Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few Destinator questions...

Hi guys

Only really getting to grips with CF and Destinator now etc, and so I got a few questions..

1. The POI database... how far around the current point does it search, ie: 10 miles, 20/30 etc and can this be set anywhere?

2. Regarding the POI database, when you select the type of POI you are looking for, and that POI has a subcategory, you cannot seem to select the global category. For example, if I'm looking for Restaurants, I click the POI, then restaurant category, but as it has a sub-category, if I click OK it goes into the subcategory list, none of which I'm looking for. If I open the program from the DestinatorApps folder, and use the POI, I'm able to just select Restaurants, no sub and it shows all the ones in my area. Is there something that can be done so I dont have to select the subcategory, and I can select the main category.

3. Regarding info such as heading, and speed / alt etc, is there any way to get the information from this feed and display it in a more prominent fashion, so the heading and mph etc can be much larger, and put somewhere specific?

Thanks guys, I'm loving CF and my Mazda skin is coming along nicely, albeit not a million miles away from the original CF one - just a bit slicker, and more tied in.

Lookin forward to replies.

Crags

I'd like to just second the request to have the heading/speed/alt be made more readable. I like being able to double-check my speedo and compass (the main reason I like the GPS Task Pane in MSS&T) and that's almost impossible the way Destinator is now. Options to always show speed and other info would allow people who don't need/want it to turn it off.
    Ride: 2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD/Sheer Silver/Black Leather/factory HIDs.
    MoPuter: Transflectivized Lilli 7", EPIA M-10000, 512Mb RAM, 160Gb WD, SBLive!, 54g WLAN, Holux GM-213, 160W M2-ATX PSU

Comment

Originally posted by Thann
      I'd like to just second the request to have the heading/speed/alt be made more readable. I like being able to double-check my speedo and compass (the main reason I like the GPS Task Pane in MSS&T) and that's almost impossible the way Destinator is now. Options to always show speed and other info would allow people who don't need/want it to turn it off.
      Does your car not have a speedometer? I never have understood why some people want to see their speed so bad on the screen when it's so clearly and easily seen on their dash. I can understand direction, but not speed...

david

Comment

GPS speed is more accurate...
        The speedometer just gives you a big lie....

Comment

Originally posted by Cirion
          What kind of car do you have? My GPS and odometer stay just about exactly the same.. If anything GPS messes up sometimes, odometer never does...

Unless you change and put larger tires on your car or other various things, but you can always adjust your odometer to take these changes into consideration...

I just don't see the point....

david

Comment

Here in Norway the Speedometer must show more than the actual speed...
            So it does.

In the OBD-II plugin I see the same speed as my GPS gives. And a GPS is acurate when the speed is above 1.5km/h.

Comment

I too don't trust my needle. I do have custom rims/tires plus I had to pull the needle and put them back on when I changed the gauge-faces. Besides, I just like seeing a digital read-out of my speed in addition to the analog needle. Plus I want something always showing that goes strait to GPS when clicked... it might as well be a speed/heading readout.

Comment

It's not so much a critical thing, other than simple aesthetics really - if it doesn't do it and it's not configurable to do it, that's fine - I was simply asking.

I'm more bothered about the other things, such as the POI selection, and being able to select top level categories, without having to descend into the sub levels. Is this possible to do?

Also, one more thing I just thought of... Destinator works out a kind of ETA / ETR etc of the current route you are on. One thing I wondered was is this live, and does it update dependant upon speed etc, or is it simply calculated once from the route when it is first acquired, and that's it? I'm basically wondering if I embark on a route, then stop half way maybe, or if I'm doing a better speed than it first thought, does the ETA change to reflect this, or does it simply stay the same as when it was first generated. I'm wondering if basically it works as a kind of trip calculator.

I've also been messing with things such as the trip planner by accessing the D3 launcher direct instead of through CF, and the trip planner works fine there, along with the history - yet neither function from within CF. Is this simply something that has not been implemented yet, and is coming with the final release, or is it a technical problem with using these functions?

Sorry about the myriad of questions, but I'm REALLY getting into it all now, and I keep trying to eek more and more out of CF and D3 lol

Comment

Originally posted by veetid
                  What kind of car do you have? My GPS and odometer stay just about exactly the same.. If anything GPS messes up sometimes, odometer never does...

Unless you change and put larger tires on your car or other various things, but you can always adjust your odometer to take these changes into consideration...

I just don't see the point....
                  In the UK (and probably the rest of Europe too) the law states that a speedo can read up to 10% over but must never underread. Most manufacturers aim for 5% over. Also the speedo reading is affected by things such as tread depth.

Now add in the large number of speed cameras in the UK, and you get pedantic sods like me who use the GPS speed reading to go through the camera at exactly 60.0MPh

Fortunately I don't care if CF displays the speed or not, since my GPS receiver is an origin B2 which sits in my instrument cluster and tell me this anyway (as well as what cameras are coming)

Comment

Im definataly in favour of more visible speed and direction info too, even if its just for the "cool" factor, passengers love it, but as others mentioned above it is nice to see a more accurate speed rating....dont think I've ever heard of a car with an accurate speedo, especially at higher speeds.

300zx TT Manual
                    - VoomPC Case, M1-atx PSU
                    - VIA EPIA MII-12000
                    - 60gb slimline, 512mb, DVD/CD
                    - 3G/GPRS PCMCIA Data Card
                    - USB GPS receiver
                    - USB WinTV FM
                    - 7" VGA Touch screen
                    - Pioneer Steering remote
                    - Creative Extigy USB Sound

Comment

Does your car not have a speedometer? I never have understood why some people want to see their speed so bad on the screen when it's so clearly and easily seen on their dash. I can understand direction, but not speed...

david
                      OK, well here's one reason: my truck didn't come from the factory with 35" tall tires but that's the way I want it to be. So until I can get my $1500 gear swap done so that I can then cough up ~$400 for a tuner to fine tune the performance and adjust the speedo's accuracy,

*it would be nice*

to be able to see what the GPS says my speed is. One other reason mentioned in this thread is the "cool factor", which is indeed a factor. Passengers will stare at it for hours on end. I mean, how many people in this forum really use their GPS for any routing to destinations unknown on a daily basis? I use routing when I'm going on a road trip to a place I've never been before, but other than that it's just for the "ooh - look where we are now". And double-checking my speed until I get the speedo adjusted.

I agree with the other posts that suggest this was just a "hey, if possible" request, not really a necessity - I just figured if someone else wanted it too, then I wasn't the only one that thought it would make a difference.
                      Ride: 2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD/Sheer Silver/Black Leather/factory HIDs.
                      MoPuter: Transflectivized Lilli 7", EPIA M-10000, 512Mb RAM, 160Gb WD, SBLive!, 54g WLAN, Holux GM-213, 160W M2-ATX PSU

Comment

david
                        I never seen car without clock, and yet it is there in corner of cf. Come to think of it, i never saw car without rearview mirror, and still some of us are installing cams to get parking view in cf and yes every car i owned came with radio... i just dont get it, what possible use would anybody have for radiator...

Edit: Bottomline is: we really dont _need_ carpcs, its just damn _cool_ to have one!

Comment

Originally posted by Cirion
                          If your speedometer isn't reporting accurate speed, then you need to get it calibrated. If your tire heigh has changed or you've changed gearing in your transmission or rear end, then it's probably off. Recalibration will take care of that.

If you havent' shanged anything that would require recalibration of the speed o and it's still inaccurate, then replace the damn speedometer!

I'm with David, here. You have a speedometer built into the vehicle for a reason. It's also located right in front of your face for a reason. If you want to use your PC to calculate speed and forgo a speedometer, you're asking for trouble, in my opinion.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                            If your speedometer isn't reporting accurate speed, then you need to get it calibrated. If your tire heigh has changed or you've changed gearing in your transmission or rear end, then it's probably off. Recalibration will take care of that.

If you havent' shanged anything that would require recalibration of the speed o and it's still inaccurate, then replace the damn speedometer!

I'm with David, here. You have a speedometer built into the vehicle for a reason. It's also located right in front of your face for a reason. If you want to use your PC to calculate speed and forgo a speedometer, you're asking for trouble, in my opinion.
                            LOL! You really don't understand laws do you... Here it's against the law to have the speedometer show less than 5% over actual speed. And I dont need to see the GPS speed, but it would be nice to see it, since it's accurate.

If I take my car to calibrate my speedometer it will still show too much But if the speedometer does show accurate speed or anything below I will have to get that fixed so that it will show to much. These stupid laws are made to make most people drive slower than the speed limit...

BTW my OBD-II is accurate and gives same speed as the GPS. So the my speedometer has to add a few % somehow.

Comment

It's a proven fact that my Speedo is off as you approach ~80 MPH. I've tested with two GPSs and the GPSs are synched as the Speedo shows anywhere from 1-5 MPH off (depending on speed).

If your GPS speed is ever off, you've got some problems with that reciever of yours. I'd trust the GPS reciever more than the car's speedo.

Comment

Working...
                              X