

Think about how bad it would become with also having to support mono issues on top of this.

Comment

Working...
                              X