Centrafuse Sound Quality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centrafuse Sound Quality

Has anyone else noticed that the sound quality of the mp3 decoder used by CF does not compare favorably to the sound quality of other mp3 players such as Winamp? Perhaps it's just me, but even with careful equalization I don't seem to get the same crispness I get from Winamp. Anybody else experienced this?

I love CF and am not ragging on it - it's me just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

I haven't noticed it. I supose with an oscilliscope one could make some measurements on frequency response on a control system with variable being front ends.
    Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

I have got the problem too. when master sound is too high (beetween 70 and 100 %) the sound scratch a lot.

I rememmber I have read a therad on this problem. It is perhaps an audio codec which cause the problem (.ax file i think)
      New prototype : 2DIN AUDI OEM-LIKE CARPC based on SYMPHONY II
      Motorized InDash Screen, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, SSD

Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V1
      Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V2 = LM-Lilliput Prototype

First project in Peugeot 306

Comment

I was thinking the samething today when I closed centrafuse and loading up winamp while I was testing my phidget encoder. The sound seemed more clear and crisp on winamp for some reason. The only thing I could think of was that winamp is old and has been perfected from time. So only time will tell with centrafuse.

2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

I went ahead and bought the Creative X-Fi ExtremeMusic sound card ($132.00 - ouch!), which significantly brightens the CF sound. I am pleased with the sound now. I used the "Enhancer" plugin in Winamp and that significantly improved Winamp's sound quality. I'm thinking that the sound quality of Winamp and CF would probably be on par without that plugin. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a way to use a plugin with CF so I took the hit on the new card.

Comment

Sound for me is great ...... and that's with the on board sound card ! EPIA board .......
            View the 260 Galloping Horses: [images]

Comment

I noticed that today.. The windows mediaplayer have more bass and much more clear sound.(have not checked the equlizer in CF thogh)

And i use DFX in winamp so thats just kicks ***!
              It would be great if cenrafuse interrigate with winamp.
              plugins/visuals/output effects etc etc.. much development for free there maybe
              80 GIG SATA
              512MB
              7 TFT Touch Super
              Pioner Slot in DVD-RW writer
              108 Mbit Wireless Lan
              100 M Bluetooth Range
              //Power Nisse

My Betasite -> http://haagen.se

Comment

I've been noticing lately how different programs will color the music differently, it really bugs me. In the car it isn't as noticeable but in my home setup it's really irritating to me. I was really careful about picking out my equipment and speakers to make sure it was all good quality stuff that the speakers had a really flat frequency response. My goal was sort of to hear exactly what the engineer/producer/studio dude wanted it to sound like. But whenever I play anything from my computer through the receiver depending on what program I use I can tell a definite difference. I wish there is some program that wouldn't flavor the music any. Do any of you feel this way?
                '99 Accord LX
                -------------
                Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

I do completely. I'm hoping that with CF 1.5 and the introduction of his SDK we will have some hardcore audiophiles/programmer types to come in and develop addon plugins for the audio aspect of CF. That would require, as you said, a flat, clean audio response, instead of it automatically receiving whatever post processing that it is. In other words, a clean, untampered with signal, RAW if you will, would be played, but if you install the "DXF" plugin for Centrafuse you could modify the audio signal to your heart's desire.

I mean we spend hundreds (and many times thousands) on equipment, however if the signal isn't pure, then it will never sound pure, no matter how much money you spend on the hardware.

Anyway, i agree with you 100%, Maukio.
                  replicant
                  Audi A4 (flickr pics)

Comment

My goal was sort of to hear exactly what the engineer/producer/studio dude wanted it to sound like.

I'm the opposite - I have a certain sound I want to hear and don't care what the engineer intended. I'm willing to modify hardware and software to get the sound I'm after.

Comment

I absolutely hate to say this, but I must...

I have been playing around with RoadRunner, just to keep up on things.
                      I've been using CF for a long time and love the functionality of it.

well, I am using the old version of winamp with Road Runner and the sound quality was night and day with CF. I couldn't believe the difference.

I'll equate it to a know variance ... FM Radio & a CD . You can hear the difference between them. RR was better as is winamp.

David, I love the app, and will buy it when released at whatever cost (don't rape me though ), however, are you doing something with the sound quality ??

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Don 944 LA
                        I absolutely hate to say this, but I must...

I have been playing around with RoadRunner, just to keep up on things.
                        I've been using CF for a long time and love the functionality of it.

well, I am using the old version of winamp with Road Runner and the sound quality was night and day with CF. I couldn't believe the difference.

I'll equate it to a know variance ... FM Radio & a CD . You can hear the difference between them. RR was better as is winamp.

David, I love the app, and will buy it when released at whatever cost (don't rape me though ), however, are you doing something with the sound quality ??

Don
                        What filetype are you playing? Try to disable Normalization in settings...

david

Comment

I have the same trouble with centrafuse and my x-fi.
                          The x-fi has a lot of DSP enhancement for the sound and I am not sure to get them in centrafuse... With roadrunner, it seems to be OK.
                          Does the EQ in centrafuse match the creative/windows eq?
                          Is it possible to get it's own eq in cf?

Comment

Originally posted by lchatela
                            I have the same trouble with centrafuse and my x-fi.
                            The x-fi has a lot of DSP enhancement for the sound and I am not sure to get them in centrafuse... With roadrunner, it seems to be OK.
                            Does the EQ in centrafuse match the creative/windows eq?
                            Is it possible to get it's own eq in cf?
                            the EQ in CF is it's own.... I wrote it... and the normalization DSP... it all uses DirectX...

Is it with all file formats? Does disabling normalization help? I do a lot of stuff in my normalization DSP and it was the first one I ever wrote,...

I have heard CF play on multiple systems and haven't experienced any sound issues... raw line unamplified line-out into a nice car amplifier, sounds great...

david

Comment

I was able to utilize the X-Fi DSP enhancements in CF. Just leaving the X-Fi default settings significantly brightened the sound. I am quite pleased with the sound quality now.

I was never real pleased with Winamp sound quality until I loaded the Enhancer plugin a couple of years ago. What a difference! I was able to accomplish the same thing in CF by using the X-Fi.

Comment

Working...
                              X