Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't brows by ARTIST anymore???

This is VERY strange.

Just regen'd my carPC, put on a fresh install of CF1.6 - all good. Media drive was untouched so I rebuilt my library and it worked fine. (although some albums appear with none of their tracks appearing within.)

But I had a lot of duplicate files and oddball tags and such, so I used Itunes (Evil, I know, but it re-sorts things into clean folders after I get them retagged) to get them all into a clean directory structure. I straightened out tags (copied ID3v1 to v2 tags for several files without v2 tags in place) and made sure everything was nicely tree'd up in the directory, and then deleted my OLD music directory (D:\MP3)

So now everything is in D:\Music instead. I pointed Centrafuse at D:\Music, rebuilt the library. It finds the right number of songs (~4500).

Click Media Manager - Music - Artist and get NOTHING. In fact the header says "Artist ... 1/4" but the "4" are it still giving me the option to browse by "Artist/Album/Genre/Path." Drilling down on "Artist" again gives me header "Artist/Artist" and an empty grid. I can browse by ALBUM... but not by Artist or Genre.

Oh, also, for some albums, the album name and cover art appears, but when I click into the album, it still has no tracks. I can play these tracks if I browse by directory into the appropriate location, but not from the Library itself.

Since I'm not in too deep, I uninstalled CF, deleted the CF folder, and tried this all again. Same result. I'm confused.

Sorry this was wordy but I wanted to be descriptive.

Thanks for any assistance.

For some reason I suspect Itunes must have messed up my tags SOMEHOW but I can't figure out how... every other app I throw them at recognizes the tags just fine. I've also installed CF on my desktop PC and built a library from the same tree of files... same problem. CF won't see anything "by artist" and other apps will.

Comment

If it helps, I cleared the error log, rebuilt the library, and attempted to browse tracks by artist. Here's the error log that results:

Code:
      4/27/2006 8:11:02 AM
      Invalid procedure call
         at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextErrorHandling(Int32 hr)
         at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS dbParams, Object& executeResult)
         at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult)
         at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, Object& executeResult)
         at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
         at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
         at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReader()
         at centrafuse.playlist.addquery(skinListboxItem temp)

Comment

Oh, since I did NOT delete my original folder of music, I tried rebuilding my library from there, and I can browse THAT library "by artist" as normal. It looks like ITunes did something strange to the tags of the folder structure it created (although as I said, other apps seem to have no trouble dealing with these files). I am still having difficulties with the "empty album" problem described above though. Plus, of course, the hours I spent reorganizing and cleaning out my "new" music folder are wasted if I can't get CF to recognize the tags. Poop.

Comment

Since you saved the original files that work... Open the original and the iTunes copy using an ID3 tag editor such as Tag & Rename... Look for a difference in the Artist field... I agree iTunes did something...

Tag & Rename:
          http://www.softpointer.com/

The logs look like there is some sort of parsing error... maybe special characters added to the end of the artist string? Who knows...
          B Smoov
          Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

Comment

Originally posted by buurin
            Since you saved the original files that work... Open the original and the iTunes copy using an ID3 tag editor such as Tag & Rename... Look for a difference in the Artist field... I agree iTunes did something...

Tag & Rename:
            http://www.softpointer.com/

The logs look like there is some sort of parsing error... maybe special characters added to the end of the artist string? Who knows...

The odd thing is, I RE-tagged a lot of my files with T&R after I let Itunes get its filthy hands on them, and even those files are still not working in CF. I may just use my standby Roadrunner installation until 1.7 comes out since it's supposed to deal with tags a little differently.

Comment

Originally posted by zerodb
              The odd thing is, I RE-tagged a lot of my files with T&R after I let Itunes get its filthy hands on them, and even those files are still not working in CF. I may just use my standby Roadrunner installation until 1.7 comes out since it's supposed to deal with tags a little differently.
              Well... in the spirit of beta testing, i would suggest investigating further and find out why your songs are not appearing and why no one else seems to have this issue...

It would be in your best interest, so that it can get fixed in time for 1.7, else you're going to be waiting till 1.8 when you realize its not fixed in 1.7

If nothing else put a copy of a good file, and a bad file in a zip file and send it to me via www.yousendit.com and i'll try to figure it out
              B Smoov
              Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

Comment

Originally posted by buurin
                Well... in the spirit of beta testing, i would suggest investigating further and find out why your songs are not appearing and why no one else seems to have this issue...

It would be in your best interest, so that it can get fixed in time for 1.7, else you're going to be waiting till 1.8 when you realize its not fixed in 1.7

If nothing else put a copy of a good file, and a bad file in a zip file and send it to me via www.yousendit.com and i'll try to figure it out

Yeah, I'll do a little creative comparing when I get home... I'd really like to see why this is going on. I'll send some your way too and see if you spot any anomalies.

Comment

I've been looking at the tags and can't see anything obviously wrong.

What's even stranger is that I think it's an isolated couple of files causing problems. I've tried pointing it at several of my "artist" subdirs and it works fine, but if I try to look at my whole music directory, the library database blows up. I think I'm just going to kill this pile of music and start over again with my backup collection. A few hours of retagging isn't worth all this hassle!

Comment

Working...
                  X