Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for night dimming

Can't remember if this was proposed previously, so here goes:

Rather than messing around with gamma and such, why not just overlay a click-through transparent window on top of CF? Allow adjustment controls for the background color and tranparency, and you would have almost infinitely customizable dimming. I have messed around with some of the window transparency applets that are available, and they seem to do exactly what we need.

Comments?
    IEI PSB-4710, 1.5Ghz P4, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, Lilliput 8" TS, M2-ATX, BU-353,
    Ikey SL75 keyboard, BT Mini Keyboard, WLAN, EVDO, IC-PCR100 (AM/FM/VHF), HQCT, Centrafuse 1.6...

I'd rather see a BRIGHTNESS setting, instead of the gamma setting that David coded in. Gamma is kind of useless, as it hardly makes images dimmer.
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

Google 'click through transparent window' for some apps to play with and code examples...
      Ikey SL75 keyboard, BT Mini Keyboard, WLAN, EVDO, IC-PCR100 (AM/FM/VHF), HQCT, Centrafuse 1.6...

Comment

What advantage does a click through semi-transparent window have over altering brightness/gamma settings?

Other solutions:

You could have girder send IR commands to your Lilliput via an IR-Blaster to lower its brightness.

You could use Ol33l's Gamma Control.

You could use a night-skin (this would allow embedded windows such as GPS to retain their brightness which could be a good or bad thing).

Personally I like my monitor as bright as possible all the time (at least when I am looking at it). One thing I have not seen anybody do yet is a gamma control that fades down the screen after inactivity and fades it back up when you "move the mouse" kinda like a screen-saver. That would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by RPM_VR4
          One thing I have not seen anybody do yet is a gamma control that fades down the screen after inactivity and fades it back up when you "move the mouse" kinda like a screen-saver. That would be cool.
          PowerDimmer
          http://www.whitsoftdev.com/powerdimmer/
          2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

Originally posted by justintime
            bravo. that's awesome
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

Make sure you set the 'Complete Fade in...' parameter to something like 3 seconds or so.

ALso, it is too bad that the minimum amount you can set in windows is 1 min. So it will take 1 min for the fade to 'trigger'. At that point, it will perform a 3 second transition from full bright to your desired brightness.
              2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

I'm pretty sure Power Dimmer is using window transparency code, it gives exactly the effect that I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by RPM_VR4
                  What advantage does a click through semi-transparent window have over altering brightness/gamma settings?
                  My knowledge of how each of the methods works is limited, but I think there is a difference. Gamma changes seem to mess with the colors, the translucent window effect is more like an overlay or filter. Subjectively the transparency thing looks better to me, anyway.

Maybe one of the graphics/coding folks here can explain it better.

Comment

Lifeboat: You should be able to give the exact same effect as an alpha-blend using gamma/brightness/contrast controls, but I guess people just havent had it adjusted for that look. ...or I could be totally wrong, but I don't see how it could be impossible to give the same effect using gamma/brightness/contrast.

JIT: I will check out power dimmer... sounds cool. That 1-min thing doesn't really work though... I would want it to fade out after 5-seconds of inactivity, and fade back to full after 1.5 seconds (and I wouldn't want it to dim very much either).

Comment

I would still much prefer to have both a day and night skin. I am gonna play with this powerdimmer thing though. Seems like a cool find.

Comment

I'm interested in this subject as well. Even on the lowest gamma setting, my screen is still too bright. I like the idea of a black overlay. That might do the trick.
                        2002 Grand Am progress :
                        [] - 80%
                        ...complete setup, but still need to make the install cleaner

Comment

Originally posted by mercury7
                          I'm interested in this subject as well. Even on the lowest gamma setting, my screen is still too bright. I like the idea of a black overlay. That might do the trick.
                          Gamma isn't really for dimming. More for adjusting the linear values of pixel data to the non-linear physical pixels. ( More here )

For you winxp folk, anyone seen this?

Backlight Control Interface
                          GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Correct! GAMMA is useless. no idea why some folks put gamma 'dimming' on their frontends (CentraFuse is one). BRIGHTNESS setting is what we really need here. Same effect of an overlay. I have assigned a hotkey to PowerStrip, and created two settings. One bright, the other 50% less bright. I can switch via a hotkey.... not perfect, still working on it to make it more usable.
                            2002 Honda CR-V

Comment

I don't believe I'm in such a minority here. With all my stuff turned up to max, I still wouldn't mind if the LCD was even brighter... BRIGHTER = BETTER. I agree that it can be a little distracting at night when you are not looking at the screen, but I got use to that fairly fast. I would rather have full brightness when I'm not using the LCD than have to use the LCD at a lowered brightness. That is why the only solution I would consider would have to return to full brightness upon activity (for text, icons, and embedded apps at least... the skin background could remain dimmed I suppose).

Comment

Working...
                              X