ID3 Tag Reading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID3 Tag Reading

Just downloaded centrafuse - awesome software.

I think I'm having trouble with the ID3 tag reading function though. When I click on ID3 Reader in utilities, it just pops up a window with "Read" and "Close" buttons. If I click read, the window just pops back up. Close sends it away.

But ID3 tags still don't seem to be working - under Music Manager -> Categories for example, if I pick "Artists", it just shows the same three categories again - Artists, Album, Genre. Searching pulls up no results.

My music collection consists of MP3s, and AAC files ripped by iTunes (.M4A files).

Any help?

read should start reading in all your ID3 tags. You should see a number increase after each file read. Do you have AAC files added to your config.xml as a music extension? If so, maybe thats the problem...

david

Comment

Originally posted by veetid
      read should start reading in all your ID3 tags. You should see a number increase after each file read. Do you have AAC files added to your config.xml as a music extension? If so, maybe thats the problem...

david
      I've tried it both ways. The behavior is the same

Where does it try to read the tags from? All files and subdirectories under the configured Music folder?

Thanks,
      Bo

Comment

serendipity: yes it reads from the music folder you have specified in setup. I am surprised it doesn't show any of the files being read, because I have lots of error handling in that section and it wouldn't fail on all of them... something is going on...

david

Comment

I've got the same tag reading problem on a pc, but on the other it works well. Lucky for me it works on the carpc and fails on my desktop
          Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
          Celeron 1.2ghz
          256mb DDR-2 533
          80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
          Sb Live 5.1 w/ KXProject Drivers
          M2-ATX
          8" Lilliput TS LCD

100% installed and working :D

Comment

I have the problem if I scan MP3 tags from a burned CD/DVD. From HD it reads the tags OK. Strange.

Comment

The problem appears to be if your files are set to read only it will not read them. Hopefully it isn't trying to make any changes.
              Lee

Comment

This might be the whole problem... My id3 reading class opens the files read/write... so if files are set to read only it wouldn't work... I do this because its one class I use to open mp3's and either read their id3 information, or change it... This is used when ripping cd's to add id3 tag information and in the future a section to let you edit them...

I can add a seperate file open for the id3 reader to make it work with read only files....

david

Comment

That would be good. I keep my files read only to keep programs from changing them with out my knowlege.
                  Lee

Comment

veetid, could u possibly me a quick rundown of how your mp3-id3 tag database works? Like when i add mp3 files in my mp3 folder, does it see the new files and JUST update the new files? cause frodoplayer resyncs the ENTIRE database, which hopefully will be fixed soon in Frodoplayer take4... but if you can give me some details on that, id appreciate it! thanks again for the good work
                    '05 Acura TL w/ Navi & Bluetooth, JL Audio Cleansweep, JL Audio XR650 CSI, JL Audio XR650 CXI, JL Audio 300/4 Speaker Amp, Eclipse SW6123.4 12" Sub, JL Audio 250/1 Sub Amp, Optima D35 YellowTop Battery http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184473/1

Comment

Chita79: I already have some automation involved that keeps you from having to re-update the entire database... If you remove a directory or file from any file browser in the entire app, it will look to see if any of the files match a music extension and remove them also from your database... Also when you are ripping a CD, it will autmatically insert the new song information into the DB, which means your music instantly shows up without having to re-run.. Once I finish the file copier, it too will automatically append any music files straight to the DB... So it will take care of everything for you so you don't have to rescan all your MP3's...

As for monitoring a folder so that you can drag and drop using windows explorer and have them append into the DB, I am not sure... But once I finish my file-sync, this will defineltly also append all new info without having to re-scan...

david

Comment

I don't think the tag reeding problem is related to read only files, I have this problem only on 1 pc, on the other it works perfectly. The mp3 listed are the same, the two machines are in Lan, and the working pc reads the mp3 from a mapped network drive from the other pc
                        Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
                        Celeron 1.2ghz
                        256mb DDR-2 533
                        80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
                        M2-ATX
                        8" Lilliput TS LCD

Comment

Yea, but are you logging on with the same user from both machines? Perhaps the first machine has read/write priviligies, while the second machine has read-only rights on the mp3 host... (Just guessing here...)

Comment

the reading fails on the machine which phisically hosts the files, then I share this folder and from the other machine I can normally read tags
                            Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
                            Celeron 1.2ghz
                            256mb DDR-2 533
                            80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
                            M2-ATX
                            8" Lilliput TS LCD

Comment

Strange. My files are not read-only. The CarPC is basically a fresh machine that I just built, running Windows 2000. All it has is Windows 2k with all service packs and updates, music, iTunes, and centrafuse. Centrafuse works great in everything _other_ than tag reading.

Anything I could try? If I get a chance today, I'll make a "new" music directory with one MP3 in it and see if it can read that. What's strange is that it doesn't start reading and barf, it just does nothing as far as I can tell.

Appreciate the help - can't wait to get it working

EDIT: Just tried it on my desktop PC, and it doesn't work there either. I also made a test directory with just one MP3 and it won't read it. Maybe it's an ID3v1 vs v2 issue? Will Centrafuse read both?

Comment

Working...
                              X