VFD feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFD feedback

I am going through my bugs and I came across a report of the parallel VFD not functioning properly.

I also read some posts about it working properly. How many have the parallel VFD working and how many is it not working for?

The two VFD's I had broke, so I do not have one to test with, but the code hasn't changed since it was working with them.

david

Well, call me goofy, but until I now I didn't even notice the VFD support.

I just ordered up a couple of displays from an eBay vendor. I should have them in a week. I'll be able to work on this with you then!
    :: Mark

Comment

What does the VFD display?

I have been to maxtrix orbital and I have seen many cool VFDs but I am wondering what displays on it.

Song title?
      Album?

Volume?

Visualization?

Might be a cool idea to make crazy VFD visualizations or maybe something like this

2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Originally posted by mbkowns
        What does the VFD display?
        David has a list of things that Centrafuse can display inherently, plus "custom text".

Firing up the 1.6 UI here at work gives me the options of "Title, Duration, Elapsed Time, Status, Play Mode, Current Mode, Date, Time". I would bet he's got an API for plugins to get to it as well.

Might be a cool idea to make crazy VFD visualizations or maybe something like this
        The VFD support is designed to be text only.

Comment

what about these?

lol

http://www.matrixorbital.com/index.p...d-graphic-lcds
          2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Originally posted by mbkowns
            Oh, graphic LCD panels most definitely exist (I use 'em for playing around and at work), but Centrafuse (at least in 1.6) is only setup for text.

Comment

I'm only on 1.4, but I could give it a try. Due to the fact that i'm usually listening to XM, I mainly use LCDSmartie on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa
                I'm only on 1.4, but I could give it a try. Due to the fact that i'm usually listening to XM, I mainly use LCDSmartie on mine.
                In 1.4 you have to setup your VFD by manually editing the config file in the system folder... In 1.6 is is integrated into settings like all other settings...

david

Comment

LCD kinda working

I have a 4 x 20 char LCD wired up to the parallel port and it works displaying the text of the title and artist, but it kind of goes out of sync after a while, and displays most of the characters in the artists name and the song title, but intersperses them with garbage characters. So after 10 minutes or so it's pretty much unreadable because of the garbage characters.

I'm going to switch over to using LCDSmartie and just displaying the temperature of the motherboard and free RAM and a few other things I think. I don't know how much use this feature gets amongst Centrafuse users - I think most didn't know text LCD's were supported. You can pick a 16 by 2 line LCD panel up on ebay for 5 bucks but you have to have soldering skills to wire it up.

I have a spare 4 x 20 veetid - I can mail it to ya for nix if you need one to test - just cause I love Centrafuse.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTones
                    I have a 4 x 20 char LCD wired up to the parallel port and it works displaying the text of the title and artist, but it kind of goes out of sync after a while, and displays most of the characters in the artists name and the song title, but intersperses them with garbage characters. So after 10 minutes or so it's pretty much unreadable because of the garbage characters.
                    I'm curious... How long is the cable you're using, and is it shielded or a ribbon? It sounds like you might be getting noise on the wire more than anything else.

David... I got my displays last night, I'll wire up a cable tonight and start playing.

Comment

I have an EPIA board which has a parallel header on the MB. I connected a ribbon cable up to that, and a shielded parallel printer cable to the ribbon, which was quite long. I'm going to take out the printer cable and just use the ribbon cable with my new 16x2 display, so we'll see how that goes. I got no corruption using other display software like LCD Smartie - so I don't think it was hardware related. I'll keep that in mind though.

Be interested in how you go Mark.

Comment

Well, I just wired up a cable, plugged it all in and it looks like I probably crossed a line. All I get is a line of solid blocks across the bottom. Centrafuse _is_ trying to write to the display, you can see it clear and then the blocks come back.

I'm out of time to mess with it this morning, and I'm gone for the weekend, but I'll be back Sunday night.

More when I know more!

Comment

Soldering VFD display

Yeah soldering the parallel connector is an exercise in patience. I got an electronic engineer mate to do it because I don't have the skills - in exchange for me creating a website for him.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTones
                            ...I got an electronic engineer mate to do it .... in exchange for me creating a website for him.
                            AHHAHAHHH!!!!

Sorry but I don't think it was a good deal...
                            New prototype : 2DIN AUDI OEM-LIKE CARPC based on SYMPHONY II
                            Motorized InDash Screen, Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, SSD

Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V1
                            Home Made In-Dash 7" Lilliput V2 = LM-Lilliput Prototype

First project in Peugeot 306

Comment

bump...

Any word on if the VFD output is working? I don't have a working VFD and I can order one for testing, but it worked before mine broke...

midiwall, anyone else... did it work for you? if not what problems are you having...

david

Comment

Working...
                              X