This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to centrafuse ?

As a long suffering user/tester of Centrafuse the rumblings I'm hearing about 3.5 don't sound great

I'm a bit out of the scene regarding other Frontends so am looking for any recomendations from you guys so as I can start preliminary testing

bits that are important to me:
    decent media playback and categories
    app embedding - ie I use navmii and memory map
    phone/Bluetooth
    keyboard or api suppor. To utilise a 3dnavigator/k8055 input board

cheers

ids

i am actually curious about this as well. centrafuse is really starting to suck.

Comment

i would think it would get the best response considering most of the people who look at this sub forum have used centrafuse and now more about both the pro's and con's of the system. no?

Comment

Well not really.

For one this forum is pretty quiet seeing as CF have their own forum now.

Which means most CF users don't visit this one now, let alone users of other FE's who could probably recommend a different FE.

Comment

There didn't seem a better place to ask . Based on your suggestion I should ask it on the Flux Forums then ?

Come on. Is RoadRunner you FE of choice?

Ids

Comment

I tried RR and OM before I tried CF, but I didn't really care for either of them. I say you just check out the other front end subforums here, read about the problems they have, then pick a few and test them for yourself.
            1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

IMO, you posted in exactly the right place.

I am curious though about your statement ".........the rumblings I'm hearing about 3.5 don't sound great"

This sounds like a lot of speculation from disgruntled users, especially ones that are so po'd that it's late. Do you have any facts on this or is it conjecture at this point?

"Rumblings" often don't reflect facts so I am just asking.
              My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

I personally went back to using RR in my system because i didnt feel any of the improvements being made to CF had anything to do with me as a user. The items that really need improvement and the items which i decided to beta test for arent really high priorities anymore.

That being said, RR can do all of the things you need it to, albeit with some additional configuration work. The VERY first thing you need to do when deciding to switch is find a skin that you like and is complete. Dont get a skin with the idea that you'll add on over time because the add on work could very well burn you out.
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Ride Runner all the way for me. I tried Centrafuse, to boring. And tried others, but none of them did it for me. I will be putting together another Carpc #6 this summer and this will be running RR/DFX also. (Just my opinion as a user) But hey, thats just me. Will see what CF 3.5 holds. It might be the greatest front end ever, or a flop. I don't have my crystal ball out of the shop yet so.........

Comment

I put together 2 identical CarPCs, one for me, one for a friend of mine. I installed RR on both units, tested them, and shipped him his unit. He always had questions about this/that/the other, and I ended up being long-distance tech support for him, which I did *not* want. I put Centrafuse on his unit, configured it, and he's happy. I'm a bit more tech-savvy than he, so something plug and play works best for people like that, whereas if you like to get your hands a little dirty, RR is pretty spiffy.

Comment

@whats77inaname: I think that reflects the market pretty well. If you like to "roll your own", then RR offers a LOT of flexibility. OM offers a more stuctured environment while maintaining it's "open source" cred. Centrafuse has always been targeted more to casual users than the die-hard "hacker". Each brings different advantages and limitations to the table. The other thing to consider is that once a carPC project reaches a certain point, matures if you will, many users want to expand into more esoteric realms....Audiophile sound, advanced hardware integration, multi-user environments. That's usually the point where they begin to bump up against the limitations of a specific product (or their own knowledge and skills).

Personally, I really enjoy the problem solving aspects. Over the last two years, I've been able to run a pretty large assortment of exotic hardware and applications through my truck without negatively impacting the core functionality (Nav, XM radio, HD radio etc). I also try to maintain realistic expectations of performance and reliability. And above all, I keep in mind that IT'S A HOBBY!. It's not curing cancer or critical to ANYTHING of real importance in my life. It's just a VERY expensive toy.

VegasGuy

Comment

According to Auto App Mart DFX skin for RR is the most popular front end + skin. Just sayin..

Comment

Hey Vegas

Good so see you on the other side !

To the others - I am not party to the 3.5 beta (although have been on others) as its a 'private beta' so have not seen it in flesh, however I can say I have reported a lot of issues with 3.0/3.1/3.2 and not seen much progress in fixing them. I have heard some rumblings from those that are though......

I do have my fingers crossed but just doing some reseach on whats the alternatives if the results are not good. I think most of us are more than patient with Flux/CF but are all getting frustrated....

Just look at what the OEM's, iPads and other tablet based devices are doing.......

I dont want flashy - I want functional and reliable !

Ids
                          Last edited by ids; 02-23-2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
                            @whats77inaname: I think that reflects the market pretty well. If you like to "roll your own", then RR offers a LOT of flexibility. OM offers a more stuctured environment while maintaining it's "open source" cred. Centrafuse has always been targeted more to casual users than the die-hard "hacker". Each brings different advantages and limitations to the table. The other thing to consider is that once a carPC project reaches a certain point, matures if you will, many users want to expand into more esoteric realms....Audiophile sound, advanced hardware integration, multi-user environments. That's usually the point where they begin to bump up against the limitations of a specific product (or their own knowledge and skills).

VegasGuy
                            Exactly. I'm a network admin, so a lot of this stuff isn't rocket science, and I kinda like the challenge. It's one thing, however, when I'm working on my machine, b/c I can take my time. When it is someone else that wants something now-now-now, that gets on my nerves

Comment

Working...
                            X