Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CF requires a 1GHz processor?

David,

I see on the website you list "1Ghz processor or higher" as a requirement. Why is this? My 600Mhz laptop can run GPS software, play music, play DVDs / Video files. Why would I need that powerfull of a computer? And also, 256 MB of RAM?? Thats huge! Are you sure those are minimum requirements?

Scott

Originally posted by spdyscotty
    I see on the website you list "1Ghz processor or higher" as a requirement. Why is this? My 600Mhz laptop can run GPS software, play music, play DVDs / Video files. Why would I need that powerfull of a computer?
    To run Centrafuse.
    And also, 256 MB of RAM?? Thats huge! Are you sure those are minimum requirements?
    He's the developer. I'm quite sure he's sure.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

If this is true I can't run this on the laptop I was planning to use. Bogus.

Comment

Just try it, but CENTRAFUSE runs on Windows XP, which runs MUCH better with 256 over 128... I know I wouldn't run XP with 128... The memory requirements are all on the OS... The processor speed I just put... I have run it on an 800mhz and it worked fine... I just recommend a 1ghz or higher... Not saying it will not work on a slower machine...

I also did that website in 2 days with no sleep... I will be finishing it and spending more time on the details...

david

Comment

if your running xp, 256 is far from huge.....bare minimum I would say.......& I really wouldn't want to use any less than 512 on an xp machine if I had the choice...that's when xp will start to shine......xp loves ram...regardless of the apps your running
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Okay, I have to reinstall XP as I have some major issues right now. CF will not run but it's because my machine is all bugged out from the insane amount of crap on it. The older version of CF worked fine until the machine bugged out. XP runs with no problems at all (until I tried to hack something and F'ed it up). I'll let you know how it turns out. Maybe you could make a "minimum requirements" and a "recommended requirements" section?

I'll let you know how it runs on my machine once I reinstall everything.

Comment

sounds good... what is on the website right now is recommended... Minium I would say is 600mhz - 800mhz with 128 megs of ram...

note: basically if you can run XP then you can run CENTRAFUSE...

david

Comment

Sounds good!

Comment

Also, according to Microsoft, the recommended minimum is 128MB Ram and 300mhz processor. Although that processor speed will most likely be insuffient for playing high quality video and maybe even high quality audio. If XP is only being used to run a couple apps, I see no reason why 128mb RAM wouldn't be suffient. Microsoft in fact stated the OS will run with 64mb but 128 is recommended.

Comment

just speaking from personal experience from hundreds of computers at my office... Windows XP needs 256megs and doesn't run good until you give it 512... Microsoft is wrong...

david

Comment

Yes, generally speaking I agree. But, I only need to run your program and GPS software. I use the computer right now at my home desk. It works fine, I just can't have two many apps running and there can be a small lag. If I were using it at the office it would be annoying for sure. In the car though I really think it's going to ve fine. Regardless, I'll post my findings so others will know what to expect.

Scott

Comment

it will function with 128....but the way it functions could hardly be called running.....if you like to hit the power button...go get some coffee & a donut & return to a desktop then it will work.........but to really run xp you should have more than 256.....
                        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

turbocad6 - My laptop takes about 60 seconds to boot. In the car I will use hibernate, and it only takes about 20 seconds from that.

Comment

Originally posted by spdyscotty
                            If this is true I can't run this on the laptop I was planning to use. Bogus.
                            So you're getting upset with a developer who codes software for newer hardware than you presently possess?
                            I'd say that's even more bogus.
                            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I'm a little late, but I'm gonna chime in on the Windows + RAM discussion. I work as a support tech in an environment of in-house software and business class machines that always come with the latest M$ OS. We've known for a while that WinXP runs fine w/128Mb if you just want to sit back and look at the pretty desktop. If you want to actually use any apps with reasonable performance (by that I mean not having to wait while the PC struggles to draw the new window), 256 is a bare minimum. We never ship out a new box with WinXP and less than 512Mb and don't recommend upgrading to WinXP with a RAM upgrade to go with it.

What we're talking about here is the difference between a manufacturer's guideline and real-world use of the product. Experience proves that XP loves him some RAM. Now, you might get by with 128 if you aggressively go through the OS and turn off all non-vital services and performance hogs, but that's a fine line to walk in order to make sure you don't hobble the software that you want to have high performance (in this case, a dotNET app like Centrafuse). It's possible, but you might have to go through a bunch of different configurations before you find the magic one that works for you. In that case, once you get your fresh install up and before you start hacking again - make an image of the drive. That way, when you have to start over (and over), you'll save a WHOLE lot of time.

m2c
                              Ride: 2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD/Sheer Silver/Black Leather/factory HIDs.
                              MoPuter: Transflectivized Lilli 7", EPIA M-10000, 512Mb RAM, 160Gb WD, SBLive!, 54g WLAN, Holux GM-213, 160W M2-ATX PSU

Comment

Working...
                              X