Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TMC support in CF, how will you solve it ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMC support in CF, how will you solve it ?

Hello David,

I met with JC60 today at the show and we where discussing different aspects about Centrafuse, Racemiers radio and GPS.

I assume you will have native support for Racemiers radio since it's the best and more or less _only_ solution for in-car radio.
    But how will you solve the TMC bit for Destinator ?
    Do we have to use a TMC/GPS reciever like the GNS unit, or will you extract the TMC-data from the radio and merge that with the GPS data from any NMEA compatible unit (UBlox for example) ?

If option 2 (extracting TMC/RDS data from the radio) then please make it so that it is possible to use two modules, because only a few radio stations transmit TMC data and in most cases it is not the ones you'd regulary listen two. If you make it so that it supports two modules, then there's also the possibility of using the second module for alternate frequency searching.

CF 1.6 looks very nice by the way

/M

Hi Maximus,

are you sure, that Destinator is able to use the TMC data ?

As far as i know, Destinator ist *NOT* able to use TMC correctly.
    Thats the reason why i switched the software for my pocket pc from Destinator to Tom Tom.

- Superbowl
    ---
    i never drink water cos fish ***** in it. (w.c. fields)

Comment

D3 doesn't but I got the impression that D5 would.

Originally posted by David
      It will be sold with an OEM version Destinator based on their 5 series navigation application with integrated RDS traffic and much more....

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus
        D3 doesn't but I got the impression that D5 would.
        That would be good news, but iīd like to see that first. A friend of mine is working in that business .. and my last information is that right now destinator canīt use TMC.

But .. time will show.

- superbowl
        ---

Comment

D3 does not do TMC - but watch out Freedrive may via another route.

NB - TMC in the EU is free in GB you have to pay for it now so most PDA software dont even support it currently either.

Terran
          My Project Site

Comment

Hi,

> TMC in the EU is free in GB you have to pay for it

how do they handle it ? As far as i know, TMC is a service like RDS, which is sent out via the radio broadcast-signal.

How do they distinguish who has paid a fee and who hasnīt ? That should only be possible in the navigation software.

Back to Destinator .. my actual information is that Destinator is still not able to use the TMC signals.

- Superbowl
            ---

Comment

Originally posted by superbowl
              Hi,

> TMC in the EU is free in GB you have to pay for it

how do they handle it ? As far as i know, TMC is a service like RDS, which is sent out via the radio broadcast-signal.

How do they distinguish who has paid a fee and who hasnīt ? That should only be possible in the navigation software.

Back to Destinator .. my actual information is that Destinator is still not able to use the TMC signals.

- Superbowl
              RE TMC - its software locked out... with out the codes etc its hard to use even though you can pick up the signal.

Re Freedrive - its would use data across the net from several free better sources...

Terran
              My Project Site

Comment

Originally posted by superbowl
                And it's wrong ... Destinator PN (should be what others are calling "5") does support TMC. You have to use a TMC enabled GPS device for this.

In a german radio projekt, they are using 2 tuners, as one is doing background scans and/or collecting rds/tmc data. A way to handle TMC would be multiplexing gps and tmc data on a virtual serial port, so it looks like a "real" TMC enabled GPS device.

Comment

Originally posted by krog
                  And it's wrong ... Destinator PN (should be what others are calling "5") does support TMC. You have to use a TMC enabled GPS device for this.
                  Contry dependant... see pocketgps.co.uk for more info...

Terran
                  My Project Site

Comment

http://www.tmcforum.com/en/about_tmc...ices_today.htm

/M

Comment

Hi Maximus,

it was nice having you over here, even though you did leave the nekkid blondes in your car

Some good info, I hope to have some details on how we will handle TMC soon!

Joachim
                      List of front-ends/usefull apps
                      XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

There is some info here as well... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...12&postcount=3

Terran
                        My Project Site

Comment

Originally posted by JC-S60
                          it was nice having you over here, even though you did leave the nekkid blondes in your car

Some good info, I hope to have some details on how we will handle TMC soon!
                          Hey JC, thanks for the chat the other day.
                          The blonds weren't too interested in cars, they just wanted to head back to the hotel so they stayed in the car to keep me from staying too long...
                          Looks like a great product you have there, some serious hours that have been spent on that project.

I was hoping that David would chime in and give us his thoughts... maybe I'm a bit off with the topic "how will you solve it". Maybe I should have asked "what are your thoughts and plans".

Using two Racemier-radios would probably be the best, but also most expensive solution. Using just a single tuner is a no-go (IMHO) since over here they only transmit TMC on one nation wide station, which is a non-comercial, old-folks-style, station that I wouldn't listen on even if I got paid doing it. Using one tuner would mean that most people are "forced" into mp3 playback while using TMC or non-TMC mode while listening to their regular stations.

/M

Comment

There are TMC enabled GPS receivers... This is more likely the best solution... I will post some info about the hardware once I get more details...

david

Comment

Originally posted by veetid
                              There are TMC enabled GPS receivers... This is more likely the best solution... I will post some info about the hardware once I get more details...

david
                              Like this... http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/392

This works using the GNS TMC protacol and your looking at Ģ1800 for the SDK.... check on e of my earler posts on the subject.... ( Plus I have this one )

The is also one ( http://www.royaltek.com/index2.php?o...do_pdf=1&id=89 ) The Roadiator from Royaltek which uses their Royaltek protacol v1.0 for TMC... I could not get info about this as they did not reply.

Both as I understand it fit the extra TMC strings in to the NMEA GPS string.... and then decode it.

Now - The TMC codes need to be on the map ( which D3 has ) BUT more critacally they have to be enabled in the software. Now what I mean here is that in the UK they ( ITS Holdings who own the first TMC service ) are chaging for it now therefore to prevent been hit with a great big fee the software houses provent the use of this data.

Some have signed up with RAC Trafficmaster to their new system but I dont expect to see any thing in the next 12 months for PDAs let alone PCs.

The best option is to drag this accross the net... and Gobby has that in hand for FD at some point.

Short answer - forget it.. and if you can get it working its not worth it.. there are better ways.

Terran
                              My Project Site

Comment

Working...
                              X