How do I run things on startup???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I run things on startup???

I moved "Girder" and "Delorme Serial Emulator" from my startup folder to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run, but they still don't run when CF is set to be the shell. Where else can I load them from?

I really want CF to be my shell, but I need my IR-Man and more importantly GPS working too .

Setting Explorer.exe as an external app is pretty cool. It didn't load the desktop (which is kinda strange), but it does embed the "My Documents" window and from there you can navigate the whole PC.

you have to write a script or a batch file launching your apps and CF in the end, and use this script as shell
    Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
    Celeron 1.2ghz
    256mb DDR-2 533
    80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
    Sb Live 5.1 w/ KXProject Drivers
    M2-ATX
    8" Lilliput TS LCD

100% installed and working :D

Comment

if you make a script the shell... and say the script says
      Run CF
      Run Girder
      Run Delorme

try that?

edit
      good call frankino i r teh reading noob
      RIP 1993 civic sedan
      RIP 1993 civic Del Sol

Hello! VW Golf 1.8t

Comment

That's totally lame. I want to be able to use the CF settings to easily switch back-and-forth from CF as shell vs. explorer as shell... I don't want to have to edit the registry. Why doesn't HKLM\...\Run work? I have used other programs besides explorer as the shell before and the items in Run, RunOnce, etc. still worked (I think).

Maybe I could make those 2 apps windows services. I'm not using a bat file... it's just ugly.

David: It looks like you gotta add a StartUp script to CF for when its the shell (of just make it run things in HKLM\...\Run and thing in the Startup folder)

Comment

some startup folder in the CF directory where you can put shortcuts and/or batch files would be pretty easy to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by RPM_VR4
            That's totally lame. I want to be able to use the CF settings to easily switch back-and-forth from CF as shell vs. explorer as shell... I don't want to have to edit the registry. Why doesn't HKLM\...\Run work? I have used other programs besides explorer as the shell before and the items in Run, RunOnce, etc. still worked (I think).

Maybe I could make those 2 apps windows services. I'm not using a bat file... it's just ugly.

David: It looks like you gotta add a StartUp script to CF for when its the shell (of just make it run things in HKLM\...\Run and thing in the Startup folder)
            yea i totaly agree, i dont want to have to hack reg every time...
            1990 Jeep Cherokee
            2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
            2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Any one figure this out yet?
              1990 Jeep Cherokee
              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Nope. I'm still using APP6 to run an autoit script that loads Girder.exe and the Delorme Serial Emulator. I have to click APPS and then APP6 everytime I start up if I want to use my GPS or any of my Girder enabled input devices (steering wheel control, Pioneer remote control, Griffin Powermate knob, and F-key modifiers for my thumb-pad keyboard).

Comment

I will make another xml file you can edit to add parameters to launch something at start, resume, and exit....

david

Comment

Awesome! Are you still targeting Plugins for 1.5, or has that been pushed back to 1.6?

Comment

they will be in 1.5...

david

Comment

Originally posted by veetid
                        I will make another xml file you can edit to add parameters to launch something at start, resume, and exit....

david
                        Cool!!!
                        1990 Jeep Cherokee
                        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Awesome. If 1.5 makes the same amount of "changes for the better" as 1.4 was for 1.3, you should have the main program "ready-for-primetime" as they say (it will just be the plugins that are beta). I can't wait to get some sample source so I can start comming up with 1-million requests for the plugin-archetecture .

BTW: Awesome move putting Exit/Shutdown/Hibernate in the button-config. For some reason I always click Home or Apps before remembering that Exit is on the Tools window. Now it's on all 3 LOL. I'll remove it from the other 2 once I am done needing to exit all the time in order to tweak settings and skins (should be about 2 months after you are done with 2.0 and have no 2.1 betas yet ). Anyway, I say put as many possible commands in to buttonactions.xml as you can possibly think of. And make more of the buttons in to the xml too so that we can custom configure it all (phone, speech, gamma, FF, REW, eye, and all volume buttons are all things that some people need and others don't).

PS: It would eventually be nice to be able to configure all of that from within some advanced settings mode in CF, rather than having to edit XML files in a seperate app and with CF closed. I know, I know... the requests never stop coming do they? I just love "feature creep". I have been meaning to do a lot of this in SKINbedder myself, but I have to focus on getting a new skin method for v3.0 done first, so I do realize "configuration UI" does have to come later (once the configuration stops changing LOL).

Comment

Originally posted by veetid

david
                            I was thinking about this and being able to customize Start, Resume, and Exit scripts is definatly cool, however, when CF is set to run as the shell, I still think it should just automatically run everything in the registry under RunOnce and Run (plus maybe everything in the All Users StartUp folder).

Comment

Originally posted by anky1
                              if you make a script the shell... and say the script says
                              Run CF
                              Run Girder
                              Run Delorme

try that?

edit
                              good call frankino i r teh reading noob
                              This script only runs when the system boots from scratch right? When the system resumes from hyber, standby is there a way to execute this script?
                              Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
                              Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
                              zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
                              zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

Working...
                              X