Best DVD decoder to use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best DVD decoder to use?

I am looking for software to use with my external DVD player. Can anyone recommend something to use with the new CF?

Scott

The old Kazaa-Lite Mega Codec pack comes with Ligos, Elcard, and Cyberlink. If you video card MFG doesn't have their own deconder (ex: the nVidia one is definatly the best to use if you have an nVidia card), then one of those 3 usually works best.

Is there a newer/better all-in-one Codec pack I should be using besides the old KL Mega 1.01?

Comment

Okay, I was under the understanding I had to get a commercial program such as WinDVD or something? Is there a free codec I could use instead of buying (or using bottorrent )

Scott

Comment

Ok, well I just did a Google search for you and I came up with this:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

I thought K-Lite was dead after 1.01, but I guess there is now a 1.34 version. I don't know if it is legal or not (but I don't really care either ).

Comment

Thank's i'm going to give that a try before going after an entire program i guess.

Scott

Comment

Okay, I installed those codecs, but no go . After downloaded and installing WinDVD I got it to work on CF but for some reason the volume is much lower than mp3s. When playing the disc directly in WinDVD it works perfectly. In CF and Media Player the volume is way too low. I've checked the volume levels and everything but can't figure it out? Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Mabe uninstalling WinDVD and installing a different program will fix it?

Scott

Comment

Does anybody have a solution to this volume issue? I've done some extensive searching through old posts and this question has been posed many time and each without a proper answer. I'm really hoping someone has figured this one out.

Comment

When I installed the Codec Pack I linked to, the DVD Decoder option was unchecked by default. Try re-installing it and make sure to look at all the options. I basically check them all even though a lot are unchecked by default. When you check DVD Decoder, they have 4 different ones to choose from with radio buttons. Unfortunatly I don't know how to switch after install, so worst case you could try each by continually uninstalling/reinstalling the pack.

Comment

So do I not even need to have commecial DVD software installed then? I'm at work right now, but I'm going to give this a try tonight. I was pretty sure I selected the decoder, but don't remember four options. I might have missed it somehow.

Comment

theres a klite codec pack v2.50

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm
                    My 2002 F250 Install

Comment

If I were you I would stay away from those codec pck, they are known to cause crappy playback and other strange problems
                      Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
                      Celeron 1.2ghz
                      256mb DDR-2 533
                      80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
                      Sb Live 5.1 w/ KXProject Drivers
                      M2-ATX
                      8" Lilliput TS LCD

100% installed and working :D

Comment

Fixing dvd volume issue

The reason your dvd volume is so low is because DVD audio is AC3 audio. You need to go into control panel, AC3 settings and tweak the master volume up a bit. I normally tweak mine up 10dB or so. Also, klite codec packs are great for heaps of xvid, divx movies etc, but will not help you as a DVD decoder. on the Codec pack front I personally have found DefilerPak to be superior to the k-lite codecs.

JH

Comment

DVD decoders

Also in the Home theatre PC community forums that I frequent, the nVidia DVD decoder is by far the most highly acclaimed!

Comment

haak - Thank you, this is very good info. One question... in the control panel, where can I find AC3 audio?

Scott

Comment

AC3 in the control panel

It's actually called "AC3 Filter", its the first item in my control panel. If you don't have it you can install it by installing the defilerpak I've previously mentioned. If you don't want to install a whole other load of codecs, download DefilerPak, and just go through setup only checking "AC3Filter" to install. Whalah DVD audio controls in your control panel.

JH

Comment

Working...
                              X